HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:15 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
i tried some doppler today ive been meaning to try it for a while i was using a dictaphone and a mic from a pc its a very good mic it can pick up my servos at like 60m clearly like im stood next to it,but was a bit windy but same range of numbers kept coming up was getting from 39mph to 50mph but was windy so could not geta good straight run but will deffo try this again im gonna race a guy i talk to on youtube we both have shumate f15's lol it looks like a fun prog to use and pretty accurate from what ive seen, if you dont now the program its called wave scope and all you need is a cam with reasonable sound or like me use a dictophone if you ever wondered what your piece of foam is doing lol. my guess was not too far out i said about 40mph i cant wait to try it again
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I built mine out of 5mm de-papered $tree foam. I can't say what it weighs, but It's got about two sticks of hot glue on it at this point.

I'd have to say it's underpowered. I've ran this motor/esc/battery with an 8x5 and only did WOT for no more than 3 seconds at a time. When The ESC has Thermal Overload protection, and I've hit it a time or two with a the 8x5, but with this 4.75x5.3 prop I run it WOT for about 10 minutes. I've also noticed mine is not as loud as some of the vids I've watched. Could another 1/4 inch make that much of a difference?

When I had this setup on a high wing trainer with a AUW of 3oz, 1/4 throttle was more than enough to cruise, 1/2 throttle would make it climb out and WOT was just wayyyy too much. It's gotta be the prop size. (Yes I got it on the right way too)
fraggin is offline Find More Posts by fraggin
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:38 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
With the hot glue, you're going to be heavy. I used hot glue on mine, and its heavy. I also laminated more foam onto the nose and wing surfaces. Mine is heavy, probably double the weight of most of these guys. That's why I need a 6x5 prop to fly reasonable well. You might consider going to a 5x5 prop and see what you get. To go larger, you need to enlarge the prop slot.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:30 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,435 Posts
For anyone considering building an F-22, I would suggest the following:

If all you have is 5mm or larger depron, or are using bluecor, I would suggest building the full-size plane at 28" wingspan found in this thread.

If you have access to 3mm depron, then I would suggest building the plane in this thread. Others have succesfully built and flown this smaller plane using 5 and 6mm depron, but it really detracts from the fun factor. When kept light (5-6oz), this plane is an absolute blast to fly.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Well Pat, I misplaced my box of bits to finish my f22 when cleaning up from our small flood up here in the North

I just placed an order for the replacement, when I find the other parts I'll build another f22 or maybe a eurofighter

Thanks,
Jared
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,435 Posts
Jared,

Was wondering why you ordered another set of bits. They'll be on the way in the morning.

The last ones I sent were in a rectangular box. These will be in a tube.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
United States, NJ, Plainsboro Township
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Another build

Heres another Dollar Tree foam build, This plan is just awesome to fly!!! Thanks for the kind words on my previous post (The blue & black F22) R.I.P.
kgd1 is offline Find More Posts by kgd1
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:59 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Ailerons

KGD tell me about the ailerons you installed on your F22. I'm itching to build another one but I don't want to build it the same as the previous bird. Also I have found the battery difficult to insert/remove without cracking the seams on the body. Was thinking about deepening the body by about 1 inch to accommodate the process. I use a 3cell 500-800 battery. Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:14 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgd1 View Post
Heres another Dollar Tree foam build, This plan is just awesome to fly!!! Thanks for the kind words on my previous post (The blue & black F22) R.I.P.
another good looking rapter mines a bit worse for ware now the nose is crumpled and about 2-3cm shorter and a bit grubby but still flying must have 40-50 flights on it now gonna build another when i get round to ordering some cf but will have to use rods as they dont have flats in 1mmx 3mm so will use 2mm or 2.5mm rods my big epp su27 uses 2 1mm one on each side of wing and that works well, what killed the other rapter kjd1?? ground jump up and bite it lol mines had a few hits on the ground and came of surprisingly well had a full speed one the other day trying for a doppler reading must of flipped over 2 -3 times and just a bent wing tip, cool must be the glue i used it gives a bit and is rubber like.

also ordering a new motor today so should have it on Saturday getting this one 2350kv X1806R and comes with a heat sink mount,prop saver the 2500kv one even comes with a prop but only 6a max a 5x3 must pull more than 6 amp??
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/2350kv-mic...-p-404934.html
bummed the 2500kv one is out of stock tho grrrr must be a popular motor

or maybe this lower kv but higher max amp of 9a but should be ok
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/x1806-22gr...-p-402461.html
Last edited by foxy29; Apr 15, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:35 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
KGD tell me about the ailerons you installed on your F22. I'm itching to build another one but I don't want to build it the same as the previous bird. Also I have found the battery difficult to insert/remove without cracking the seams on the body. Was thinking about deepening the body by about 1 inch to accommodate the process. I use a 3cell 500-800 battery. Marty
ive been thinking of the aileron mod on mine, but ran out of quick links so put it on hold till i get some which will hopefully be Saturday i want some crazy roll rate, on my batt i used some soft foam that came as packing that holds the batt in tight enuff to hold for flight but still ez to pull out and some 6mm depron on the side to stop it sliding left or right o and i have my batt long ways not down the middle not not long ways going side ways if that makes sense been up all night and its 10.30pm, had some interesting flights when it did move to one side lol and also put a bit of duct tape on the batt ,like rolled in a loop so its like double sided tape so it gripps better but works without it and not pulled or cracked the seem since, just slides out if you pull the leads a bit, and you have to REALLY shake it or lawn dart it to get it to move but still ez to remove and works well.

also check out rolfjoosten he had a good mod for his batt i use diff batts of diff weights so had to do it my way if they wher all same batt id use his method nice and neat to

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...g?d=1255349474
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Hey KGD, Great looking raptor! What equipment do you have in that one? It looks very similar to my setup but yours is much, much cleaner! My old raptor has been through so much -- light pole crashes, tree "landings", I even installed a 64mm edf on it once...that didn't last long (I was bored --and yes, it flew!!!. At this point, I think my little raptor is more hot glue than foam!

