HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
My plane weighs 6.8oz AUW, and my LED night flyer weighs 7.8oz. Both fly well and go vertical. You're right in between those, but you are using the lower kv motor, so you may need to shave off some more weight. Maybe even go with a 500 or 600mAh lipo too.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:39 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
which motor are you using Pat?
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Same one you have except the 2500kv version with a GWS 4530 prop. I have them available on my webstore.

www.nicohobbies.com/store

Pat
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Same one you have except the 2500kv version with a GWS 4530 prop. I have them available on my webstore.

www.nicohobbies.com/store

Pat
Maybe I should have paid a little more attention when ordering mine originally... IDK...

I just checked out your store.... and I ordered a new motor. I guess I'll put the new motor on the big jet and maybe make a smaller one 75% or so for the 2100kvm motor.

Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
Don't worry!!

I am also flying the 21000 KV motor (6 years old) and my F22 goes like a Bat out of Hell!! Vertical at around 1/3 throttle and she accelerates vertically at WOT. I think that yours will fly fine, this is such a good design that you will still have a real ball at that weight and 21000. Must admit that my Baby ‘only’ tips the scales at 180 Grams (6,4 Oz) but give it a go, what do you have to loose, a sheet of foamboard!!!!!
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:43 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
PS:- DEPRON, my case rests.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
The 2100 is just too small for my plane.... at 8.2oz. It may have flown it, but it would have had to worked pretty hard and I wouldn't have gotten any vertical climbs, that's for sure. I think the weight difference of that extra two ounces on my plane makes a huge difference. I was able to shave about 1 oz off of it, and my new motor arrived yesterda (Thanks Pat!!), so I'm hoping it will have the "get-up-and-go" that I am expecting. I also started a slightly smaller version, about 10% smaller, that I'm making out of the Readiboard with no paper on at all, that I think the 2100 motor will power sufficiently. I'll report back on that once I get them together.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
Obviously the 2400 KV motor will give you a bit more 'umpf' but as I said, this model is so good that I am sure that you could fly her on the 2100.
If you can get hold of Depron and use a lighter glue you don't need to shrink the size, I am reaching 'terminal' velocity with mine, i.e. after a certain point opening the throttle further just makes more noise and I only use full throttle to bore a hole in the sky (4-5 seconds and it is getting very hard to see) or to scare my club mates when I am doing low high speed passes. Reduce the size and the slow flight performance will suffer as the wing loading will go up, you could end up with exactly the same performance as if you had used the 2100 motor on a 'full sized'.
One thing is certain, you are going to lovvveeeeeeeeeeeee this one :-)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
I hope your very last statement is true. I've had fun building them, regardless. I did go a little "overboard" with the hot glue on the first one, so that could probably account for an .5-1oz... lol... I like to make sure things stay together, what can i say... lol. In regards to that, I have seen a lot of guys post about using the "White" Gorilla Glue. Is this just the clear GG, or the actual White colored glue that says it's for wood? I got some of the clear, and it works on the foam I have, but seems to take a very long time to set up compared to hot glue. Both are neater/cleaner than CA in my opinion.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
PS, I found that the 5 X 4,3 prop ran better on the 2100 KV. I can't remember the exact figures but testing on the ground the 4,5 X 3 gave a higher RPM but slightly less thrust and I am pretty sure that the current draw went up. Might try a 4,5 X 3 to see if it makes a difference in the air. To be honest, I was so pleased with the performance and my model is certainly fast enough for me so I have not chnged a thing from flight 1!!!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
OK, to help save you guys some trouble, here's the skinny on the different kv motors:

2100 - Will fly the original size plane just fine if built per my plans (3mm and 6mm depron), and using a 5030 or 5043 prop (my very first one was with a 2100kv motor). But I do suggest a smaller pack than the 850. Maybe something 500 or 600mAh. Be careful scaling down the plane. The prop canyon is already about as small as it can get. Scaling down and going up a half inch in prop diameter will require some creative cutting of the foam at the prop canyon.

2500 - Will fly anything up to about 8oz with authority, and up to 9oz just fine with an 850 lipo and a 4530 prop.

Some tips about construction and what glues to use can be found on my tips and techniques thread. It's worth a read:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052464

Pat
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:18 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I hope your very last statement is true. I've had fun building them, regardless. I did go a little "overboard" with the hot glue on the first one, so that could probably account for an .5-1oz... lol... I like to make sure things stay together, what can i say... lol. In regards to that, I have seen a lot of guys post about using the "White" Gorilla Glue. Is this just the clear GG, or the actual White colored glue that says it's for wood? I got some of the clear, and it works on the foam I have, but seems to take a very long time to set up compared to hot glue. Both are neater/cleaner than CA in my opinion.
Not totally sure about this but I believe that Gorilla Glue is a PU based adhesive which we get here in Germany under the UHU brand (called PU MAX). Got this tip from the head of production at a local furniture factory where thay use PU glue all the time. They spray one surface with water as it is the moisture that makes it cure and on small items he advised me to mix a couple of drops of water in with the glue before appying. The moisture makes the glue cure far more quickly but also makes it foam more, can be an advantage, can be a disadvantage. Get a small pot and try it. If it is foaming out over a surface where you dont want it, a wet finger can be used to smooth it back down but you have to keep doing it till the glue sets.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,387 Posts

This is the Gorilla Glue I use. The label says, "Dries White. 2X Faster. Bonds wood, stone, metal, ceramics, foam, glass & more!"
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:35 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
OK, to help save you guys some trouble, here's the skinny on the different kv motors:

2100 - Will fly the original size plane just fine if built per my plans (3mm and 6mm depron), and using a 5030 or 5043 prop (my very first one was with a 2100kv motor). But I do suggest a smaller pack than the 850. Maybe something 500 or 600mAh. Be careful scaling down the plane. The prop canyon is already about as small as it can get. Scaling down and going up a half inch in prop diameter will require some creative cutting of the foam at the prop canyon.

2500 - Will fly anything up to about 8oz with authority, and up to 9oz just fine with an 850 lipo and a 4530 prop.

Some tips about construction and what glues to use can be found on my tips and techniques thread. It's worth a read:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052464

Pat
After the 1811-2000 motor trashed on my 14" F22 I installed my spare 1806-2500 and cut down and balanced a 5043 prop to 4043 to fit the prop canyon. I was really surprised at the increase in performance. I'd guess speed at WOT low pass jumped 25%. I did not know how the airframe would handle the increased weight and speed of the 2500 but I cannot detect any problem. What was fun before is now a blast to fly.

Allan
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
thank you mclarkson.... that's what i have too. This is probably a dumb question, but do you guys use a little bit of water like it suggests?