Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2008, 04:14 PM
USA, OH, Lodi
Joined Nov 2005
182 Posts
Question
Motor doesn't run til half throttle on tx and what's this plug?

This may be vague but I only have limited knowledge of electric systems since I'm just getting into them. I bought this plane, an Ikarus Yak foamie, without testing it, at a swap meet.

What's happening is, when I advance the tx
throttle, the motor doesn't start moving until I reach half throttle, then it seems progressive up til full throttle. The tx advances my other 2 electrics normally with the same receiver, a small 72 mhz GWS 4 channel.

Rx is plugged into ch 3. The esc brand name is unknown since the sticker is missing but I was told it's a 10 amp and it's running a small rimfire outrunner.

Another strange thing is that the esc has got an extra 2 pin male plug coming out of the motor feed side of it. What's that?

Any help or test I can run to solve this problem would be appreciated. Thanks
expo is offline Find More Posts by expo
Last edited by expo; Jan 04, 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added a pic of the esc and plug
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:56 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,506 Posts
I'll give a shot at this one. The 2 pin connector is for 2cell or 3cell operation, most I've seen use a jumper on the pin for 2 cell and no jumper for 3 cell. this sets the LVC, low voltage cutoff.

Without knowing the radio, computer or what not, I believe your trims, subtrims or adjustments or outa wack on the radio. (check all the trim adjustments, epa's, atv's and such on channel 3 if its a computer radio.

Hope this helps.
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:42 PM
burdick,ks
Joined Feb 2003
171 Posts
Hi expo

What you may have is a Hobby Wing esc. When you first get them you have to decompress their throttle travel programing.

What you can try is, unplug the motor and the battery but keep it plugged to the Rx. Turn you radio on and move the throttle stick and trim to full, then plug in just the battery to the esc . If the esc beeps then you are on the right track, then lower the throttle and trim to full off . If the esc beeps again then the throttle should be expanded to full throttle travel. Unplug the battery and turn the radio off , plug the motor back in , turn the radio back on and plug in the battery and give it a test to see if that solved your problem.

The two pin lead may be a battery balance port that allows you to balance the battery while its being used.

Jim
turbine01 is offline Find More Posts by turbine01
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:49 PM
USA, OH, Lodi
Joined Nov 2005
182 Posts
I'll give it a try tomorrow and post a pic on the esc.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:35 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
ive got a similar problem with my plane, im using a JR Max 66......If i put the main trim to 0, the sub-trim to 0, and the travel adjustments at 100. The throttle only engages very late (not as late as half throttle but still too late).
It also reaches full -throttle very early (so its at full throttle before the stick is close to the top) Its like the only movement is in the Inter-Quartile Range of the throttle stick (two middle quarters instead of alll four)...if you know what i mean.
Im not sure the proper way to adjust the trims and travel adjustments to correct this, can anyone give me a hand?

And i dont know why but if i manage to get the probelm nearly fixed, (good enough for me) if i unplug the battery then plug it in again its like i havent changed anything at all...all the trim correctements are still pugged in to the transmitter but it has the same throttle problems, its like every time i unplug and plug the battery in, the motor trim just loses its memory???
Can anyone explain??

Thanks, Daniel
legine is offline Find More Posts by legine
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:18 PM
burdick,ks
Joined Feb 2003
171 Posts
Hi Legine

What brand of esc are you using?

Jim
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:18 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
Its a towerpro....
very dodgy, im thinking of getting an 18A dualsky ESC.

Thanks, Daniel
legine is offline Find More Posts by legine
Old Jan 04, 2008, 05:36 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
I had the same problem with some chinko stiff.. Must try the re-programming stuff alluded to here.

Trims made no difference..the thing seemed to autosense the throttle setting and get it wrong every time..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:44 PM
burdick,ks
Joined Feb 2003
171 Posts
Well expo what you have is not a Hobby Wing unless its a very early early version that I have never seen. I don't know what the black plug is for, doesn't look like it would fit any battery balance plugs. Maybe its a plug that will allow you to run a 400 sized brushed motor, kind of a duel use ESC or it has something to do with the BEC.

Go ahead and give that procedure a try anyway to see if it works, cant hurt!

Jim
Old Jan 04, 2008, 05:20 PM
O. C. CA
Joined Jan 2005
815 Posts
That ESC is one like I have been using, and for sure it sets the ESC for either two or three cell operation. Cap on these pins for two cell, like it is now for three cell. A cap from any old hard drives or floppy drive will fit those pins. Since I use only three cells, I just cut them off at the circuit board.

Himeros
himeros is offline Find More Posts by himeros
Old Jan 04, 2008, 05:29 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
It is not a Hobby Wing unless it is a style older than the ones I have. I have a bunch of those and one of these too. It for sure is the 2 cell, 3 cell jumper. The throttle setting that was mentioned might work though. Mine seems to work normally. I will look around and see if I got some instructions with it. I picked it up from a US website, but am sure it is Chinese in origin.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jan 04, 2008, 06:46 PM
USA, OH, Lodi
Joined Nov 2005
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine01
Well expo what you have is not a Hobby Wing unless its a very early early version that I have never seen. I don't know what the black plug is for, doesn't look like it would fit any battery balance plugs. Maybe its a plug that will allow you to run a 400 sized brushed motor, kind of a duel use ESC or it has something to do with the BEC.

Go ahead and give that procedure a try anyway to see if it works, cant hurt!

Jim
Posted a pic earlier today....the black 2 prong plug is the one I'm not sure of.

JIM,

What you said was right on with the throttle settings--except for the beeps--it never did that but after I was done with your instructions---IT WORKED!! Thanks for your detailed post.

I wish it was a brush-brushless esc since I have both motors in my junk collection but I'm going to go with the majority of posters and use it as a jumper when I use 2 cells.

Nobody knows the name of this booger

Maybe they used bad glue on the stickers. Thanks to all for your help. EXPO
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:20 PM
burdick,ks
Joined Feb 2003
171 Posts
Hi Expo

Glad to hear that the procedure worked.

Jim
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:40 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Expo,

I have the black two prong plug jumpered for two cell operation, take it off for three cells. There never was any stickers on it. The instructions may have just been on line where I bought it (and of course I can't remember where I got it, it has been awhile).

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:57 PM
USA, OH, Lodi
Joined Nov 2005
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP
Expo,

I have the black two prong plug jumpered for two cell operation, take it off for three cells. There never was any stickers on it. The instructions may have just been on line where I bought it (and of course I can't remember where I got it, it has been awhile).

Len
Since nobody knows the name lets call it the "Mystery Mouse Controller" in memory of Walt Disney.