HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:01 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
LOOKING GOOD, you could prolly get a away with the 10g one, my 18incher was 120g, not much more than your tiny one, and will be insane at under that weight, use lighter servos and stuff to compensate the extra weight, and you will have a fast and tiny high alpha machine
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,087 Posts
PaulB
definitely Hi Visibility colour job

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:02 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
PaulB
definitely Hi Visibility colour job

Mike
That's the problem of only building Shocky type planes until now. A pile of scrap in yellow and red but not much white. I even had to join the wings along the fuselage line because I didn't have any scrap piece big enough to do it in one and remember that this version only has a 12" wingspan!!
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,087 Posts
Not an insult - its just a Bitsa - and a good one.
Maybe add some black stripes and you have a tiger camo job
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:28 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Not an insult - its just a Bitsa - and a good one.
Maybe add some black stripes and you have a tiger camo job
Mike
Not taken so mate
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
Seminole, FL
Joined Jun 2009
20 Posts
Soooo much fun!

I have built two of these gems. The first was the red and yellow one. It was made of Dollar Tree board. I made about 60 flights with her during vacation. She was a joy to fly in calm air, and handled some pretty good winds, too. I tried flying her just before a storm hit (high winds). She was slammed into a fence from about 50ft up. Nothing I could do. My error was the take-off.

The orange and black one is her replacement. It is made of 6mm depron held together with Beacon Fabri-Tac glue. Will maiden her tomorrow at the club's swap meet.

Specs:

Motor: 1806N - 2500kv
Prop: GWS 4.5 x 3
ESC: Turnigy Plush 12A
Servos: Hextronics 5g
Lipo: Turnigy NanoTech 3S 460mA
Recvr: Spektrum AR6110e
AUW: 181g/6.5oz

Xmitr: Spektrum DX6i, Elevon Mixing
Throws: Not sure where they will wind up ...

I'm gonna cut a couple more out in the next few days. The quick build is great, the hardware is cheap, the plane bores holes in the sky very nicely ... what more could you want?

Thanks for the great plans!
pnp77777 is offline Find More Posts by pnp77777
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:42 PM
Seminole, FL
Joined Jun 2009
20 Posts
I just noticed the mentions of red and yellow, and tiger ... coincidence! Absolutely not planned.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:05 PM
Seminole, FL
Joined Jun 2009
20 Posts
Maiden Pictures

Here are pictures of the maiden flights. About 12 flights all told. Winds 0-15. Temp: about 98F. Humidity: About 90%.

I thought it would be too heavy to be a lot of fun, but it went vertical with no problem. Thanks again!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:38 PM
Scratch Builder
Central Coast, California
Joined Nov 2008
175 Posts
I love(d) mine

Gotta build another or fix this one sometime.
cmreel is offline Find More Posts by cmreel
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnp77777 View Post
Here are pictures of the maiden flights. About 12 flights all told. Winds 0-15. Temp: about 98F. Humidity: About 90%.

I thought it would be too heavy to be a lot of fun, but it went vertical with no problem. Thanks again!
That's a nice pnp! I love this plane. As a matter of fact, I'm going to build another (as a back up of course)! I still have my original. It is looking a bit battle worn though. A great design! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:16 PM
Seminole, FL
Joined Jun 2009
20 Posts
Thanks! I hope to order some 3mm depron in the near future. This is one that I want to build to see if there is any appreciable gains/losses in the performance/weight categories. I know there should be some, but are they enough to warrant having different weights of depron around.

Between this new one and its predecessor, I can't tell much difference. Dollar Tree/White Gorilla Glue vs 6mm depron/Beacon Fabi-Tac. Then again, most of the time I'm just happy if the maiden doesn't prove to be flown on the expiration date of what I build.

I'm thinking that a few of these may be built for Holiday gifts to selected family members that are toying with the idea of getting into the hobby. Still thinking that one through. There are a few gotchas with that whole concept.

BTW, it's a bummer about your F-22. My Dollar Tree plane survived a couple of "Figure 9" maneuvers without cracking up that badly. Even my full-size TomHe F-22 never collapsed that far back (I gotta replace the nose section on that one for the second time). Maybe it is the 3mm. I have no experience there.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnp77777 View Post
Thanks! I hope to order some 3mm depron in the near future. This is one that I want to build to see if there is any appreciable gains/losses in the performance/weight categories. I know there should be some, but are they enough to warrant having different weights of depron around.

Between this new one and its predecessor, I can't tell much difference. Dollar Tree/White Gorilla Glue vs 6mm depron/Beacon Fabi-Tac. Then again, most of the time I'm just happy if the maiden doesn't prove to be flown on the expiration date of what I build.

I'm thinking that a few of these may be built for Holiday gifts to selected family members that are toying with the idea of getting into the hobby. Still thinking that one through. There are a few gotchas with that whole concept.

BTW, it's a bummer about your F-22. My Dollar Tree plane survived a couple of "Figure 9" maneuvers without cracking up that badly. Even my full-size TomHe F-22 never collapsed that far back (I gotta replace the nose section on that one for the second time). Maybe it is the 3mm. I have no experience there.
I would only offer the kits to someone (of course) that has RC experience. It's certainly not a beginners plane. I fly a 1806 2500 rpm motor, 9 gram hextronic servos, Spektrum RX, and either a 500 or 800mah battery (see nico hobbies fir the equipment) in mine. Either way, this plane has more than enough git up and go for anyone. I did recently switch to a smaller prop (was running a 5X3), but haven't had any time to fly so far this year due to financial obligations (had to work!). I hope to do some flying when the weather cools down. Marty
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
Seminole, FL
Joined Jun 2009
20 Posts
I agree about it not being a beginners plane. I have two family members that have been using RC flight simulators for a few months. An have actually flown a couple of charges through my last build of this plan. If I did give any out, I would insure they joined the AMA, too. Besides the plane and AMA, there's the transmitter/buddy box thing, the charger thing, etc. I still have some time to decide.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:21 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,680 Posts
pnp,

Very nice looking planes and glad you're having fun with them! I suggest trying the 3mm depron, if for nothing else than to try it. It will drop about an ounce of AUW (mine typically come in at 5.5oz).

I was tossing mine around at an event this past weekend at Whittier Narrows in LA. On the final flight, I was flying around inverted low to the ground (showing off of course), when a wind gust blew it into the ground. Sheered off both vertical stabs and ripped off one taileron. Some Beacon Advanced 3-in-1 glue and a new control horn, and I'm back in business!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
pnp,

Very nice looking planes and glad you're having fun with them! I suggest trying the 3mm depron, if for nothing else than to try it. It will drop about an ounce of AUW (mine typically come in at 5.5oz).

I was tossing mine around at an event this past weekend at Whittier Narrows in LA. On the final flight, I was flying around inverted low to the ground (showing off of course), when a wind gust blew it into the ground. Sheered off both vertical stabs and ripped off one taileron. Some Beacon Advanced 3-in-1 glue and a new control horn, and I'm back in business!

Pat
Yes indeed Pat! It's a tough little bird. I've flown mine to death and she keeps coming back for more! It doesn't like windy conditons though. Just gets blown around. Of course with a nice fresh pack, she hardly notices! Marty