HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweazle2701 View Post
As for the STARS & BARS issue: Well, goofed again .... but anyhow ... the orientation of the decals does not really affect the flying characteristics :-)

I'll address this issue in V2

The most kind regards from RS
Still looks really good, congratulations on a good looking and origional model, and most of all, HAVE FUN with it
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Remscheid
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Thanks! In fact I have tons of fun with this little bird.

Had a hard time flying this weekend (tough winds) .... motor mount cracked loose. I just finished slightly modifying the motor mount: Drilled two 3 mm holes in the wooden part and inserted 2 CF rods (4 inch lenght) to couple the motor mount with the fuselage.

... let's see if it helps.
catweazle2701 is offline Find More Posts by catweazle2701
Old May 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
I always use hot glue on my motors mounts now. Ever since I switched from epoxy, I've not had one mount break loose.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 24, 2011, 08:20 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I always use hot glue on my motors mounts now. Ever since I switched from epoxy, I've not had one mount break loose.

Pat
Stop showing off Pat, we mortals still crash :-)
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old May 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,206 Posts
Pat crashes ... He flew with our local group a couple weeks ago and put a J Power 50mm T-33 into the pond thats on the approach end of our field . The dunking or crash caused the esc to flame and pieces that were recovered weren't pretty.. I can't find the picture ... So I guess it didn't happen.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old May 24, 2011, 08:56 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Stop showing off Pat, we mortals still crash :-)
Well, considering that I'm on personal F-22 number 20 or so....

(Every time I dork one up, I just grab a kit and build another, and transfer the old electronics into it)

Pat
Old May 24, 2011, 09:56 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Well, considering that I'm on personal F-22 number 20 or so....

(Every time I dork one up, I just grab a kit and build another, and transfer the old electronics into it)

Pat
Gee I thought I was the King of dorking ... you've got me beat Pat! marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old May 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
I KNOW WHAT IM DOING !!!!!!!
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
hey pat what is your personal prefrence on the cg for the f22 18in w/s mine seems to be a little tail heavey with a 360 2cell my be to small of a battery ! trying to keep it lite ! youknow !

my bad i used the cg from your manual and it balances about 1/4 to the rear of the plane from cg ! may have to move battery forward more i think !
HELLCAT632 is offline Find More Posts by HELLCAT632
Old May 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Oct 2010
170 Posts
had the maiden flight today. tbh not too impressed with handling (what handling - i could barely turn it!!!!! ) im using a dx6i and have increased the amount of aileron and elivator (in the mix 1 and 2 sections ) so the elevons move quite alot. its a bit tail heavy as im using 2 cell 220 mhh and could do with a more forward center of balance but its close. AUW is only 80 grams. so does this thing have to be going fast to turn? i was flying very slow as never flown a elevon plane and didnt want to crash in the field of tall wheat along way off (id never find it).

is this unmaneuverability normal for this type of plane? ive only flown sports and shockie types- both v maneuverable. i know its not the same but i was expecting at least some slow speed control
Anomalous is offline Find More Posts by Anomalous
Last edited by Anomalous; May 24, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
did you reinforce the control rods in the center so you dont get any flex ! i noticed on mine i needed to reinforce the center of rod for flex ! hope that helps !

i will see if i can post a pic later ! kwel !
Old May 24, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
kwel pat thank you so much ! wish i knew how to do my self but not to comp. savy you know !
Old May 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
Tail heavy + slow speed = limited to no manueverability.

CG should be 2" to 2.25" back from the main wing break (see pic).

Personally, I use a 3S 850 lipo in my plane, and it fits nicely right in the middle of the electronics bay. Anything 450 or smaller needs to go way up in the front of the bay to balance correctly. And a 3S lipo really wakes up the power system.

Anomalous - 80 grams is about half what my planes normally weigh. In my opinion, that's way too light. The plane does need some forward motion for the elevons to be effective. Don't be afraid to make the plane heavier. Besides, at about 170 grams it penetrates the wind very well, but can still be flown at slower speeds effectively.

Jessie - What I do on my control rods is take a spare servo arm and glue it into the intake side right at the prop canyon, then run the control rod wire through it (see pic). This keeps the wire from flexing. I was starting to take CF tube with a 1mm interior diameter and gluing in .032" control wire into it, but the glue keeps breaking so I've abandoned that idea and gone back to the servo arm support.

And I'll get the HO decals worked up for you soon.

Pat
Old May 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
hey pat thanks for the info and the pics buddy ! also that is where i have the c of g set at so i should be good ! the support thing was for the guy who posted earlier ! but great info thanx !

also here are the pics of ny f22 and f15 still to be finished but undecided to paint or leave white !!!!! decitions decitions !!!!!
Old May 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,443 Posts
here is an other one i did pat it is a shumate f 18 really like this plane also ! it is airbrushed black lite grey and medium grey now !
Old May 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
I have smaller versions of Steve's F-15, F-18 and F-5/T-38 getting ready to go up on my website. Uses the same exact power system as my mini profile jets.

In fact, I was out flying my F-18 this weekend. All I need to do is get the build manuals finished so I can get the kits up on the site.

If I make it out there for the Renegades BBQ, I'll bring them with me.

Pat