HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:06 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
foxy,

Mine also goes left because of torque, even with full right input.

I have Scale & Tile too and use it all the time. Great program.

kgd,

Nice looking Raptor! Have you done the maiden yet?

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:27 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
433 Posts
I built one of these months ago, back in September 09. I then proceeded to put equipment far too heavy into it. It was my first foamie. Needless to say, well, here's a video of the charming results.

RC 18" Foam F22 Bloopers (1 min 14 sec)

It had a 56g motor and a 1300mah 2s battery. It was so over loaded, I killed it. I was happy with the build, but never happy with the results. I learned a lot more over the next month and moved on to build some very successful foamies, both from plans, and scratch built. It has been fun.

Last weekend I looked at the beat up airframe of my little F22, stripped of everything, and just sitting there. I have recently built a pair of Blu Baby's, and wanted to get back to elevon controls, because its more fun. So I figured, why not. Liking the KFm airfoils, I KFm'ed the fuse, by gorilla gluing panels onto the top of the wings and fuse. I did this to give some strength the destroyed engine mount area as well. With that done I put a 20g 2300kv motor on it with a 4.75 x 4.75 APC prop, and drove it with a 500mah 2s battery. A similar setup powers one of my more successful scratch built planes that is larger. It was a disaster. It flew, but only at WOT and barely.

So lots of hacking, mucking about, I tried for a larger prop, the same prop on my other plane, to find the motor wouldn't even start up with that prop on it. For real, the very same prop and motor are on a tractor style plane, working perfectly, but not here they don't. The prop is a master airscrew 6x3.5. What the hell?

So lots of messing around later I swap the motor for a 24g 1700kv motor. That was the ticket. I slap a GWS 6x5 prop on it, and bam, off she goes, lots of thrust, lots of power. Still needs just over half throttle to cruise gently, but it flies well. I would post a picture, but after seeing how nice some of yours look, I can't bare to show you the hacked up monster mine is.

On the KFm, since it didn't fly in stock form, I can't comment on the effect of the KFm panels I laminated to the fuse and wings, but it does fly well with it. Can land it near vertical when I try, very predictable stall with an easy recovery. Haven't tried any high alpha with it.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:28 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
foxy,

Mine also goes left because of torque, even with full right input.

I have Scale & Tile too and use it all the time. Great program.

kgd,

Nice looking Raptor! Have you done the maiden yet?

Pat
i thought id read that some one else's did as well scale and tile is mint glad i found it.

kgd that does look nice, should fly as well as it looks
wish i had more paint ive only got some humbrol no11 silver and dont want to add weight with it yet,will do when i get a more beefy motor, is that an emax 2805 on yours? is it any good ive got a 2822 in my box not bad and cheap too,can get all 3 in a deal for 15 the 2805,2812,2822 not bad price for three motors, i might get it if the 2805 has some punch on this plane,and i need a low kv for a 3d type which the 12 fits 900kv or somthing and a spare 22 for 15 bargin.
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:42 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
Ace,

HOLY COW! Man, that sucker was really heavy! I feel bad, but I have to say I did enjoy your blooper real. I thought for sure it was going in the pool!

When you went to the 20g 2300kv motor I thought "now he's got it". But then saw that you used a 2S pack. If you had put a 3S 500 in it, I'm sure it would have been a screamer.

Glad to hear you finally got it flying well.

Pat
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
foxy,

When I first started I always worried about paint adding weight to my planes. But over the years I've found that paint added an insignificant amout of weight to the plane.

Spray paints work best. Light coats sprayed from a little under a half meter (to keep the propellant from eating the foam).

Pat
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:06 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Ace,

HOLY COW! Man, that sucker was really heavy! I feel bad, but I have to say I did enjoy your blooper real. I thought for sure it was going in the pool!

When you went to the 20g 2300kv motor I thought "now he's got it". But then saw that you used a 2S pack. If you had put a 3S 500 in it, I'm sure it would have been a screamer.

Glad to hear you finally got it flying well.

Pat
I actually put a 3s on it for a test, and the motor crapped out, wouldn't get past half throttle without cutting out. I used to really like these little hextronik 20g motors, but not as much any more.

I'm going to build another, but I am going to scale it up to a 24" wingspan. I think that will better fit the 24g motor I am favoring, and the 5mm foam I am using. If and when I get it built, I will post some more about it. I'm also going to try using coroplast in the construction. Much experimenting. Also going to try a 3000kv motor this time around.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:27 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
I know a bunch of guys in LA that are building 22" versions out of FFF and using them for combat. Not sure what their preferred motor is though.

Pat
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:39 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
433 Posts
If only we could get FFF in canuck land.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:10 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
ace that plane was heavy,like crx i easy thought it was in the pool
been thinking of scaleing one up a bit dont no what to tho?

crx i only have brushes to paint at the min so will add a bit of weight compared to spraying it,gotta get some spray cans white looks so boring and gets filthy quick, its always wet and muddy here will prolly get the black depron well grey but more black than grey lol and black looks mean.
all my f15 stuff WOULD of been here to day dang good friday will have to wait till moro also getting another batt for my f22 an 800mah, now i can take my leccy bike 12v batts to the field there big but not as big as a car batt and have 3 of them panasonic 6-DZM-10 12v1/10ah/2h type. I have been using them all week to charge my batts so should be good for a day at the field yay
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:31 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
F22

Boys with this plane built as designed, mine is a screamer. I use the 1806 2500 kv motor, a SS 10 amp ESC and 5 gram HK servos. Lighter is better. I have experimented with both 2 cell and 3 cell batteries. What seems to be the best is a 3 cell 500-800 pack. Plenty of power and endurance. I don't recommend anything bigger. It just causes the plane to be overloaded. The camo is painted free hand with craft paints. I have at least 50+ flights on her and she's still tearing up the air over the war chocked skies in NJ. Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
8 Posts
Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. I've got 3 of these flying, all with a few dings but it's easy to repair. I've tried a few different motors and still find the 1806 2500 kv works best as Martys says.

The only mods I made was to go to a stick mount, full 10mm for a couple of inches of stick and then 5mm X 10mm all the way forward to the back of the bottom fuse for strength. I added a couple pieces of balsa on either side of 5mm bracing and that becomes my battery mount. I also added bamboo skewers on both sides of the bottom fuse which is 6mm depron, all the rest is 3mm.

I've used everything from 500 3s to 1300 3s (needs a good cg placement and trim with the 1300) and it's fantastic. Probably the most forgiving foamy ever. It has a tendency to
right itself, so flying inverted takes a little extra doing. Can't say enough good things about this design.
Jsky is offline Find More Posts by Jsky
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:49 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Jsky 1300!! what does it weigh,my 1300 weighs in at 105g or did .Tried mine on a 2s 1300 at 70g was a 3s but stuck a scalpel in one cell by accident was only tiny just nicked it,knife fell of my bed, so took off the bad cell so its a 2s now too bad all my big planes need 3s, flew ok on a 10g motor auw with that batt was 170g normaly 120g. Just need a bigger motor the 1806 has just come in at giant cod but they had some that where diff mounts rear mount type and dont know how easy they are to change back?

these ones 2100kv normal mount but strange shaft sticks out front and back not seen that before?
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/x1806-22gr...-p-402461.html
is this the same as nicohobbys 1806,crx? guess not lol

and typical my other choice is out of stock 2500kv 22g
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/2500kv-mic...-p-404583.html

next choice is higher kv looks like a blue wonder 4000kv and a 3000kv shud be a screamer on those also have 2500kv as well all 20 gram
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1687
Last edited by foxy29; Apr 02, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:46 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
I was out flying my 22 again this morning. On the first flight of the day, I went to hand catch it at landing and accidentally goosed the throttle too much and put it in the ground instead.

Did not break the nose off, but almost. All foam was cracked right at the front of the intakes. Also broke a wingtip, and got a crack near the motor mount.

I wanted to fly it again, but all I had on hand was packing tape. One piece on the wing and one on the fuse and off she went again!

I really love this plane!

Pat
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2006
8 Posts
Hey Foxy29, I normally use 500 3s and get about 5 minutes with OK charge left. I'm able to use the 1300 3s by making an ES3 to JST adapter. This allows me plenty of time to get
to the altitude I want and simply cut back to a slow cruise. This almost always attracts eagles, looks like food I guess, we all go around in circles till the fun starts. Several have made dives at it but have never snatched it.

Anyway, I get most of my stuff from HobbyKing because of the price and can't comment about the motors you mentioned. I do have a new Blue wonder that I've never used, I can put it on one and let you know if it works. Maybe someone else has already tried it and can comment.

One of my F22s now has an EMAX 2805 that I use just to get some use out of my 2s batteries. Performance is only half of a 3s. It wasn't made for a 3s and won't run on one, it just shut down at about mid throttle when I tried it. 7v-9v is printed right on the motor.
Jsky is offline Find More Posts by Jsky
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:53 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
did somthing like that the other day it was on top of another plane with a laggy band holding both together,forgot id took the band off and bent down f22 fell off and landed on the wing tip and cracked it just at the end of the spar,luckily i ALWAYS take selotape with me was second maybe third flight got prolly 20+on it now yay,thats a point i need to fix that (reaches for glue) also was doing high alpha low down and a gust caught it flipped it in a loop straight in on the nose and just bounced like epp i was shocked was full power almost but only shoulder hight yay glad i did nose 6mm now,next one will be a 6mm wing and fuse maybe sides,but if i do them i might as well build the whole thing 6mm lol