HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:21 PM
Ski, fly or take pics?
Lakewood, CO
Joined Oct 2007
731 Posts
Discussion
Wow, someone just gave me a plane

Not exactly a micro, but a guy I work with just gave me a Firebird II. He said it flew once, crashed, and he didn't mess with it. So I'll have to take it home and go through it to see what works and what doesn't (rubber bands are dry-rotted on) and get it in the air. Oh happy day.
coloradoskier is offline Find More Posts by coloradoskier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:27 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
good luck, i bought a firebird scout for $30 off a freind, i hate having the throttle only start when the stick is halfway up( because of this the throttle spring resets the throotle stick halfway up evertime), having from halfway up to full up posittions for throttle made jut downright hard to get it to fly level, no throttle made it drop like a rock and full throttle shot the nose straight up and made the plane stall at a 80 degrre nose up attitude, hope yout Tx is different, i'm going to use its 5-cell 300 mah battery on my buzz b-17 instead.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:00 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,805 Posts
The Firebird and Firebird ll are quite different from the Scout. When I visited the Shanghai factory some years ago, the owner let me play with many of his toys (we had sometimes six planes having aerial combat with the shoot-down modules!). My favorite thing to do with them in Zrich is to thermal soar high up and over the lake once they are properly trimmed. I found the R/C to be of hobby quality (they are FM, for ex.). The NiMH Akkus/rechargeable batteries must be use-cycled at least 3 times (flown/cooled, recharged), even if only disused for a few weeks! Further, they MUST be hot for best performance. "Hot" means 140F/ 60C, which is enough to cause pain (but not injury) if you hold onto them (we seem to have digital skin pain sensors in our skin!). My practice is to slow charge them with the wall-charger at home and then put them in the freezer. Then at the field I'd use a minus delta peak NiMH quick charger (they can be safely charged at 1.7 amps), or sometimes just a big fat ceramic resistor and a larger NiCad Akku .... and use my hand as the cutoff sensor-guage. When thus freshly charged and HOT, they seem to have almost 2x as much power as when at room temp!

Have fun with your toy!
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:48 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
COngratulations!! I really enjoyed my Firebird Commander from a few years back. They bridge the gap nicely between planes like the ones we usually talk about in this forum and "real" parkflyers.

They are capable of flying up out of visual range (1000++ feet) without too much trouble.

These can be converted to 3ch if you have a radio with a V-tail mixer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
"Hot" means 140F/ 60C, which is enough to cause pain (but not injury)
Now that is entirely dependent on how long you hold onto it. IIRC, this temp is more than adequate for a low temperature burn injury.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:01 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
3-ch conversion just with a different radio!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:04 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
3-ch conversion just with a different radio!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??
Uhh.. sorry. I should have been more specific. You're going to need the radio gear (rx, tx), esc and a couple of servos.

The GWS "Dreamstarter" set would do it.. what's that, like $80? I JUST ordered a computer radio but I have been using my GWS Tx for four years now!

oops.. you'd need one of these too!! But I'd sell mine for $5 since I won't need it anymore.

http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=1689
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:07 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
oh
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:06 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
[re: 140F/60C] > Now that is entirely dependent on how long you hold onto it. IIRC, this temp is more than adequate for a low temperature burn injury.
Very funny . My assumption is that one cannot register the pain if one's brain is not functioning. And most people who are even semi-conscious will not keep holding onto something that really causes pain when you touch it. Nevertheless, I grant you right: although it seems peculiar that someone would continue to hold onto such a hot painful object , if you don't let go you will get some damage. "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" "Well then don't do that!"
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:23 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,805 Posts
see: gee (and more)

Three other points:

1. Both the Firebird and Firebird II are nose-heavy as produced. I mentioned this to the manufacturer when i was there and demonstrated the point. They will fly much better -- as in more efficiently -- with the C.G. back a bit. All that's required is to put a small foam spacer in front of the NiMH pocket (maybe just remove some from the rear and glue it in the front). About 3 - 4 mm works wonders.

2. Also, they profit from adding some washout, but when you heat the wings with a hairdrier the low-temp plastic skin material tends to separate frrom the underlying thin foam sometimes. In that case either you have to press it down with something flat while it's still hot or use a clothes iron at a very low temperature with some paper kitchen towel over the iron to let it glide over the surface without damage to the wing surface. That can be tricky and you must carefully start way under the correct temperature and work your way up. This is a useful technique with these planes, as the skin is often unadhering in spots, but you must be careful when you attempt it.

3. It is smart to protect the wing leading edge and the contact points for the rubberbands with Scotch Clear (Mylar) office/houehold tape.