SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2008, 07:34 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
259 Posts
I agree about the lighter=more fun part! Mine comes in at 4.5oz auw with the 480/2cell pack.
Dudley is offline Find More Posts by Dudley
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2008, 10:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
89 Posts
Hey Guys,

Could you guys please give me a run down of what the best combination of electronics is, what it costs, and cheapest place to buy it?? Also where can i get some off the foam u guys are using, can i get it at a local hardware store(ie Home Depot, Lowes)?? Kinda of new to the whole building of foam jets but have built a ton off models so it shouldn't be to hard! This F-22 looks like a lot of fun!!!

Thanks!!
ChargerF18 is offline Find More Posts by ChargerF18
Old Sep 03, 2008, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
If you go to the first page of this thread the first message has a link to the motor i use, its from Unitedhobbies.com, cheap and powerful, i also use there 10 amp esc, and $3.49 hxt500 5 gram servos, and there loong max 500 mah 3 cell battery. i think the whole setup with a battery is about 35$

The material that i use is 3mm Depron, i have it laser cut localy. If any of you would like one of my laser cut kits they are $25 plus shipping. You can get depron from your local hobby shop. Some of the other people here are using other types of foam, just read back in the thread and you might get a better idea.
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Sep 06, 2008, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
89 Posts
where is the best and cheapest place to find foam?? What are the pros and cons to depron vs foam board vs any other foams??

Thansk
Old Sep 06, 2008, 03:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,597 Posts
If you have an LHS nearby that carries depron, you can buy from there. Otherwise you can order various sizes online at rcfoam.com.

The advantage of depron over foam board is you don't have to worry about removing the paper covering (if you wanted it without).

I bought a case of 6mm depron from RCFoam and still have lots left, even after several foamy builds.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 06, 2008, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
I find Depron to be far superior to the other forms of foam, its just more expensive.. For this model though, i think its the best choice.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2008
89 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys...one other thing this may sound kinda dumb...but like i said im new to the whole building from scratch thing. I have a normal printer at home, what plans due i use(tiled or full) what is the easiest to use??? Also what do i set my printer scale at to print correctly??

Thanks again!!
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
if you have a normal 8.5x11 you want to print the tiled plans, that is what they are set up for, you should be able to just press print, and the scale should come out correct
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,597 Posts
One caution with printing the tiled PDF files. Make sure the scaling selection is set to "None". They will come out the right size then. If not, the plane comes out slightly smaller.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
89 Posts
Thanks Guys!!! Ill be printing soon and building one out of scrap card board to get use to building something from scratch, before i build from foam!!
Old Sep 07, 2008, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2008
89 Posts
Well guys i spent five hours and i broken down box of card board and built the F-22 today i will have a pic tomorrow for u. I have something else for you guys, im in love with the F-18 Super Hornet by tomhe, i would like to make a scaled down version like you did with the F-22. Can you guys make up some plans or tell me how i can scale them down to the size of the F-22. I just like the fly away cost of the F-22 is so cheap and cheap to maintain if something does break. Awesome plans and i cant wait to build one from foam and get her in the air!!

Thanks for everything guys, hopefully you can help me out on the F-18 Super Hornet.

Luke
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:10 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
My F-22 is still in the air and having loads of fun! Just added beacon lights to the top and bottom to help orient it as the days are growing shorter. Now a little dusk flying is possible.
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:33 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
F22

Mine is finished and ready for the maiden this weekend. I camoed her with green, tan and dark brown paint. She came out at slightly heavier than 5 OZs. I used a motor from Hobby City, a Berg RX and small servos from HC as well. It has a 2 cell 540 mah battery in it with a 5X3 prop. Looking forward to the flight. BTW, the jet was a big success at the meeting. Several pilots are in the process of building one. Martin

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...cro_Motor_(19g)
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:20 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
OK, got my 3mm Depron from RCFoam.com. First problem, I didn't realize the wingspan was wider than the sheets I bought. Soooooooooo..........I'm improvising on my first attempt. I doubled the main panel, one split down the center, the other split across the panel, about 2" behind the COG. It's a little thick but very stiff. This will be my first pusher jet so if it's a little slow, that's OK

One thing I found out, the belt grinders I use for making knives work great for profiling the Depron. It sands and burnishes the edges beautifully I'll post some pics as I get farther along in my build.

Thanks for the plans! I love the design!!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:59 PM
up up and away
United States, LA, Ferriday
Joined Mar 2008
364 Posts
dt foamboard f22

Thanks for tiling for foamboard Adbradley. Finally had a chance to build an f22. These little planes are alot of fun to fly. I ended up making two. I tried to have my son film me flying one of them and all I have is a short video because the batteries died on the camera. Im having a hard time uploading it because its to large of a file, any suggestions? Well here is the setup on my f22's. 1st one has a 2805 (2840kv) emax motor w/ gws 6x3 prop(had to modify the plane a little)corona 4 channel synthesized receiver, 18 amp supersimple esc and 2 cell 750 mah rhino lipo. The second f22 has a ax 1806n 2500 kv 19 gram motor, gws 5x3 prop, 18 amp supersimple esc, hextronik 3 cell 360 mah lipo, and a polkhobby 6 channel receiver( I couldnt get my other corona receiver to program). auw on each on is around 8oz .
ac_rite90 is offline Find More Posts by ac_rite90
Last edited by ac_rite90; Sep 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM.