HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:25 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I don't think Adam (adbradley) ever had ailerons on his either.
im thinkin ot the 15 you did

BTW, there's already plans out there for the smaller F-15.

thanks pat but no not that one a steve shumate 60% some one made scaled down plans for that and the 100% im doing looks the dogs nads and ive got loads of 3mm depron leftand full fuse looks more scale,but ive made your 15 out of 6mm already just need a nose job and a motor

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033244

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsky View Post
That's another thing I like about the f22, no broken props either (yet); broke lots of them on other foamies and on some Typhoons which are around 2.50 a pop, along with bent shafts.

I took care of the storage problem by drilling a hole in the back of a clothes pin (the spring type), running a string through the hole and hang them from push pins in the ceiling. The clothespin clamps anywhere on the fuse.
wow never thought of that ill just have to convince my old dear to let me doit now,lol im 33 and still live with mommy rofl hey its cheap and this town stinks for cheap places to rent all want 70-80 a week for a bedsit surrounded by junky's and prosies and pissheads at the weekend no thanks and the town is full of (look in town name in location its in the middle an begins with c) lol my town name is still banned on a few sites cos of that daft or what
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:14 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
Quote:
"Craptor", that's pretty funny!

Here, check out my build tips thread. Lots of good information in it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052464

Pat
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of link I needed.
fraggin is offline Find More Posts by fraggin
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:50 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,601 Posts
foxy,

A friend of mine is actually working on producing a series of planes similar to the Steve Shumate builds, but reduced down to about 66%. They use 6mm depron and he will use the same power system I have for my mini pushers.

Don't know if he'll post plans, but I may be selling kits for him sometime in the future.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 07, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:19 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggin View Post
I've only balanced and given it a glide test with no electronics. It flies straight, but I have not glued in the wing spar yet.
I don't glue my spars in, I just tape them to the top of the wing, after the build is complete. Makes it easier to reuse the CF rods when the airframe bites it.

Literally I make a notch in the vertical part of the fuse right where the motor mount goes, run the CF rod from wing tip to wing tip and into that notch. I use good packing tape on both sides to attach it, and a dab of hot glue at the notch. I then hot glue on my 1/4" ply motor mount, which really sets it in place. The rod is still easy to remove, and was easier to install too.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:48 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
foxy,

A friend of mine is actually working on producing a series of planes similar to the STeve Shumate builds, but reduced down to about 66%. They use 6mm depron and he will use the same power system I have for my mini pushers.

Don't know if he'll post plans, but I may be selling kits for him sometime in the future.

Pat
nice as soon as i saw the one sal c made in the f15 forum i thought my big f15 needs a little bro it flew very nice as well, my f15 is almost done got my carbon but the 6mm magicly turned in to a control snake so waiting for the 6mm for wing spar and my giant cod 2212/06 now has 4 loose magnets after about 40 secs total run time pulling 19 amp im not a happy bunny at the moment
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:29 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA View Post
I'm going to build another, but I am going to scale it up to a 24" wingspan. I think that will better fit the 24g motor I am favoring, and the 5mm foam I am using. If and when I get it built, I will post some more about it. I'm also going to try using coroplast in the construction. Much experimenting. Also going to try a 3000kv motor this time around.
So I built a TomHe 28" model, and I used 6mm coroplast for the main wing and horizontal fuse; that one large single part. The rest is 5mm foam board. Its a little heavier than all foam of course, but talk about tough. I had it balanced all wrong, and dropped it from 40 feet on the maiden. Splat, cracked one little bit of foam. Tape, and back up. Power system is:

TURNIGY Bell 2409 1600kv Outrunner
Master Airscrew 8x4 prop
1300 3S 30C pack
30A Hobby King ESC

At WOT I'm getting about 6 minutes of good flight time, but I'm sure I could improve that. Had to take heroic measures to balance it, as it was stupidly tail heavy; two AA batteries on the nose for ballast.

I'm going to revise the power system with a different motor / prop at some point, as I just put on what I had on hand. The 1600kv motor works fine, but is sure not enough punch. Will go vertical however. I swear I can damn near hover it.

Now I cheated a little here, as I actually built the TomHe Mig 29; its so close to the F22, I figured a different profile would look nice in the air. It flies exactly the same as the F22, nice and easy, glides better than I expected as I kept over shooting my landings at first.

