SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:34 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Build Log
Dive Boat Wendigo

The oppertunity came up awhile back to design a model of a working Scuba Dive boat based in Ontario. The Wendigo is 35' 3" with a 122" beam and a 42" dive platform on the stern.

It's a simple craft with a large cabin, and will be a great design to work up in balsa, light ply and Sintra (expanded PVC) plastic. There's enough deck detail to keep it interesting, but simple enough to work up easily.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:39 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Pat, that looks to be a very interesting subject. Any idea of what its original purpose was, or is it specifically designed as a dive boat?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:41 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Getting Started

Construction begins with the keel. The basic assembly is of 1/8" lite ply with balsa caps on both sides to house the stuffing box. The keel is assembled and the caps gouged out to accomodate the bearing tube and the whole assembly glued together. Then once the keel is assembled, the frames are aligned and glued in place.

PAST
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:54 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
that looks to be a very interesting subject. Any idea of what its original purpose was, or is it specifically designed as a dive boat?

Kap, That's a good question, I'll see what I can find out.

PAT
Old Jan 03, 2008, 12:38 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,624 Posts
Pat, What happened to the Lyman build? I'm sure several people are waiting for the next installment.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jan 03, 2008, 01:19 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
420, Progress is being made on the Lyman, still adding planks a couple at a time. I was going to update the thread this morning and didn't get there. Will do it right now.

PAT
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:35 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
nice looking boat for commercial use...(where is the stand-by diver, having coffee down below?) should be a good build.
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:40 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,476 Posts
You can't build two boats at once...
...Oh wait, I do that all the time...
Never mind,...

Are you releasing a plan set later?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:14 PM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
574 Posts
where did you get the wood laser cut????
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:46 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
Lasers-
Pat T. may have some connections! But there are plenty of small shops around that will cut to your plans (paper or CAD).
I've used:
http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/laser.html
http://www.laserartco.com/

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:07 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
I'm betting Manzano Laser!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 06, 2008, 10:27 PM
New Milford, CT
Joined Sep 2003
38 Posts
Hey Pat, I am pleased you are posting the build along here on the forum for the new dive boat. My family and I have been diving in Kingston Ontario for several years and are very lucky to know Mark "Tizzer" Tisdale who runs the boat for us each August! I emailed Tizzer and here's what he had to say about the history of the boat!

"As for the Windego, I just call Steve the boat owner, and he said (to the best of his knowledge,)the boat was built in the 60s for the Ministry of lands and forest and worked in the Manitoulin island (Northern Ontario) area as a survey boat etc... It originally had a wood cabin about half the size as the current steel cabin."

Steve Alford "KingDive Marine Group" purchased it in the early 90s and converted the boat into a Dive/Marine Salvage work boat. The Cabin was designed and built with the help of Steve's friends at Metalcraft Marine. They build some very cool Fireboats for places like Miami-Dade County in Florida, Annapolis, Portsmouth Virginia, Seattle, etc.) Check out there web site.
http://www.metalcraftmarine.com/html/firestorm_50.html
Gerryy is offline Find More Posts by Gerryy
Old Jan 06, 2008, 10:55 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Gerry, Thanks much for the "history lesson". It's always more fun to work up a project when you know something about it.

Umi, Only 2 ??? At the moment I have 4 boats going, and a couple airplanes. Don't ask me how it happens that there are so many projects in the works all at the same time, it just goes that way sometimes. The design is being worked up for publication, so yes, plans will be available once it's "gone public".

Big, The laser cutting was done at Manzano Laser. Charlie does all my laser cutting, and does a beautiful job of it too boot.

Update: Much progress was made today. Since the temperature and the winds were both hovering around 40, interupted only by massive rain squawls, it was a very productive building day. At the moment, the hull is about ready for paint, and the equipment is all in. As it turns out, because 1.2 MM Sintra is being used as the main "skinning material", this is really going to be an easy model to build. Meanwhile, I'll work up the photos and post up a blow-by-blow in the morning.

PAT
Old Jan 06, 2008, 11:02 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Sounds great, Pat! It has been great building weather here too (when we've had electricity! )
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded