HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Great colors Keith! I know what you mean, i have built a few of these as well, thats whats so great about them, you beat one up, then just build another and transfer the gear, its awesome. I have some of these cut out in the dark gray or they call it black, but its not black to me. If anyone wants a gray one, let me know, i havent got them up on the site yet.

Adam
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:29 AM
Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
Cool
I cant wait to see it. I think I am going to order another ESC/motor set so I can have a backup ready. Its good to have a spare plane. Just in case. lol

Keith
keithdubya is offline Find More Posts by keithdubya
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
looks great Keith..Did you use a water based acrylic paint? mine met an early demise due to the wind.. it seems its always windy in Florida. I am thinking about another combo too. Adam... you ship faster than a lot of other big hobby companies, and your prices are great... thanks ..

Brett
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
That was why i started this business brett, i wanted people to be able to get there items in just a few days, instead of waiting weeks.

Thanx for your business guys!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:13 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
Thanks bsfixit, Yes I used water based Acrylics with a badger 250 airbrush. The paints are Tamiya that I got at the hobby shop, but I intend to find them elsewhere cheaper.

Keith
Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
I got a an airbrush from Harbor Freight for 15 dollars.. hose 5 dollars.. it seems to work well. After reading a thread on finishing foamies. I dilute the paint with windshield washer fluid.. it works well. Also this guy got his water based acrylic from
a regular paint store. Apparently you can use any water based acrylic from home depot, or lowes. My wife has a drawer full of water based acrylics. I will paint my next plane.

Adam I am still waiting for my Hobby King 2.4 gHz RX..from HK, so I can make 3 planes and use the same transmitter. But it does take forever from China. One email said 45 days! thankfully it wasn't that long, maybe 2 weeks. Thanks again for shipping so fast.. I hope to have a plane ready for the new motor and props..
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
you can usual pay about 6 dollars more from hobby king, and get the express shipping, and you get it in about a week.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
As for the water based acrylics, any of the paints from places like Michael's and Jo-Ann's work great too. I prefer the Apple Barel and Americana brands. Plus you can get them in smaller bottles in just about any color. I usually take a pic with me of the subject I'm modeling and just eye match the colors.

They also work well in an airbrush when properly thinned.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:19 PM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
you can usual pay about 6 dollars more from hobby king, and get the express shipping, and you get it in about a week.
I never saw that option... still Even if its not made in the USA I prefer to put money in the pockets of Americans who are selling the products...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:33 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
I maiden'd her today. She flys like a dream. On the second battery the power stopped all of a sudden. I still had control of the Elevons so I was able to put her down safely. The prop kind of jerks both directions when I give it any gas. I wonder if that means my motor or my ESC is going out. I have some larger ESCs, should a try one on the motor to test my motor? Or should I just get another motor and ESC?

Keith
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:39 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
First check all your solder joints to the motor connectors. And did you add any connectors, or just direct solder the wires from the ESC to the motor? If you added connectors, make sure everything is soldered up good.

Sounds like your timing is off, and a bad solder joint will do that.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Yeah, check the joints for sure, i have never had one of these motors or esc fail ever.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:09 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
Ok the connections are soldered, but that is the first thing I will check when I get home today.

Keith
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:04 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Also, check the motor, take it loose with the set screws that hold it to the mount, then look into the back side, blow on it or blast it with an air gun. I have had issues with dirt or a small rock getting in there and causing this type of thing before.

Adam
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:08 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
That is good to know Adam... I should pick up a can of Electrical parts cleaner for cleaning out the backside of the motor..

Adam .. what is the best way to remove the motor plate. ( not the ply mount) from the epoxy, if it got glued onto the ply board.?