Speaking of, plans for an 18" Mig 29 would be cool.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:43 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
wow never thought of that ill just have to convince my old dear to let me doit now,lol im 33 and still live with mommy rofl hey its cheap and this town stinks for cheap places to rent all want 70-80 a week for a bedsit surrounded by junky's and prosies and pissheads at the weekend no thanks and the town is full of (look in town name in location its in the middle an begins with c) lol my town name is still banned on a few sites cos of that daft or what
Haven't you herd the new song called Pass Out, i quote from it "I've been to Southampton, but i've never been to Scunthorpe". I now no longer wonder why he has never been to Scunthorpe :L
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA View Post
So I built a TomHe 28" model, and I used 6mm coroplast for the main wing and horizontal fuse; that one large single part. The rest is 5mm foam board. Its a little heavier than all foam of course, but talk about tough. I had it balanced all wrong, and dropped it from 40 feet on the maiden. Splat, cracked one little bit of foam. Tape, and back up. Power system is:

TURNIGY Bell 2409 1600kv Outrunner
Master Airscrew 8x4 prop
1300 3S 30C pack
30A Hobby King ESC

At WOT I'm getting about 6 minutes of good flight time, but I'm sure I could improve that. Had to take heroic measures to balance it, as it was stupidly tail heavy; two AA batteries on the nose for ballast.

I'm going to revise the power system with a different motor / prop at some point, as I just put on what I had on hand. The 1600kv motor works fine, but is sure not enough punch. Will go vertical however. I swear I can damn near hover it.
Use the trusty 2212-6, 30A ESC and APC 6X4E and you should be golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA
Now I cheated a little here, as I actually built the TomHe Mig 29; its so close to the F22, I figured a different profile would look nice in the air. It flies exactly the same as the F22, nice and easy, glides better than I expected as I kept over shooting my landings at first.

Speaking of, plans for an 18" Mig 29 would be cool.
The prototype for my new 18" Mig-29 is currently sitting on the workbench waiting for hinged control surfaces and the installation of electronics. My laser cutter has 3 kits cut up waiting for me to pick up today, and they should be listed on my site by tomorrow.

I will probably start a thread and post the plans.

Pat
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:51 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,601 Posts
foxy,

I've had 2212-6 motors that have thrown bell magnets as well. Pain in the arse! So far the only ones I've had that have not thrown mags is the actual Suppo branded motors I got from RCHotDeals.

I'm currently working with a few suppliers in China to see if I can get some to sell on my site.

Pat
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:38 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I'll prolly be up late tonight geting my f22 'craptor' outfitted with it's power and controls. Can't wait to fly it, but life keeps getting in the way. I may have to bring some stuff to the office to build. I can get away with soldering, wiring, electronics etc cuz it blends in with my job so well, but when I have brought planes to work, people tend to notice.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:46 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,601 Posts
I hear ya! The only thing I can do at work is browse the forums and design planes in CAD.

Pat
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:20 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
foxy,

I've had 2212-6 motors that have thrown bell magnets as well. Pain in the arse! So far the only ones I've had that have not thrown mags is the actual Suppo branded motors I got from RCHotDeals.

I'm currently working with a few suppliers in China to see if I can get some to sell on my site.

Pat
tis a shame as they are so powerful and apart from crap glue they rock, my next door neighbor works at a place where they do stuff for the miiltary some of it is quiet hush hush and asked her to get me some high temp epoxy,but for now just used araldite epoxy and some super glue down the sides if i can get the good epoxy i will take em all out and start again or get some liquid metal for exhausts rated for temps that will fry mags before they come loose again, if i buy one again i will pay a bit extra and get the satisfaction if it dies on first run like this one i can send it back. it is the only bad thing about giant cod they basically dont do refunds wich is why there prices cannot be beaten.its catch 22 need to test it but if you do and get a bad one they wont take it back cos its been used even tho they say in there Guarantee You should test your item as soon as you receive it but will be given a week from date of arrival to test it and will only replace DOA items which it basically was 1min max runtime is what i would class as doa if i had flown it would not have even botherd to ask if they would replace it but i have spent a fair bit of cash with them now but dont think i will buy any more motors from them cos of this
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:22 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Haven't you herd the new song called Pass Out, i quote from it "I've been to Southampton, but i've never been to Scunthorpe". I now no longer wonder why he has never been to Scunthorpe :L
too right i wish i hadn't neither,look up scunthorpe on wikipedia it's got it down to a tee and is a funny read
Old Apr 08, 2010, 03:27 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I reinforced the wings with packing tape and massaged the leading edges down. Balanced and test toss. It glides until it loses airspeed then just kinda belly flops on the ground. I'm intrigued. Bought the only small prop my lhs had and its an apc 4.75 x 5.5. Should work right?
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:09 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggin View Post
I reinforced the wings with packing tape and massaged the leading edges down. Balanced and test toss. It glides until it loses airspeed then just kinda belly flops on the ground. I'm intrigued. Bought the only small prop my lhs had and its an apc 4.75 x 5.5. Should work right?
what motor are you using on your craptor fraggin