Right now she has:
Emax 2805
APC 5.1x4.5 prop
20A ESC
1000mah 3S Lipo
KFm4 airfoil (50%)
Landing Gear
Rudders
Added foam to nose for 3-D appearance
Lot's and Lot's of Hot Glue
AUW 11.5oz (flies beautifully in the wind!)

According to my watt meter and my scale, I'm getting the following with this setup:

17A, 177W, 16oz. thrust
SNice is online now Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
Marty
I'm new to flying "hobby grade" r/c plans just learning how to fly. The first F22 I built that I previously posted was the Guinea pig for me. I used the ailerons set up just because it looked cool to me, Sorry I can't compare to taileron set up because I really do not have enough expirence flying These kind of planes to tell you (about 120min flying time to date) But it seems to roll like a drill. Regarding the electronics access hatch I just made the cut out longer for easy access to the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
another good looking rapter mines a bit worse for ware now the nose is crumpled and about 2-3cm shorter and a bit grubby but still flying must have 40-50 flights on it now gonna build another when i get round to ordering some cf but will have to use rods as they dont have flats in 1mmx 3mm so will use 2mm or 2.5mm rods my big epp su27 uses 2 1mm one on each side of wing and that works well, what killed the other rapter kjd1?? ground jump up and bite it lol mines had a few hits on the ground and came of surprisingly well had a full speed one the other day trying for a doppler reading must of flipped over 2 -3 times and just a bent wing tip, cool must be the glue i used it gives a bit and is rubber like.

also ordering a new motor today so should have it on Saturday getting this one 2350kv X1806R and comes with a heat sink mount,prop saver the 2500kv one even comes with a prop but only 6a max a 5x3 must pull more than 6 amp??
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/2350kv-mic...-p-404934.html
bummed the 2500kv one is out of stock tho grrrr must be a popular motor

or maybe this lower kv but higher max amp of 9a but should be ok
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/x1806-22gr...-p-402461.html
Foxy

Thanks, I crashed it do to pilot error

Name: DSC04637.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 88.7 KB
Description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Hey KGD, Great looking raptor! What equipment do you have in that one? It looks very similar to my setup but yours is much, much cleaner! My old raptor has been through so much -- light pole crashes, tree "landings", I even installed a 64mm edf on it once...that didn't last long (I was bored --and yes, it flew!!!. At this point, I think my little raptor is more hot glue than foam!

Right now she has:
Emax 2805
APC 5.1x4.5 prop
20A ESC
1000mah 3S Lipo
KFm4 airfoil (50%)
Landing Gear
Rudders
Added foam to nose for 3-D appearance
Lot's and Lot's of Hot Glue
AUW 11.5oz (flies beautifully in the wind!)

According to my watt meter and my scale, I'm getting the following with this setup:

17A, 177W, 16oz. thrust

Snice

Thanks,

My set up:

Emax 2805
5x5E prop
20A or 30a ESC (not sure it was given to me from a crashed Starmax jet)
500mah 3S 20c Lipo
KFm4 airfoil (50%) (I think)
AUW 7.8oz

I don't now about the Amps,Watts & Thrust I will make somthing to find out.
Last edited by kgd1; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:05 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Snice

Thanks,

My set up:

Emax 2805
5x5E prop
20A or 30a ESC (not sure it was given to me from a crashed Starmax jet)
500mah 3S 20c Lipo
KFm4 airfoil (50%) (I think)
AUW 7.8oz

I don't now about the Amps,Watts & Thrust I will make somthing to find out.
I tested a couple 5x5 props on mine and got the following:
APC 5x5 -- 15.6A, 170W, 12oz. thrust
EMP 5x5 -- 16A, 166W, 13oz. thrust
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
I tested a couple 5x5 props on mine and got the following:
APC 5x5 -- 15.6A, 170W, 12oz. thrust
EMP 5x5 -- 16A, 166W, 13oz. thrust
Heres the prop I'm using:
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Heres the prop I'm using:
That looks exactly like the EMP 5x5. I'm still relatively new to this E-power stuff but I think you may need a larger battery. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but a 3S 20C 500mah lipo can only supply a max of 10A. The EMP 5x5 on a Emax2805 (according to my watt meter) wants to draw around 16A at WOT. You motor is probably pulsing pretty quickly as you get high in throttle. That's not very good for the batt. I think at minimum you need an 800mah 20C pack, 1000Mah would be even safer. Or I think you could get a higher C rated pack. If you get a battery that can give you 16A+, you will notice a BIG difference in performance! Someone with more knowledge on the subject may be able to shed more light on the subject!