Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Flew my old F22 Saturday for the first time in a year. Only had a little time to fly her so I went for it. I had forgotten that I had increased the throws (ALOT!) and also ruined my drawers when I went to turn it. The elevator throw was WAY too sensitive but airlerons were just right. I did notice a tendency to climb under throttle. I plan to put some expo in the elevator to soften it (with the throws where they are at it almost loops in it's own length!). I also elminated the prop saver and was able to fly at full throttle (my prop saver didn't center the prop and it vibrated at full throttle). Most of the flight was at 1/2 throttle though (flys good there). I love this airplane! Still need to find time to put the EDF in my spare airframe. More to come. Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:43 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
OK Al, I got my lights for my F-22 Night Fighter! I'm going to give you and James a run for your money.

Pat
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:57 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,206 Posts
Cool , and Ironic , Jesse brought over 2 more meters ( 1 red and and 1 blue ) tonight . And James has done a 3D foamy shocky with some of it and we have enough left to do his F-22. And Jesse is going to do one with L E D s too. Should be fun night flying the 4 of em together... Now if we can get Nick to do his.
Mine still sits unflown saving it for the Big Jolt/...
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Last edited by alpea 41; Aug 15, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:20 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
I just hope that when I'm done the added weight won't cause any issues.

Pat
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:22 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,206 Posts
Yeah
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:49 AM
Foam Fiend
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
Been having a blast with this thing. Here's a little video my buddy put together. This was on a 2S. Had my first crash today due to a servo failure.

Need for Speed (1 min 20 sec)
JCHarrist is offline Find More Posts by JCHarrist
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:15 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. What servos are you using?

Pat
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Finally got my night flyer done!

Pat
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:43 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,206 Posts
Looks very good Pat. Test flew mine last night. Excuse a spectators foul language
MVI 1664 (2 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:34 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Looks good Al! Looking forward to doing some night flying this year at the Jolt.

And BTW, I'll have 3 rx-ready planes for sale there too for $125 each.

Pat
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
Foam Fiend
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Dec 2004
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Sorry to hear about your crash. What servos are you using?

Pat
No biggie. Got the nose glued back on and another servo installed and she's ready to roll again.

For servo's I'm using E-Flite DS75's that I scavenged out of a Blade SR.

Guess I should upgrade. Any recommendations?

BTW, those lights looks awesome!
JCHarrist is offline Find More Posts by JCHarrist
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Well, what I use are the HXT500s. They seem to be a little tougher than DS75's or HS-55's. I once crashed an F-22 three separate times before finally stripping a servo on a particularly hard pancake landing.

And thanks on the lights comment. I've already got people asking me to build them one with lights.

Pat
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,299 Posts
Hey, Pat. Lights look good. How much weight do they add? How did you hook them up? R/C switch? Balance plug tap? Y connector? Always on?
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:23 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Here are the lights I used:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8944

You can get them in 5 different colors; White, Red, Green, Blue and Yellow. The only color I didn't use on the plane was yellow. Those are 1 meter strands, and each group of 3 lights has a built-in resistor on the strip, and they can handle direct connections to 12v.

What I did was lay out my lights in sections using a multiple of 3, so I had sections of 3 lights, 6 lights, 9 lights, etc. Between each section of 3 lights is a copper contact strip. You can cut the lights right on the divider and then solder them back together using 22ga wire. There is a + and - printed right on the strip so that you always know what the correct polarity is. And as far as I know, you can daisy chain as many lights together as you want.

To power the lights, I just connect them right to the balance tap, and they are always on. I did it this way to save weight. However, you can buy controllers as well to use as an on/off switch. Here's what HK offers:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...f_Switch_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...d_Switch_.html

So for mine I just purchased a female Hyperion balance tap connector (since I use Hyperion lipos) and do a direct connect for always on lights. For other battery brands, all you need to do is get the proper female tap connector for your particular brand of battery.

as for weight, my normal plane with paint and decals and a Hyperion 3S 850 comes in at 6.8 ounces. The unpainted night flyer comes in at 7.8 ounces, so the whole system only added one ounce of weight. With 10 ounces of thrust, she should still fly very well. Plenty well enough for night flying.

It was a little tedious cutting and measuring and soldering up all the light strips, but I think the end result was well worth the effort!

And let me say, this is the first time I've worked with these lights, and it really is a simple process. For the past few years I'd been too intimidated by al lthe neat lighting setups I've seen on other planes, but this was so simple to do I wish I had done it much sooner.

Pat