HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogly
This was in response to someone earler who wrote that e-flight should send there 1St planes to flordia cause they have better weather and can get info back faster
have you been on this thread??
Its back a few pages
Thank you for the explanation! I was L-O-S-T.... Most of the Horizon branded planes do go to Florida already, I think MustangAce17 buys every new one that comes out!

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
Planes, need more planes
United States, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Feb 2006
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
I had an Eagle 63 a long time back. Flew it a lot before going to floats. Glad I did because it is a little different animal flying off water, and you want to be comfortable with the plane. With your experience, it probably wouldn't be a problem though. As for me, I am going to speed a couple of months with fixed gear, then go floats this summer.

Watch the CG with a 9 oz motor as John said he was nose heavy with the Power 32 which is a 7 oz motor.

How are you getting your speed? RPM? Remember there is a slip effect so you don't get the top speed. I think it is about 80% to 90%, but I can't remember the factor exactly.

The stats came from BP Hobbies web site: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...27&pid=V736362
flyguide7 is offline Find More Posts by flyguide7
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,945 Posts
Ed, did you paint the front of the scoops with flat black? They look like holes!
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:01 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Got video ? ? ? ? ? Even a flight report would do!
Maybe people are having trouble putting it together?
Glen
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:07 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguide7
I just tore into my box and checked out all the parts, awesome! I currently have three planes on the board, GWS P-38, Nitro planes Bobcat, and a hangar 9 Spitfire. But I am going to have to bump this one up to the top of the list. I do have a couple of questions though.

Question 1. Should I fly this with out floats first prior to adding floats? I live on the water and I bought this plane specifically for the water. I just have 0 experience flying anything with floats. It should be one of the easier planes in my fleet to fly (Hangar 9 Corsair, funtana 50x, katana MD, extra 300 and a handfull of pusher jets and edfs).

Question 2. I have a BP 3520-7 motor which weighs in at 9.3 oz. with prop adapter and mount. It puts out 610watts with an 14 X 8 prop w/ a pitch speed of 47 mph at about 47 amps. Is this system too heavy? Too slow?

A prop change to a 13 x 10 should get a pitch speed of 62.5 but that seems a little fast for this type airframe.

So fellas waddaya tink?

I would really appreciated your input / advice.

Thanks in advance
My respnse to question 1 would be Yes, fly it on wheels first. I'm sure the Beaver is going to be a joy to fly. A rough landing on wheels will get you a few turf burns but a rough landing on floats will get you upside down in the water and likely a very damaged plane and electronics. You want to get to know the plane a bit before float flying.
I also live on the water and have a couple of water birds now but I will be flying the Beaver on wheels first....just to get a feel for it.

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:11 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oewilson@acsal
Spend a lot my summer in the Yukon. Blue sky,blue water and Blue beer.eh
Ahhhhh, life is good eh.

Cheers,
Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:21 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
Ed, did you paint the front of the scoops with flat black? They look like holes!
They are holes. I painted the inside of the scoops, inside of the cowl and the firewall flat black to hide everything to make it more realistic.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Nice Very Nice
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:28 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Tks

Ed
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:13 AM
North Pole Ak
Joined Oct 2007
305 Posts
K.I.S.S
Mounted the Esc on firewall.
Attached the small hardwood blocks that came for the cabin floor to firewall.Got rid of Ken.
Screwed the cowl to the blocks.
It gives quick install/removal of cowl to gain excess to the motor/esc.
Battery pack is in the cabin.Lots of room to move pack for proper c/g.
Lower battery compartment is a natural for a camera. Will replace the hatch with clear Lexan.
4" Du-Bro Big wheels,2" tail wheel.
2s lipo with regulator for receiver
TP 2915-5, 5s1p A-123 13x8 Xore
Bench cleaner.
oewilson@acsal is online now Find More Posts by oewilson@acsal
Last edited by oewilson@acsal; Mar 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:35 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oewilson@acsal
K.I.S.S
Mounted the Esc on firewall.
Attached the small hardwood blocks that came for the cabin floor to firewall.Got rid of Ken.
Screwed the cowl to the blocks.
It gives quick install/removal of cowl to gain excess to the motor/esc.
Battery pack is in the cabin.Lots of room to move pack for proper c/g.
Lower battery compartment is a natural for a camera. Will replace the hatch with clear Lexan.
5" Du-Bro Big wheels,2" tail wheel.
2s lipo with regulator for receiver
TP 2915-5, 5s1p A-123 13x8 Xore
Bench cleaner.
I want pictures of those wheels on that plane.

I'm running the 6" Dubro Big Wheels on a 1/4 scale Husky. They are HEAVY wheels compared to foam.

Once again, I want pics.

Karl
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
Planes, need more planes
United States, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Feb 2006
870 Posts
3 bladed prop

I am also considering a 3 bladed prop primarily for the look. Is there any power advantage going three blade over two?
flyguide7 is offline Find More Posts by flyguide7
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,319 Posts
Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguide7
I am also considering a 3 bladed prop primarily for the look. Is there any power advantage going three blade over two?
3-blade props are generally less efficient than 2-blade props. They are mainly used for ground clearance issues and scale appearance.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:43 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k
I want pictures of those wheels on that plane.

I'm running the 6" Dubro Big Wheels on a 1/4 scale Husky. They are HEAVY wheels compared to foam.

Once again, I want pics.

Karl
You forgot to say "please" Karl.

I'm new to larger planes and I would like others to comment on larger wheels. I have some Trexlers and Dubro wheels. Are the stock wheels large enough to take off and land on grass? I see Dubro has some wheels that are rubber wheels inflated with air but without the air inlet to pump it up.

Has anyone painted the rims white like many of the actual Beaver photos show?

Another question. Did any "real" Beavers use wood props? Xoar makes electric wood props available from 3D Hobby Shop here:

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2115

I welcome your ideas,

Ed
Last edited by no stick; Mar 22, 2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:15 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Okay, I'm sorry.

Please may I see some pictures of your beaver with the 5" Du-Bro big wheels.

I am of course assuming that these are the ones you are talking about

http://www.dubro.com/catalog/pages/h...-37%20copy.htm

Looking at the weights, you can see why I am amazed that they would be a choice on a plane this size. My Husky at 20 lbs really doesn't notice 321 grams/wheel (6"). The beaver is a lot smaller and lighter, so 235 grams/wheel is a larger percentage of the total airframe weight.

Karl
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k