HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
Foxy, you need an agent in the USA to help you purchase what you need/want! Stop farting around with those rip offs where you live. PayPal will convert currency for you when you send money to someone else. I have no idea about shipping prices, but they can't be that bad. Just a thought. Marty

its not called rip off britain for nothing lol. found a uk supply for gorilla price aint bad neither is p+p i almost never buy anything in town always on line so im surprised the local model shop is still trading at the prices he wants they have no cheap motors and what they have aint worth the cash they want no esc or batts but loads and loads of kits but jack to put in em
the only thing that puts me of ordering stuff from the usa is the shipping and the wait i hate waiting for stuff but prolly works out to about the same or a bit more for price after p+p thats why ive never used hobby king still cheap tho
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belabs View Post
Hi guys! I need your opinion.. I cant find a AX 1806N motor locally. What can you say about this motor as an alternative? http://www.gsmodels.com/en/products_view.php?id=256
If im going to use this one, does it mean I have to use a bigger prop (8x4)??
What is "local" for you? I have them on my website, as does Hobby City.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Buy it

Buy it from Pat. No waiting or playing around. Use the motor it was designed for and you'll be more than satisfied. Mine is more than fast enough. Listen to Pat and the other Guys here. You can't go wrong. Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:43 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
glad you got it flying, i love just slowing right down to almost stall and give it full wack and watch it accelerate in an instant,also high alpha is fun with this plane i like to come down as low as i can then shoot off full wack just before i touch the ground impresses the kids they love it ,my nephew thinks he can run faster and likes to try racing it when i slow down and then shoot off good fun

I flew it several times before deciding to move the CG again. When I did, I realized i hit the sweet spot. But, when I was trimming it out again, it got away from me pretty quick and hit a tree. Nothing hot glue couldnt fix. I do need to make a version with a wing stiffener though... LOL.

I was suprised at the true performance in high alpha moves. Being able to do a 180 with an R/C airplane comes in handy.

I haven't gotten it to do any rolls yet though. Maybe because there is no rigidity with the cf spar NOT there. I got almost 3/4" throw. So, that seems right. This was a good learning experience. I plan on building version 2 without all the mistakes.

But flying jets is definitley different than anything I've ever flown.
fraggin is offline Find More Posts by fraggin
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
我的f - 22
henry_jazz2000 is offline Find More Posts by henry_jazz2000
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:01 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_jazz2000 View Post
我的f - 22
nice plane jazzy looks well.. jazzy lol i love digital camo , also like how you did the one servo nice i was gonna put mine on the inside but thought it wont make any difference inside or out.
shame about your crash fraggin the worst ive done to mine was crash into the ground after flying over my head and not turn round quick enuff,chiped a bit off the wing and cracked the front horizontal fuse bit on the nose and made a vertical stab come loose i just loobed it back in the air even with the vert flapping it flew well, was my first real crash as well yay lost my crash virginity lol
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
Wingspan: 43.5 cm (17 in)
Length : 76.5 cm (30 in)
Flying Weight: 400g

Suggested motor: 2800 kv ESC: 50A
Suggested propeller: APC-E 5x3
Suggested battery: 3s 1000 mAh
Suggested servos: x2 ,9g
my F-22 ,over 50fling
henry_jazz2000 is offline Find More Posts by henry_jazz2000
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_jazz2000 View Post
Wingspan: 43.5 cm (17 in)
Length : 76.5 cm (30 in)
Flying Weight: 400g

Suggested motor: 2800 kv ESC: 50A
Suggested propeller: APC-E 5x3
Suggested battery: 3s 1000 mAh
Suggested servos: x2 ,9g
my F-22 ,over 50fling
did not realise it had rudders as well guess camo is doing its job lol. whats it fly like at that AUW and what type of motor is that its huge so is your esc 50amp i use a 40 amp on my jetsett44 f15
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:20 AM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I just realized the difference in the elevons on the plans. For the 3mm the elevons are cut in one long line along the hinge line. On the 5mm plans, it looks like they are aerodynamically balanced. Whats up with that?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I took this dirty bird out for lunch with it's most recent CG set. It flew wonderfully. Not quite the screamer some of you guys describe. I'm only running a 10Amp ESC though. That could be part of the reason. Everything flew wonderfully with the new CG setting. I had about 5 minutes of flight before I hit a bubble that tossed the jet around. After that I was having trouble keeping it in the air. The velcro the battery was held in place with came loose and shifted forward.

I'm having a hard time keeping velcro adhered to the foam. Any tips?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:52 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggin View Post
I just realized the difference in the elevons on the plans. For the 3mm the elevons are cut in one long line along the hinge line. On the 5mm plans, it looks like they are aerodynamically balanced. Whats up with that?
the ones on the 5mm plan are like thrust vectoring as they are in the prop wash, i had an epp f22 with the thrust tabs and did not notice much diff between the 2 versions both flipped end over end
for the velcro i either use a bit of epoxy or hot glue my f22 batt is just wedged in with some soft foam and some 6mm depron at the side to stop it moving left or right
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,966 Posts
Yep, they are thrust vectoring tabs only, not anything to do with balance. On the smaller plane is just really does not need them. It flips over just fine.

