Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:08 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Evalith8,

You're going to really enjoy flying the F-22. With your 3D skills, I'd go with rudders to take full advantage of this airframe. Definitely, if you're going to do one at 200%-300% larger. The one you're getting from Pat, has a 2.5" larger WS, than the one you saw fly at EOT. That was my scaled down version. If you need a specific size WS, let me know. I can scale up the pdf and tile if need be. Also, as Pat said, RCFoam is the place to go to order foam. Shipped right to your front door. Let me know if you need a hand.

Ksqm
So your saying to add rudders on the one I just got from Pat or on the big one I plan on making?
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
No rudders on mine, add rudders to the big one. Rudders on the little one don't make much difference. It's so light (6.5oz) that rudders do nothing but add weight.

I can also resize the original 28" WS plans to any size you need as well.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
No rudders on mine, add rudders to the big one. Rudders on the little one don't make much difference. It's so light (6.5oz) that rudders do nothing but add weight.

I can also resize the original 28" WS plans to any size you need as well.

Pat
Ok thats what I thought.Rudders on the big one for sure.I was also thinking of adding ailerons mixed into the elevons.I also was thinking about adding a 3 dimensional fueselage for a more realistic look.Any thoughts on the final weight for this thing & what type of motor/battery to use.Ive got plenty of of 4s 4000 & 2200 batteries.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
The one at 28" WS weighs about 16oz AUW. I would think 200% would be around 2.5-3lbs max, depending on how big you go with batts.

Not sure what motor would be good as I've not made any of these that big.

Pat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
I maidened the 22 during lunch today & even in 15 mph winds it was super stable,I have to say it is a bit better than the su-30.The 30 looks better but the 22 flys totally different,rock solid & very predictable.Now I need to add the darker gray camo,decals & panel lines & it's all done.I was flying the 30 with a 500 3s way forward.I picked up some glacier lipo 800 3s & they are way better.Seems to me the planes like the extra ballast the bigger batteries provide.Im getting 8 minutes of mixed flying.The 22 will almost hover straight up,does a great harrier.People at the field say they knew I would not be flying these planes like a typical jet,I guess once you fly 3d its hard to give up old habits.Im seriously thinking a rudder might make a 3D capable pusher jet.BTW,anyone put lights on theirs yet?I got white & blue leds from twisted hobbies on both of mine,great for those late day sessions.
Oh yeah,Pat,as soon the pocket jets are ready I have to have one.Is it possible to get a pocket jet plan scaled up like the 22 I plan on building?Big fan of the scale look.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:23 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Wow, you got that built fast! And yes, they like the 850 packs way better than the 450s or 500s. I first started using a 3S 450 as I was trying to stay as light as possible, but the 850 makes it more stable and helps penetrate the wind.

As soon as I get back from Vegas this weekend, the Pocket Jets will be my priority. I hope to have them up on the site soon.

Did you say lights?

Pat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Wow, you got that built fast! And yes, they like the 850 packs way better than the 450s or 500s. I first started using a 3S 450 as I was trying to stay as light as possible, but the 850 makes it more stable and helps penetrate the wind.

As soon as I get back from Vegas this weekend, the Pocket Jets will be my priority. I hope to have them up on the site soon.

Did you say lights?

Pat
holy sheite,I think I need to add some more lights to mine
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Those are the Hobby King Turnigy strip lights. You can divide the strips into sets of 3 lights, or any multiple of 3, and they plug right into 12v. I plug mine into the balance tap of the flight pack.

I have 164 LEDs on mine and it only added 1oz to the AUW. Flight times go down to about 7 minutes due to the added weight and drain by the LEDs, but that's about all I can do at night. After about 5 minutes my eyes start to water from looking at the lights so much!

Pat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:35 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Here's the post I made about how I added my lights:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1485

Pat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:42 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1533448&page=3
hey Pat is this a pocket jet?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Yes, that's one. There will also be an F-15, T-38/F-5, and Saab Gripen. The ones I've done so far flew good, but they were all made of 6mm depron and were a little heavy. The redesigns will be primarily of 3mm depron to lighten them up a bit.

Pat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,286 Posts
Yes, that was one of the original version Pat put out. Unfortunately, a radio/ESC glitch, put it nose first into a running track. My heart sank when that happened. Looking to build another though, it was a VERY nice park flier.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that was one of the original version Pat put out. Unfortunately, a radio/ESC glitch, put it nose first into a running track. My heart sank when that happened. Looking to build another though, it was a VERY nice park flier.

Ksqm
a track at one of our local schools?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,286 Posts
I fly at Bethel High, when I can get it to myself. There's a football field with track around it. A soccor field is on one side and two baseball fields on the other side. LOTS of open airspace.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
868 Posts
Quote:
I fly at Bethel High, when I can get it to myself. There's a football field with track around it. A soccor field is on one side and two baseball fields on the other side. LOTS of open airspace.

Ksqm
the 4 soccer fields on the corner of old buckroe & andrews blvd is the spot,if the soccer punks are not playing its a dream come true,since theres 4 fields you can still fly if one side is occupied.very nice
Last edited by evalith8; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:55 PM.