HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:26 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
Thought you guys might be interested in this. I'm working on a design that is similar to the F22, but different. Its a YF-21, taken from the anime series Macross. Going to maiden it tomorrow.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276337
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:55 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Subscribed

Subscribed! See my comments under the build thread. Thanks, Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:04 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Build View Post
I've had a coro/corflute/signboard versino of this on the shelf waiting for me to program mixing into my radio (HK TR6A).

On its maiden, I discovered that it was severly underpowered and that I'd forgotten the essential dot of superglue on the end of the control rods!

Here's some pics of the "landings". Fortunately, this material takes almost anything - I've since dropped it through some trees and performed a slighly more interesting flick/roll landing in a stiff breeze with no damage.
WOW nice landing,you gotta love corro its indestructible i have a 24in wing made from a 3mm corro center and depron kfm4 steps, and it went in from 50ft flat out, came out with no damage but a cracked 3mm tiplet, and i felt the thud thru the ground in my feet it hit that hard, i was amazed at how much punishment it could take,corro is just a bit heavy tho.
whats your AUW on the 22?
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:08 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOPRO View Post
well here is some video of my F-22 that I said a long time ago that I would post. Finally put it together.

17.5" WS with modified fuselage built up to look better. Flies great! I was going to try to catch it at the end but it was coming in to fast on this flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFEFSVNvPcY
that f22 looks good its like a mini JS44 f22, how did you do the fuse was it formers and then bend 3mm on a table corner to get its shape??, i was thinking of doing somthing like that next time i build another f22(im on my 2nd love em) and going down the semi scale route.
flys nice too.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:08 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
I finally got a proper build guide done for this plane. You can download it from my website from the F-22 page.

www.nicohobbies.com

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:26 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
A boring Sunday.

Hello All,
I am new here and thought that I would share my new project with U all. I killed my Robbe Hunter 400 last week (a look alike foam pusher jet) which went like S off a shovel. Killed it when I fitted a Scorpion 2221-8 motor, it was so fast at half throttle that the launch went pear shaped and it rained foam for a couple of minutes!!!
I was kicking around for a cheap jet look alike and down loaded the F22 plans 'cos it looks sexy. I am going to scratch build a delta with canards to play around with high Alpha/ speed stuff and I was looking for inspiration. On Friday I was bored at work and reduced the plan to 66% to give a wingspan of 12" (30 Cm), don't know why but I did.
Today my Baby (wife) was at work and that meant that I could go flying, great, BUT, I P down with rain all day!! Sat in my hobby corner and dug out my collection of scrap Deprop and within a couple of hours my mini F22 took shape. 6 MM wings and fuselage with no carbon reenforcement, 5 Gram motor turning a 5 X 3 prop 2 cell 350 battery and 6 or 10 Gram servos. So far I am looking at 90 Grams ready to rock and roll and it could be interesting as a 'pocket' version. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Aug 08, 2010, 06:50 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
i took my f22 out today and my field has all these stupid weeds sticking out all over it,and as id not flown it for a while i was checking the balence,came in to adjust lateral balence and one of those dang weed almost chopped my wing off, so i came up with a game fly as low(like 1ft or lower) as poss and chop em up, its quite satisfying to hear em getting chopped as your flying low and fast or doing high alpha tail scrapes, the inside of the prop slot is covered with green flecks lol, i bet i looked a div shouting, cheering and lol'ing to my self in the field on my tod....it was fun tho.....and you aint flying low if you aint chopping the grass

paulb good luck with your mini,the 18in flies great, i fly mine on a 10g 3800kv motor 5g servos and 500-800 2s gets about 120g when new, mines pushing 140g now tho, but still quick and best off all light, you have to really prang it to mess it up even going in fast it just bounces, worst ive done is the weed chop above and broke the nose,and i like to fly mine fast and low and has hit the ground many many times.
good luck
Old Aug 08, 2010, 07:01 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I finally got a proper build guide done for this plane. You can download it from my website from the F-22 page.

www.nicohobbies.com

Pat
nice guide pat, i noticed you do the spar different now,does it make it stronger now that its pre stressed, i know the straight one is very strong but stonger is always better i might do my next one like that.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:04 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
I like it the new way because it gets it off the motor mount, and I can extend it more to the wingtips now.

Pat
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:07 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
thanks i was thinking the same thing as my tips are a bit floppy as i have the aileron mod as well,will deffo try it on my next f22 tho
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:02 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
I'm doing the same on most of my other kits as well. I don't think I've posted the most updated plans yet, so here they are. And of course, I have to add the usual disclaimer. These plans are for personal use only. Any commercial use is prohibited.

Pat
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
An exciting Tuesday.

well I finished my Rapt 15.1515 (don't know what that is?? Simple, it is a 66% Raptor F22) this evening, 12" of 6 mm and 3 mm depron thrown together on a rainy Sunday and 2 evenings of an hour or 2. Couldn't wait so I rushed out top a nearby field as soon as the glue on the belly plate was nearly set and tried her out. My tiny baby pocket sized bundle of scrap pieces of Depron flew!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finished up at 85 Grams with 95 Grams of thrust un-painted and she floated out of my hand like a dream (actually, I gave her a good toss to get the speed up ). Straight and true she STARTED climbing out a treat, then the motor cut . Nice glide to put her down and tried again with the same result. The motor kept cutting out and now I know that testing the motor yesterday on 3 cells was a mistake. I must have fried it 'cos since then it keeps 'squeaking' and stuttering on start up and then cuts out . Thing is, although I was only getting as couple of seconds of power I could 'feel' that the model flew well (the old and bold will understand that) so I am going to get a new 5 Gram motor and I think I will have a ton of fun with this model.
No photo's yet 'cos it looks like C in white and yellow and built pretty crappily. HOWEVER, I have an idea for a livery and once I get her painted up and had some real flights I will post a few.
Now to the serious bit, I want to say a REALLY, REALLY big thank you to ADBRADLEY for spending time and effort to produce and excellent plan and then sharing it with everyone which, although I bastardized it, works and is really well thought out and constructed. All of the bits that I did not mod (which I only did due to my reducing the size and the size of the components which I used) fitted perfectly and just so easy!!! Thanks mate, if U are ever in Germany, look me up and the first crate of beer is on me!!
Last edited by PaulB; Aug 10, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
was the 5g motor a high kv one? as most are 2s only lol, try the 10g turnigy 1811 3800kv its good on a gws 3x3 or 4x2.5 good for 7-8amps and has loads of grunt and mine is as hard as nails for such a tiny motor.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:02 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
was the 5g motor a high kv one? as most are 2s only lol, try the 10g turnigy 1811 3800kv its good on a gws 3x3 or 4x2.5 good for 7-8amps and has loads of grunt and mine is as hard as nails for such a tiny motor.
Hi Foxy, yep I guess that my mighty midget is (was) a high kv motor. With hindsight I was pulling 2,2 Amps at 10,5 Volts, turning a 5 X 4 at 1500 Rpm. 23 watts going through 0,4 mm wire was pushing it a bit . Tnx for the recommendation about the Turnigy but 10 Gr is FAR to heavy! My batt. pack (2C 350 mAh) is just peeping out of the front of the intakes now with a 5 Gr motor, with a 10 Gr I would have to have the pack a couple of centimeters in front of the nose!!!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
My midget in a somewhat strange colour scheme.

OK, here is a picture of the little 'un. TX to give a scale (12" wingspan).
Waiting for a new motor and going to start on my 'special' colour scheme tomorrow and i hope that at the weekend I can rip up the sky
Last edited by PaulB; Aug 11, 2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: forgot the picture :-)