HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:11 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA View Post
I have a 1700 blue wonder on my heavy F22, running a 6x5 prop, and it works well. Its not a rocket ship, but its a decent flyer with that setup.
thanks ace bigger prop prolly helps it lower kv normally need a big prop,jsky didnt mention prop size he used can only guess it was 5x3 or something as i wasnt too good, also jsky it strange your 2805 wont run on 3s i must have seen 5 or 6 planes/people using it on 3s now must be a bad one lol, ive yet to try mine on 3s supposed to 2s only prolly work if i keep the throttle low and a small prop like a 3x3 or smaller lol.

and pat do you have the aileron mod on yours? what's the roll rate like compared too stock and also how much does it affect pitch been thinkin of doing it,even made up the rods and horns but not got round to it lol and do you need to reduce your throws due to the extra control surface's?
thanks sorry for the Q+A
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:25 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
foxy,

My larger Raptor (28") has the aileron mod, but none of my Nico planes have ever had them. On the little one, they are not needed in my opinion. Even with just tailerons she rolls pretty good.

On the bigger one, having all four surfaces move together does not seem to adversely affect the plane in any way. And I did not need to decrease my throws at all.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2006
8 Posts
Wow, good guess foxy29, it was a 5x3 prop I started with; then tried a 5043, 4540 and even a 6030. Like Ace says, it's not a rocket ship.

Since I've got 3 of these, I'll settle for using the 2805 with 2s. Don't see the point in pushing the motor to do something I don't think it was designed to do. I've got some dead motors and a bunch of fried ESCs to remind me not to push the envelope all of the time.
Jsky is offline Find More Posts by Jsky
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:41 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsky View Post
Wow, good guess foxy29, it was a 5x3 prop I started with; then tried a 5043, 4540 and even a 6030. Like Ace says, it's not a rocket ship.

Since I've got 3 of these, I'll settle for using the 2805 with 2s. Don't see the point in pushing the motor to do something I don't think it was designed to do. I've got some dead motors and a bunch of fried ESCs to remind me not to push the envelope all of the time.
woah it was a good guess on the prop lol, ive been lucky with all my gear ive bought all still in full working order not even broke a prop in the 7-8 months ive been flying and never had a crash yet few close calls tho, all my damage has been on the ground or in transport.

crx i think i might have your plane mixed up with apbradleys oopps i now rolfjoosten has it, it was his vid that made me wanna build it in the first place good vid that and a nice sound track, the mod is on my massive list o things to do ive got the building bug bad want more and more and more planes when i get my f15 up in the air i might make the 60% version that should be good for the 1806 motor as well also want a warbird a wing and somthing for 3d decisions decisions decisions just need to find some room to put them need to make a rack or somthing or hang off the ceiling
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:46 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
I don't think Adam (adbradley) ever had ailerons on his either.

BTW, there's already plans out there for the smaller F-15.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033244

Pat
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2006
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
woah it was a good guess on the prop lol, ive been lucky with all my gear ive bought all still in full working order not even broke a prop in the 7-8 months ive been flying and never had a crash yet few close calls tho, all my damage has been on the ground or in transport.

crx i think i might have your plane mixed up with apbradleys oopps i now rolfjoosten has it, it was his vid that made me wanna build it in the first place good vid that and a nice sound track, the mod is on my massive list o things to do ive got the building bug bad want more and more and more planes when i get my f15 up in the air i might make the 60% version that should be good for the 1806 motor as well also want a warbird a wing and somthing for 3d decisions decisions decisions just need to find some room to put them need to make a rack or somthing or hang off the ceiling

That's another thing I like about the f22, no broken props either (yet); broke lots of them on other foamies and on some Typhoons which are around 2.50 a pop, along with bent shafts.

I took care of the storage problem by drilling a hole in the back of a clothes pin (the spring type), running a string through the hole and hang them from push pins in the ceiling. The clothespin clamps anywhere on the fuse.
Jsky is offline Find More Posts by Jsky
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:48 AM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
My first attempt ended up with anhedral. Anyone else have this issue?
fraggin is offline Find More Posts by fraggin
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:49 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
fraggin,

When you glued in the wing spar, were you working on a flat surface? When I build my planes now, I use a piece of 1x18 shelving board to lay under my cutting mat to ensure a flat surface. My card table has a spongy foam top and is not perfectly flat.

Have you attempted to fly the plane yet?

Pat
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:04 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I've only balanced and given it a glide test with no electronics. It flies straight, but I have not glued in the wing spar yet.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 12:26 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Hmm, gluing in the wing spar should be the first step of construction. Getting it in there now will be a challenge.

Pat
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:49 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
There's steps? I just kind of 'winged' it. I didn't notice any instructions. I may just leave the wings as they are and finish the build. The first one is a learning experience anyway, right?
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:52 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I may just give it a go as is. It gives it that harrieresque look.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:33 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
I have flown the bigger 28" WS 6mm depron birds without a wing spar, and they did fine for a while. But after time the wings started to bow upwards, creating lots of anhedral.

But the bottom framework of the Raptor is pretty solid, so you may be OK.

One of these day I'll get a build manual done.

Pat
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:45 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I need more practice cutting foam anyway. It's all assembled well, but looks a bit shoddy from my poor cutting abilities. More of a f22 Craptor.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 05:25 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
"Craptor", that's pretty funny!

Here, check out my build tips thread. Lots of good information in it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052464

Pat