HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:06 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Scott, The Wendigo is 1:16 scale. To get it up to 1:12 you'll need to enlatge the plans 135% for an overal length of about 35". Sounds like a good size.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:49 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Scott, The Wendigo is 1:16 scale. To get it up to 1:12 you'll need to enlatge the plans 135% for an overal length of about 35". Sounds like a good size.

PAT
If I order the plans and short kit from you, can your laser cutter source simply cut the short kit parts at a larger scale? I didn't know how that was done or if they can do that easily.

Actually, I think the G.I. Joe's are 12" tall. So, they would be 1:6 scale, right? That might be getting too big for a transportable model.

I do like working in 1:12 because that's the scale of doll house miniatures. I've found several neat little goodies for my Midwest Lobsterboat in the doll house aisle at the hobby shop.

Thanks for your prompt response!

Scott
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:08 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Scott, There are those too. I have a couple of GI Joe type figures here that are about 5.5" tall. To go to 1:6 scale you end up with a hull length of 70".

As to laser cutting an enlarger model, the limitation comes in wood size. The parts are cut on 12 X 24 sheets of light ply -- and they're full, so the enlarged parts would have to be re-nested to fit that size sheet. Another major factor in enlarging a model more than 2 1/2 X is that the frame spacing gets way to wide, so will need to loft a new frame between the existing ones or the spacing between the frames might become to great to maintain the structural integrity.

Meanwhile, a nearly 6' Wendigo will be a mighty impressive sight on the water.

PAT
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:47 AM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
Thanks for the help Pat. I can cut all those formers on my jigsaw but, laser cut would sure make for an easy, accurate start on this model. Decisions, decisions....

{:>)
Old May 22, 2009, 04:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
The plans and short kit have arrived and look great. Its all I can do to finish the project I'm working on (a Midwest Liberty Tug) and not start this one! The short kit is very well cut out.

I would still like to make a larger version, but I think I will build the one just the size you did with your short kit first. Then, if I really like it, I'll go larger.

Thanks for a nice design Pat!

Scott
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:44 PM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
Finally got my Midwest Liberty Tug completed this weekend Pat. So, now, I have to do a few small home projects I've been putting off, but then I can get started on the Wendigo!

Here's the Midwest Tug build thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post12375040
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
Finally getting around to the Wendigo. I built a Stevens Aero Waterboard for our fun run, but now its time to get started with this project. I haven't found Sintra locally yet, but I guess many sign shops carry it. So, I'll try one of those. I did find this really helpful source on the material: http://www.solarbotics.net/starting/...07_sintra.html

It says you can heat and form it easily too! Neat!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:36 AM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
Here's the build thread on the Waterboard if you are interested. Very cool little zoom machine!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post13970938
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:20 PM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
This is the first of my designs to incorperate Sintra (expanded PVC plastic) for skinning the hull -- and I guarentee it won't be the last. 1.2 MM sheet was used for the sides, bottom anbd deck.

It all starts on the bottom. The lower skins are cut to shape, trimmed and fitted, then glued in place.
Pat, I've finally located some Sintra in Indianapolis. Well, its not like it took me months. What I mean to say is that its on my priority list now!

Anyway, the best I could do was 2MM material. I also got some 4MM. Freebies from friends of mine at my local sign shop!

Do you think the 2MM is useable in the areas where you used 1.2MM? I will adjust accordingly for the thickness of course.

Hope so.

Scott
Last edited by HelloScott; Feb 02, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:16 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Scott, I don't think the slightly thicker material will be a problem at all. Using Sintra as a major component it builds light enough to need balast anyway, so i'd say no harm, no foul.

PAT
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:37 AM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
What method did you use primarily to cut your Sintra material? Score and break it? Cut through? Or jigsaw? I have a nice fine blade jig saw, but that won't work well for anything other than curves of course. Seems like straight lines would be best to score.

The windows on the cabin are my biggest concern. They will have to be done very carefully to line up with the laser cut frames.

I got the main frame completed last night.

Thanks Pat. I'll try not to wear you out on questions.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:39 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
HelloScot, I use different methods to cut Sintra ranging from the bad saw and scroll saw to X-Acto knives and wood chissels. The stuff reminds me of the texture of the Ivory bar soap we used to carve stuff from in the Cub Scouts. Generally speaking, it's really easy to work with.

PAT
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:22 PM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
I'm a five-year Cub Scout leader, so I know just what you mean about carving soap Pat! We did that too. They were supposed to create bears. But most of them turned out to look like alien cockroaches!

I got started with the frames last night.

Here's a photo of the Sintra I was given too. The narrow sheet is 3mm. The more square one is 2mm. Plenty to do some building with.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
987 Posts
I left work a little early today. We are getting slammed with snow tonight! But, I'm in my comfy clothes in my workshop...snow baby, snow!

I have the frame ready for the bottom sheeting now. Hope to get to that later this evening. The frame is really quite stout even without the sheeting. I twisted it just a little and CA'd the joints one last time to get it nice and straight. it was just slightly off, maybe 1/8" front to back. Now its perfect.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:12 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,584 Posts
Looking good.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat