SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2008, 09:24 AM
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Discussion
EF Edge, Extra, or Yak???

Hi Guys,

I'm a rank noob when it comes to electric planes (mostly fly turbine jets and helis). I think I have whittled the selection down to one of the EF planes because I like the complete combo setup. Nothing is left to chance. But I don't know which one. Which is the nicest flying, most neutral airframe that still retains decent 3d ability?

Bascially, what I am asking, is what is the ultimate 3S1P plane available?
Jeremy300 is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy300
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2008, 09:32 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
I don't know the Edge or Yak, but the Extra (47") is a great flying airplane. Very light, very stable, excellent 3D. However, the tail surfaces are a little thin and need reinforcement.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 06, 2008, 12:13 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Extreme Flight has some great planes, and all of them sure fly VERY well, but if your asking for the "Ultimate 3S1P Plane" I would have to say that you need to look at the 3DHobbyshop.com collection.

They have a 47" Yak, Katana, Extra SHP, and now a Velox. All of which fly extremely well on 3S 2100 packs.

Each of the birds has their own flying characteristics, but the Extra SHP and the Velox really shine. The Extra is perfect for a first balsa 3D plane and it's one that you will keep on hand LONG after you learn all the moves. I've had one in my hanger since the release, and will be replacing it with another if it ever gives out.

The Velox is the newest release from 3DH in the 47" market, and it is an absolute BLAST. On 3S the Velox likes to float around and is perfect for low flying 3D. It's rock solid in any attitude and will perform stunts that haven't been named yet.

I love my EF Extra, so don't get me wrong, but I know my 3DH Extra SHP gets more airtime. 3DHobbyshop.com also offers combos on their planes, and if you ever have any questions, you can call 3DH and speak to Ben personally, or ask it here on one of the many 3DH threads and you'll get a response, often in a mater of minutes from one of the many 3DH disciples.

3DH 47" Extra SHP Thread
3DH 47" Velox Thread
3DH 47" Katana Thread
3DH 37" Yak Thread
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:02 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
the ultimate 3s1p plane :The 3dhobbyshop.com velox

What is your 3d expierience.

However you need to explain more than that--what are you looking for?

3d? Precision? Pattern?

When you say 3s1p what batteries are you talking about?

All these things take into account on this selection.

All these questions need to be answered first

For instance if you tell me pattern/precision I will tell you to buy the 3dhs Katana.

If you tell me you want to learn 3d i will tell you the 3dhs 47" Extra SHP.

If you tell me you already know 3d and want a sick aircraft 3dhs velox all the way.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:22 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Jeremy, while I love all of our small electric planes, the Extra is my favorite. It is the lightest of the 3 you mention and is as capable as any 3S plane on the market. Sure, it may have been around a bit longer than some of the others, but this does not diminish its abilities. It is a proven airframe that has stood the test of time and is the most scale in appearance of any of the 3S aerobatic planes on the market. It is 100% capabable of any maneuver you want to do and remains one of our best sellers (over 5000 sold worldwide!). The current version has thicker tail surfaces that do not require additional reinforcement. This plane rocks on 3S and is equally capable of flying any 3D or precision maneuver.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:40 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
...The current version has thicker tail surfaces that do not require additional reinforcement...
Excellent. A buddy is rehabbing an EF Extra and putting 1/4" tail surfaces on it. He is almost finished. I will have to look into a new version.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 06, 2008, 01:49 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
The Edge also has the thicker surfaces, I like it the best of the three, probably b/c I like the blue/yellow paintjob and have always intended to put the RB decals on, but have never gotten around to it. Maybe someday I'll have time to actually finish the job!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:01 PM
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I can fly all disciplines whether its pattern, precision, or 3d. I am looking for an electric plane that can KEEP UP WITH ME without breaking the bank (or airframe ) and the 3S setups appear to be the best suited. I do not want foamies or non-scale looking planes.

I do agree that the EF Extra is the most scale looking of the bunch and it certainly is a good looking airplane.

I like all the 3DHS planes as well..

My head is going to explode trying to decide which one!!!!!!
Jeremy300 is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy300
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,236 Posts
I'd go with the EF Extra in between the 3 you've mentioned. Can't go wrong with it.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:24 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
I dont know now about the Extra being the most scale. The Edge 540 is a scale mammy Jammy.

Mike
Mike Hall is online now Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:33 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
If you want to go EF the extra is a wonderful airframe, I had one with over 200 flights on it beofre i sold it off to updrade to the SHP.--however given that you can fly everything--the 3dhs velox is the only 47" 3s plane on the market with airfoiled tail feathers, and scale functioning sfg's. Not to mention carbon gear, pre installed blind nuts, ball link actuators, and a canopy latch--it is the now, and the best IMHO.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
the 3dhs velox is the only 47" 3s plane on the market with airfoiled tail feathers...
The Fliton AJ Extra also has airfoiled tail feathers, and its in the same class size and weight - only 3" bigger.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 03:18 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malves
The Fliton AJ Extra also has airfoiled tail feathers, and its in the same class size and weight - only 3" bigger.

True, however the AJ is 3" bigger and please correct me if I am wrong require modifications for strength.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 03:44 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy300
Thanks for the replies guys.

I can fly all disciplines whether its pattern, precision, or 3d. I am looking for an electric plane that can KEEP UP WITH ME without breaking the bank (or airframe ) and the 3S setups appear to be the best suited. I do not want foamies or non-scale looking planes.

I do agree that the EF Extra is the most scale looking of the bunch and it certainly is a good looking airplane.

I like all the 3DHS planes as well..

My head is going to explode trying to decide which one!!!!!!
You wouldn't go wrong with any of the planes mentioned so far; I would argue that the EF or 3DHS will be a more pleasurable build than Fliton. I love my EF Extra but agree with Numbskull that my SHP gets more stick time (but I'm primarily focused on 3D and not very concerned about scale looks). I own a lot of planes (lost count) but if I had to pick one plane it would be the 3DHS SHP. Since you specifically asked about the EF planes then I say the Extra or Edge, Yaks tend to be less forgiving.
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Jan 06, 2008, 03:48 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
True, however the AJ is 3" bigger and please correct me if I am wrong require modifications for strength.
This one didn't...video shot back in May/07.http://youtube.com/watch?v=56kKxC5OJvs