SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
i would love too chase someone in another plane but poor old me has no one too fly with, im a lone flier, ive tried to get my mate to just come and watch so ive got someone to talk to, and be witness to some crazy almost crash or crash.... and then hope he gets the bug as well so i can then kick his fat ass in rc combat
Come on over! I'd be thrilled to tear your to pieces using my superior flying skills. Bring it on! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:48 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Foxy,

I had the same servo throw issue on my last F-22. Turns out the hinges on one side were binding somewhat and the servo did not have enough power to move them as far as they other side.

I've never really liked the packing tape hinge, so I've been doing standard hinges. But the plastic I'm using eventually cracks after so much bending. I've just picked up a roll of Blenderm and will try that. It's supposed to be super sticky and won't peel off the foam like packing tape does.

Pat
I use 3.5" floppy disc material on mine. Never had one break or come loose. Marty
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
I'd love to use that, but don't have any on hand. I threw out all my old floppys before getting into the hobby.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:53 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Foxy,

I had the same servo throw issue on my last F-22. Turns out the hinges on one side were binding somewhat and the servo did not have enough power to move them as far as they other side.

I've never really liked the packing tape hinge, so I've been doing standard hinges. But the plastic I'm using eventually cracks after so much bending. I've just picked up a roll of Blenderm and will try that. It's supposed to be super sticky and won't peel off the foam like packing tape does.

Pat
Hi Pat,
I have been using taped hinges for around 25 years for gliders and now for electric and never had a hinge fail, they are also so free that the control surface falls under it's own weight!! My 'secret' tip is a product (here in Germany) called 'Leukosilk'. It is and adhesive tape used in hospitals etc. to stick bits of people or bandages together!! It has a silk weave (like packing tape but nowhere near as stiff), it is strong as and sticks like to a blanket!! Leukosil on the bottom and Sellotape on the top (coat the surfaces with contact glue first ((UHU Creative in USA or UHU Por in Eu))). I just Googled the name and an alternative but got no result, however, I have come to learn that there is no product which does not have an alternative on a different continent!!!! Look for a silk based adhesive tape and if you cannot find anything PM me and I will mail U a roll.

@ Jee, guten Tip für dich
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:56 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
I'd love to use that, but don't have any on hand. I threw out all my old floppys before getting into the hobby.

Pat
Want some? marty
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:58 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
mine has both type of hinge lol, plastic hinges on the tail, and blenderm on the ailerons, both are great but tape is just so EZ and can be removed with out surgery.

i found stuff branded 3m is dear, but the same tape by 3m but with loyds chemist on and its cheaper, daft or what, same length as well 5m.

now i have a spare 5g servo, and time, as its been windy as hell to build or mod, im adding rudders now, might as well as they should help on high alpha's which i just find my self doing for half a pack almost, its fun.

im using some old very light but thick alu rods and braiding a z bend with CA. ive added the servo on the cg, and it feels like very little added weight im gonna weigh it in a min before and after,im going for 2 rods, one from each side.

ive found my cam so will do some pics as well
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:01 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
Come on over! I'd be thrilled to tear your to pieces using my superior flying skills. Bring it on! Marty
id love too.. but it would be a long ride on my push bike, hahah
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:38 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
My full sized mini!!!

Nearly there, paint has been thrown on (boo hoo, 'gained' 10 grams ) and I am waiting for my HF module to come back from repair. I read through this forum (and the others) again and realized that I have no idea what motor I have and do not know how it will perform
I built the full sized mini because I built a small (12") version one day when it was raining because I had a 5 Gram motor lying around. Now I have built the 'full sized mini' because I like the look of the model and I have a 20 Gram motor lying around but I don't know what Kv/Rpm rating it has
Who cares??? Lets see how it goes
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:56 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
Paul,

Vielen Dank für die Auskunft! I think that stuff is the same as Blenderm here (also used in hospitals). I can also get my hands on real UHU Por too (RCFoam sells it).

Viel Glück zum Maiden!

Marty,

I dug around and found 11 discs hiding from me. Now I can put them to some good use!

Pat
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:40 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Floppy hinges???

I have never used floppy disk hinges and I am always looking for improvments, so, how do you fit them??? Do U slot the foam or just glue them onto the top surface?? If you slot, I presume that they are slotted into the centre of the control surface???
Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:10 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
I have never used floppy disk hinges and I am always looking for improvments, so, how do you fit them??? Do U slot the foam or just glue them onto the top surface?? If you slot, I presume that they are slotted into the centre of the control surface???
Cheers.
Paul it's very simple. Carefully cut a slot into the center of the foam surface(s) with a thin razor blade (I use a single edge razor blade). After slicing your disc material into strips, put a small dab of glue onto the hinge and insert it into the slot. A shot of accelerator helps set the glue once you align the surfaces. These hinges are super floppy, have no resistance and are tough as nails. I use them quite frequently and have never had any issues. Marty
Last edited by martys; Sep 17, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:02 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
the best tape hinge is the Z hinge, the one that you stick 2 bits of tape so it has a sticky bit facing each way and put it on alternate, so one goes on the surface and one on the plane, i think you know the type i mean, im crap at explaining stuff, but it makes a very strong hinge with no need to bevel or any slop, just a pain to do, but looks good tho,

got my rudders on but cant find my cam lead so will do a vid with the flip, and put it up, seem to work well, but have yet to try it in flight, its typical, good weather and im cant go out as im waiting for my depron order.

rudder mod vid, you can also see my heatsink mod, which i dont really need now at 8amp, but did at 10-11amp lol
VID00008 (0 min 18 sec)
Last edited by foxy29; Sep 20, 2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
I now have decals for First Fighter and Edwards AFB available for sale on my site. These decal sets are printed on high quality waterslide paper with a laserjet printer. Price is $5 per set.

Pat
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:56 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Mixed morning with a happy end!!

Just got a couple of hours to go flying before work

Started with my fairly new 500 sized Hely which has been giving me stress due to the Gyro not working. I had fitted a new gyro which worked perfectly on the bench, and indeed for the first 2-3 minutes, Whoo Hoo I thought, sorted
Then the damn thing stopped working all together

Switched to my EPP fun flier which I had made up some new packs for from LiIon cells 'cos I have a load of them lying around. Rubbish, just managed to prop hang on a fresh pack but nothing doing after the first 2 minutes, Boo Hoo

Chucked a pack into the F22 (second time out for her) and Whooo Hoo, she really does fly Touch more Expo on the elevator and perfect!! Pretty much unlimited vertical, pretty damn quick and LOADS of fun with the bonus of looking pretty good in the air!!! As I suspected, my tiered old packs were struggling a little bit but I have 2 new 850 mAh 30C fast charge babies on the way Should perk her up a touch and give full power for 6 - 8 minutes. Stuff the Hely, stuff the fun flier, can't wait for the weekend to beat up the strip again
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:00 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
Paul it's very simple. Carefully cut a slot into the center of the foam surface(s) with a thin razor blade (I use a single edge razor blade). After slicing your disc material into strips, put a small dab of glue onto the hinge and insert it into the slot. A shot of accelerator helps set the glue once you align the surfaces. These hinges are super floppy, have no resistance and are tough as nails. I use them quite frequently and have never had any issues. Marty
Thanks for that. Just like a normal type hinge then. I saw somewhere that someone had glued the strips just onto the top surface, looked ugly and must be prone to peeling off. Makes FAR more sense to slot and insert. I will 'find ( ) some old floppies at work and try it. Thanks.