HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:57 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i had a spare 40mm EDF with a brushless motor and ESC so i put these into the wing to make it an EDF wing the bare cores,keel,motor,EDF,ESC,receiver weighed in at 94.2grams so say i add to that another 30 for covering 30 for a battery 20 for elevons and winglets 10 for servos thats a total of 184.2 grams a mini speedwing weighs 224-252grams and gets pushed around with 60grams of thrust my wing will have around 100grams of thrust for a lot lighter wing does anyone see any problems?
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:17 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hi, your wing is nice! Are you using a 5800kV feigao? It will be very fast! Use the hobby filler in the imperfections, itīs fine and will solve your problem.
About the weight of your setup I think Nick can help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
this is the second wing i have cut so its got alot of lines thru the foam where the hot wire wobbled im not sure how to fix it but i managed to get a set of cores cut out im thinking about making a ply keel like on the mini speedwings that gets glued between the two wing half's also mine come out to 670mm and i dont think i can trim off the TE excess as it will be very thick? i donno what to do now
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:53 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hi friends!

Hereīs my progress until now. Already carved the servos place, the motor mount is 2mm plywood epoxyed with 5min. I decided to paint the wing with foam safe spray can. I applyed thin layers of paint and them didnīt added significant weight (less then 10 gr I think. Winglets and elevons are all black.

As here in Brazil is raining a lot, itīs so cold, to dry the filler and the painting, I used my wifeīs dryer

The weight until now is 114gr, and wonīt be so much more higher; now I only need to put the tape in the LE to reinforce, the speed control (6gr) and no more issues, I think. Still have to carve the battery place, do you think velcro is a nice choice to hold it? I have to make sure to carve in the correct place to find exactly the CG point.

Iīll go back to work friends, news after lunch
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:09 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Luis_Claudio, lovely looking wing mate
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:27 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thank you! Wanna see yours! Letīs go work!

Quote:
Luis_Claudio, lovely looking wing mate
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:53 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Quote:
i had a spare 40mm EDF with a brushless motor and ESC so i put these into the wing to make it an EDF wing the bare cores,keel,motor,EDF,ESC,receiver weighed in at 94.2grams so say i add to that another 30 for covering 30 for a battery 20 for elevons and winglets 10 for servos thats a total of 184.2 grams a mini speedwing weighs 224-252grams and gets pushed around with 60grams of thrust my wing will have around 100grams of thrust for a lot lighter wing does anyone see any problems?
I like it! Won't float around so much or turn as tight but should be fine. Make sure you put a spar in though.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Sep 01, 2008, 05:24 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hi Nick,

Finally I finished my sonīs wing. I had some problems to find the CG, once I think I put the hextronik 9gr servos, 10cm from the LE, instead of 9cm. I had to cut the battery place on the top and put the berg near it but appears to be ok.

As this is my first wing, let me ask you: does the motor needs any incidence?
My Hitec is already with the setup to fly the wing.

The final weight is 134gr. What do you think?

I have to thank you a lot by all the help and sharing the plans! Iīll try to fly as soon as possible to see itīs perfomance!

Best regards,
Luis Claudio
Old Sep 01, 2008, 05:34 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Looks really sweet Luis! I'm pretty sure mine was set so the motor thrustline was parallel to the centre line of the wing. If it pitches up too much under power put a packer under the top screw of you motor mount. I've flown mine with a 2s900 battery which took the weight up around there and it flew fine.

Good luck with the maiden!

Nick
Old Sep 01, 2008, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thank you again Nick!

News later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycruiser
Looks really sweet Luis! I'm pretty sure mine was set so the motor thrustline was parallel to the centre line of the wing. If it pitches up too much under power put a packer under the top screw of you motor mount. I've flown mine with a 2s900 battery which took the weight up around there and it flew fine.

Good luck with the maiden!

Nick
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
well my day started off slow than my replacement battery turned up in the mail yipee so i headed off to the LHS for some parts to get this little wing going i get home assembled everything and fired her up wooohoooooo the sound of an EDF lovely!!!! i took it out to a park got her ready for the maiden i gave her full throttle and a slight toss she nosed in not to worry i told my self couple of up clicks on the trim another toss and she was away!!!! zipping and zooming around doing fast rolls etc... after about 3-4mins i brought her in not knowing when the battery was last charged than i packed up started to walk away and thought what the heck ill go for another try stupid move! it flew about 30meters away got caught in abit of wash from the hill behind me and put the little wing into a spiral SLAMMMMMMM! strait into the long'ish grass i walked over picked her up my home made keel snapped in the thinnest section that was around the fan unit also the impellor snapped and the whole motor and mount ripped right out of the fan its an easy fix abit of 5mins glue the keel will be stronger than before and a new EDF is only $11 this little wing with the small EDF done around 40mph with a head wind of around 10mph also the all up weight including a 3cell 400mah hyperion battery was 187.7grams mini speed wing at 24" and 2cell lipo weighs in at something like 224grams my little wing has a 26.4" wing span alot more wing area alot more thicker foil at the tips plus a 3cell lipo and EDF and still come in well under the weight????
Old Sep 03, 2008, 05:37 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
314 Posts
Cut out a kf version last night for my unused 10 gram motor. I'm gonna run a GWS 7035 and 2s 500 mah battery. It's 3mm cellfoam. Little more root and tip than the plans. Maybe it'll slow down even more? Chopstick in the middle to support things. Not sure it'll fly but we'll find out this weekend i guess. Wheres everybodies cog? 1/4 distance from leading edge?
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old Sep 03, 2008, 05:56 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i used a CofG online free program and it was spot on at 130mm back from the nose but your's will be different
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:21 PM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Nice job Skycruiser!

That's a great looking little wing. It looks like it flys nice and slow and behaves very well.

Wish I had a foam cutter.
Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hello Nick, did you make news wings? Mine is still here...
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:49 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Hi Luis

Yes, I've made a few. I cut a stack of cores last ime I did some foam cutting because I give mine a hard time, like flying under picnic tables inverted. Just finishing a 7ft one too, for AP work.

Nick