Had mine out at a fly-in in Tucson this past weekend. Kinda windy most of the time, and Iwas flying in 15mph steady with gusts to 20. Still pretty fun to toss around in the wind. Makes it easy to fly backwards and sideways.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:09 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
Thrust Vectoring. Never considered it. Makes sense though. There's no reason to aero-balance 5mm foam ..lol... But, I've not yet gotten any kind of aerobatics out of this plane. No rolls either. When I try a loop, I end up with a flat spin-180. Maybe a weight issue.

I'm going to rebuild and use less glue, more attention and better cutting.

Ok, so I learned a few things with this experiment.

1. Jets like to fly fast and the faster this thing flies the more comfortable it handles.

2. There's a small margin for error on CG with this model. It will either fly well or it will drag it's rear around the field in a slow fashion or it will take a lot of up trim to make it drag it's rear around the field.

3. Mine flew fine with no wing stiffener (used dollar tree foam board though). However, in gusty conditions, the wing flex does make it a little unpredictable.

4. For my setup, Throttle management is kinda outta the question. But since I'm running a 4.75x5.3 prop, WOT doesn't seem too hard on my equipment. The only way I could see using throttle management on this plane is by keeping it at a safe altitude. This setup is what I salvaged out of my GP tutor. I have gotten almost hour long flights from it on a single charge by taking it up about 100ft and then floating around on 1/8th to 1/4th throttle.

5. Tight turns bleed off inertia pretty quickly. A wide flat circle is the more dependable flying pattern to get it up to heighth. Decrease in thrust causes a quick loss in altitude.

6. It's nice to finnally have an airframe that has the manueverability to avoid things like trees, cars, light poles, playground equipment, pets and small children.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Yep, they are thrust vectoring tabs only, not anything to do with balance. On the smaller plane is just really does not need them. It flips over just fine.

Had mine out at a fly-in in Tucson this past weekend. Kinda windy most of the time, and Iwas flying in 15mph steady with gusts to 20. Still pretty fun to toss around in the wind. Makes it easy to fly backwards and sideways.

Pat
yep sure is fun in the wind i fly mine when i think its too windy for my bigger
planes if i crash its not a biggy can rebuild one or fix the damage in a few mins or an hour or so to cut one out, i tried chasing some geese or sumthing today shot up to them didn't relies i had reached them and shot straight thru the gap in between them they soon scarped and i tried chasing but they were too fast for me upwind, i want to get attacked by one looks like fun dogfighting with a bird magpies seem to like attacking rc planes loads of youtube clips of bird v rc some are pretty funny,and its comming up to summer and bird can get pretty protective about now, i got attacked by a pair of sparrows a few years back tiny birds but had some big balls must of been near there nest was funny as
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:42 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggin View Post
Thrust Vectoring. Never considered it. Makes sense though. There's no reason to aero-balance 5mm foam ..lol... But, I've not yet gotten any kind of aerobatics out of this plane. No rolls either. When I try a loop, I end up with a flat spin-180. Maybe a weight issue.

I'm going to rebuild and use less glue, more attention and better cutting.

Ok, so I learned a few things with this experiment.

1. Jets like to fly fast and the faster this thing flies the more comfortable it handles.

2. There's a small margin for error on CG with this model. It will either fly well or it will drag it's rear around the field in a slow fashion or it will take a lot of up trim to make it drag it's rear around the field.

3. Mine flew fine with no wing stiffener (used dollar tree foam board though). However, in gusty conditions, the wing flex does make it a little unpredictable.

4. For my setup, Throttle management is kinda outta the question. But since I'm running a 4.75x5.3 prop, WOT doesn't seem too hard on my equipment. The only way I could see using throttle management on this plane is by keeping it at a safe altitude. This setup is what I salvaged out of my GP tutor. I have gotten almost hour long flights from it on a single charge by taking it up about 100ft and then floating around on 1/8th to 1/4th throttle.

5. Tight turns bleed off inertia pretty quickly. A wide flat circle is the more dependable flying pattern to get it up to heighth. Decrease in thrust causes a quick loss in altitude.

6. It's nice to finnally have an airframe that has the manueverability to avoid things like trees, cars, light poles, playground equipment, pets and small children.

whats your AUW as mine and most other peoples are very aerobatic mine will loop as long as i want, it just goes and goes can do like 10 in a row and turns very tight as well it basically can chase its tail till the cows come home and glides nice as well, rolls are a bit slow but still quick just not axle like.
its maybe over weight or underpowered try a bigger prop or one with more pitch but watch out with that 10amp esc that prop on 3s could pull more than 20 amp on that 3000kv motor 200+watts, wich is why i cant work out why yours is not quick mines fast at at 80watt!!
Last edited by foxy29; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:54 AM.