SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:48 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Anybody know where you can get the recommended motor (Mini F-22) or a similar one other than HobbyKing? Was hoping to find a supplier in the US
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
Jeff,

I have a couple motors and ESCs in stock. I was holding them back for some RX-ready planes, but can sell you one if need be. I've put it up on the site.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:21 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Beat me to it!

Jeesh Pat! You are quick on the trigger! I was about to recommend you and you beat me to it. BTW, I'm off tomorrow and plan to cut out another F22 kit. Just in case I need one! My current warrior is looking a little battle worn, but still going strong! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:23 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
Marty,

That's the great thing about these little planes. Just spend a few hours cutting and assembling a new airframe, and move your electronics over and viola! New plane!

And I had already sent Jeff a PM earlier today, but the motors were listed as out of stock on my site. That has been fixed.

Pat
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:27 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Marty,

That's the great thing about these little planes. Just spend a few hours cutting and assembling a new airframe, and move your electronics over and viola! New plane!

And I had already sent Jeff a PM earlier today, but the motors were listed as out of stock on my site. That has been fixed.

Pat
Excellent Pat! Gotta get some new blood. After all, we all suffer from the same addiction! Nothing like encouraging others to share eh? Marty
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:29 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
After the AZ Electric Festival at the end of January, I plan on placing a large order directly from the motor manufacturer (and cut out the middleman, namely Hobby King). That should tide me over for most of the year. As it is now I have been making small orders to HK every month. But it seems I almost always run out of stock right away.

Not any more.

Pat
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:41 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
After the AZ Electric Festival at the end of January, I plan on placing a large order directly from the motor manufacturer (and cut out the middleman, namely Hobby King). That should tide me over for most of the year. As it is now I have been making small orders to HK every month. But it seems I almost always run out of stock right away.

Not any more.

Pat
Great idea Pat! I'm not aware of any substitutions for the motor, but I'm old school. If it ain't broke, leave it alone! I have 3 of these motors. BTW, I've changed from a 5X3 to a 4.5X4.5 gws prop. What are you recommending? The plane wants to torque roll on my palm with the new prop. If I were to guess, I'd say it should work! Marty
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:29 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
Adam and I tested many motors (lots from HK directly). We never found anything better than this one. Once I have this large stock of motors, I will be reducing the pricing on them and the ESCs.

I use a GWS 4530 prop exclusively now. With the higher C lipos we're using, the 5030 cavitates too much. and the 4545 may be too much pitch for the motor. Keep an eye on the amps.

Pat
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,284 Posts
Crxmanpat,

I've use the APC 4.5x4.5 with the 1806 and the GWS 4530 doesn't compare. I haven't checked the amp draw yet, but the 850mAh 3S would be a better match. I have Watts Up meter now. I'll post data in the next day or so, on vaca at the moment. By the way, the Draken literally leaps forward when you hit the throttle.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:25 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
I may have a GWS 4545 in my stash. I'll take a look and put it on the wattmeter if I have one.

And yes, the Draken is one fast puppy, just like Marcel's original one in 6mm.

Pat
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
I don't have any GWS 4545 props (I think they only make a 4540), and I can't seem to find an APC 4.5x4.5 prop. Are you sure it's not a 4.5x4.1?

Pat
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:29 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
My Bad!

Well Boys, I just looked at the package for the GWS props and they are 4540s! Figures, the older I get the worst I see! Sorry Boys! Marty
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:56 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,333 Posts
OK, cool. I'll pick a few up next time I order from the distributor.

Pat
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:26 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,284 Posts
Crxmanpat,

I'm on the road, but I'll check when I get home. GWS has 4040s.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:05 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Crxmanpat,

I'm on the road, but I'll check when I get home. GWS has 4040s.

Ksqm
So are we looking for 4040s or 4540?
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead