HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:02 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
F-22 Maidened.....WOW!

Took the F-22 out this weekend with the above described setup. "Build 2" Flew fantastic! The 2900KV motor is definitely the way to go. What we found is the 2500kv using the 5mm foam was fine - as long as you did not double the fuselage top and bottom. Once this was done as a test, the plane became to heavy.

Build 2 with its laminated packing tape didn't have any such issues with this motor. The 3s1p 1200mah pack from TrueRC balanced perfectly with the pack fully forward inside the compartment. Also the Azzar antenna made it look great in the air without the 72mhz antenna trail. I was able to cruise around at less than half throttle with ease....3/4 throttle and it became a missle. Hardest part was keeping orientation with the camo!

No in flight video yet - hopefully soon.
===================
www.aatoolbox.no-ip.com
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
Vanish,

The APC tractor props BP sells have a percision hole on one end that is centered that you can place a bushing in for different motor shaft sizes. The other end of the hole isn't machined the same way, so if I flip the prop around it won't be centered. Doesn't make sense to me, but thats the way all three of the ones I have are. Even the documentation which accompanies them describes this. Thats why the BP site lists both "pusher" props and tractor for APC of the same size. I just ordered the tractor thinking I could flip them around, like the GWS ones.

Since the GWS 5043 worked just fine, its not a big deal....
=========================
www.aatoolbox.no-ip.com
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Im glad everyone is enjoying this plane!! It took a little way to catch on, but it seems to be getting more popular..

I perfer to fly mine light, its about 5oz, what are the weights on the ones you guys are building?

As far as throws go, i do normal flying with about 1/4 of throws, it doesnt take much. But i use maxed out throws with lots of expo, and the plane will go from full speed to almost stop and flip around with the heavy throws. This also helps in slow speed flight, i can get it to hover with a light breeze.

Id love to see some video from you guys!
adbradley is offline Find More Posts by adbradley
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
Adam,

I'll try to weigh mine by this weekend, along with hopefully some flight vids as well. With the laminated packing tape, I'm sure it has to be heavier than stock, but thought it was a good trade off with the extra fuselage protection and the larger 2900kv motor.

I did save a little weight though and went with 5 gram servos instead of HS-55's and they seem to have plenty of power.
===================
www.aatoolbox.no-ip.com
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Yeah i use the hxt500 servos from united hobbies, and have never had a problem, other than one being DOA and installing it without testing it, had to replace it, but they have plenty of power, cant beat them for $3.50 either
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Bigger Battery

Maybe I better use a bigger battery! Have a 1000 mah Lipoly I could use. Also am planning to use the same 5oz servos. BTW Adam, your jet caught on like wildfire with the club! I will post some pics when we finally get them all together at the field. Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
Maybe I better use a bigger battery! Have a 1000 mah Lipoly I could use. Also am planning to use the same 5oz servos. BTW Adam, your jet caught on like wildfire with the club! I will post some pics when we finally get them all together at the field. Marty
That is awesome, im glad you guys are enjoying it!
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:14 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
F22

About 80% complete. Several other club members building units too. Hope to maiden by next week. Marty
Old Aug 09, 2008, 08:21 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
Flight Video

Adam,

Here is the flight video of the 5mm version. Forgot to reset the trim from a previous plane so the takeoff was a bit different. Still need to get the AUW yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmVvUl6wo1M
Old Aug 09, 2008, 08:48 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Awesome, looks like you have just as much fun with this plane as i have. For the cost of the electronics and ease of a build, this plane is just to much fun! GREAT VIDEO!
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:08 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
de- paperd

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
I got a message from RacerX208, and he said they had used my plans to build a few of these planes from de-papered elmer's 5mm foam board. He asked me to revise the drawing so that the tabs worked with the 5mm board, so here it is. This should fit on a standard 20"x30" sheet of elmers foam board.

This drawing now shows the approximate CG

I added a tiled drawing as well

How Did you take out the paper on the foam board?
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
splitpilot,

There are a number of ways to do this, but my "favorite" is this:

1) Take (1) board, and place it in a large garbage bag outside, laying the board flat on the ground inside the bag.

2) Use a hose and fill the bag with water so it covers the board and stop when it starts to come out of the bag (I usually use the "draw string" type)

3) Let the board sit in the water for about 1 hour, then rip a hole in the bottom of the bag, to allow the water to escape.

4) What I usually do at this point is just leave the board in there, and use the hose to "spray off" the remainder of the paper. What your left with usually is a clean board and a small pile of paper that you can get rid of.

Another way to do this is to just cut your parts out first, with the paper on, then throw them in the bag and depaper them as discribed.

I hope the info helps.

Adam, glad you like the video. Yes, I really love this plane!
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:33 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
F22 site

Here is a nice site for reference materials including pics, etc. Marty
http://www.geocities.com/fin_bhera/Pictures.html
Old Sep 01, 2008, 11:36 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
259 Posts
Great plane, built one up yesterday and test flew it today, running a very small 9gram motor that Himodel used to sell but have discontinued. This thing flies great with a 5-3 gws prop and a 840/2cell but going to step down to a 460/2cell for wieght
Dudley is offline Find More Posts by Dudley
Old Sep 02, 2008, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2007
778 Posts
Awesome, another happy flier! I noticed that this plane gets more and more fun with the less weight. the lighetest one i bult was just under 5oz ready to fly, at this weight, and the power setup i was using, it was easy to use heavy throws and slow it don to a hover.