SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:08 AM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Discussion
Firefox-100 V2 or Honeybee King V2

I know, I know... it's another "which heli" question...!
But I am hoping to draw on the expertise of someone that may have both of the helicopters I am considering.
In my desire to have a smaller-than-450-size CP... I am considering purchasing either the Firefox-100 V2 or the Honeybee King V2. The Firefox is, of course much smaller than the King.
My question is related to which will be more fun to fly. Is the Firefox-100 stable to fly? Will I spend more time trying to get it set up than actually flying it? Will my CSRC 800mAh 10C batteries fit in the Firefox?
There is the issue of parts compatibility with my Belt-CP... but I really like the look and small size of the Firefox. But if it's not that much fun to fly...
I would appreciate any advice/insight.
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:26 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I can not in rec the firefox.. the walkera 4#3 is a better flyer than that.

Are you looking for indoor flying? If so.. the cheap solution is the walkera 4#3.. the expensive solution is gaui 100 or 200 sizes.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:37 AM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
I can not in rec the firefox.. the walkera 4#3 is a better flyer than that.

Are you looking for indoor flying? If so.. the cheap solution is the walkera 4#3.. the expensive solution is gaui 100 or 200 sizes.
This is the helicopter I am talking about:
http://www.cy-model.com/product_info...products_id=59
I can't imagine the walkera 4#3 flying better than a CP belt-driven heli...
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:48 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I've got both currently. The firefox itself is not very different at all from the original Gaui EP-100. It shares the same problems but does have a few upgrades from the gaui version like better ball links. The head is rediculously sloppy and so is the tail which lends itself to not being very precise. Servo choice is a big deal with this small of a heli. The stock Pino (for gaui) and ELE servos are both crap and really should not be used. BMS-303BB servos are the better servo but they are still kinda crap. Apparently there are a few newer servos on the market that are much better but they are expensive.

Unless you want a challenge I would not recommend the ELE or EP-100.

The King has several advantages over the ele just in the fact that it's a tad bigger. You can put much better servos in so the heli is a lot more precise there. The stock head has a lot less slop than the ele as well. It has it's own share of issues but the king is the better flier of the 2. My king V2 has required a lot of work to get flying right as it came from the factory improperly put together. Luckily I had a lot of experience with the V1 as well.

The king also has better power choices and easier battery placement than the firefox. I have to sling my battery under the skids on the firefox as the battery area is for really tiny packs. The king has taken my packs from 1300-1700mAh with no issues. The stock king motor is crap and should be thrown away from the get go though and should be replaced with one of the brushless alternatives. The stock firefox motor is ok for flying around in a sport manner.

Oh and the plastic blades that come with the firefox must be replaced with the wood blades for good flight. The plastics are bad bad bad.

Both helis lack in quality as compared to the more expensive 450 size helis. Expect cheap from both.

Just my 2 cents.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jan 03, 2008, 01:13 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I have owned and flown the FF v2 and still own a king v2.. unless your goal is to fly indoors.. stick with the 450s.

I personally don't like the king v2 as much as belt cp..

The walkera 4#3 would be a better indoor heli than the FF V2.. bank on it!
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:03 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
for indoor flying the 4#3 is the one to get but it is very fragile.
the king v2 is a big heli and way way too dangerous to fly indoors. it could very seriously hurt someone.the firefox is really crappy.the mini zoom pro v2 is very nice as the gaui hurrcane 200. the minizoom and hurricane have very high rpm head speeds and wouldn't be too safe indoors. only in a gym.
my 2 cents as well. i owne all of these heli's.
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:20 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I decided to buy the new Compy 300 FP BD. I guess I was looking for something that was as stress-free to fly as the FP, but with a belt-driven tail. So... I got an FP with a belt-driven tail...
Cool thing about the Compy kit is that I can put a CP head and another servo on there and turn it into a CP. That's pretty sweet!
Closed Thread