HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:32 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Give it time and keep a look out, you just might be suprised with the up coming year.
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
These are the comments I like to read.
Me too! Thanks John, hope springs eternal!
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:59 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Power Question John

First of all John the new Beaver is a "must have" plane for me...great job.

When I build one up I will be going with the "high power setup" and four cell lipos but I notice that the recommended cell count for the power 32 is 3 as stated here.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=EFLM4032A

You do state in the manual that the power 32 will run fine on 4 cells (correctly proped of course).....please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:02 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
If the future offerings have the details like the hidden control horns as on the beaver, I may need to start saving for some purchases.

A chimpmunk or the WWII planes done like that...ouch ... my wallet hurts just thinking about it.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:09 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrash
First of all John the new Beaver is a "must have" plane for me...great job.

When I build one up I will be going with the "high power setup" and four cell lipos but I notice that the recommended cell count for the power 32 is 3 as stated here.

You do state in the manual that the power 32 will run fine on 4 cells (correctly proped of course).....please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Not to step in for Mr. Redman, but if you look at the spec sheet with the power 32 ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...structions.pdf ) it shows uses with 3s and 4s. Their spec chart also shows 3s or 4s ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo..._Motors_Ad.pdf )

Hope this helped.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:19 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
Not to step in for Mr. Redman, but if you look at the spec sheet with the power 32 ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...structions.pdf ) it shows uses with 3s and 4s. Their spec chart also shows 3s or 4s ( http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo..._Motors_Ad.pdf )

Hope this helped.
Thanks P-51C, the online shop that I use must have incorrect info.

Thanks,
Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:23 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Thanks P-51C. You are correct.

I am not sure where this online shop came up with these specs, but yes it can run on 4S all day long.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Jan 04, 2008, 07:18 PM
tulsa, ok
Joined Nov 2004
96 Posts
John, you just can't please 'em! I know for a fact that I couldn't build that airplane from scratch, finished and ready for equipment install for less than $200.00. And that is working for myself. If I had to make a profit at it, forget about it! If I have to shorten the gear slightly and fabricate new fairings to satisfy my sense of "scale" then at least that gives me a leg to stand on when I call myself a model builder. That kind of detail work it much easier to contemplate when someone else has already done the lions share.
One question, did you happen to use the scale type airfoil on this bird? One of the reasons the Beavers wing looks to be short on area is because DeHavilland used a high lift, undercambered airfoil specifically for lots of lift at relatively low airspeeds. Would be neat to see if it translated well to models. Great work, John.
jungmann1 is offline Find More Posts by jungmann1
Old Jan 04, 2008, 07:39 PM
Joined Mar 2007
23 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how would this fly and compare to the e-flite J3 piper cub, with and without floats.

Thanks.
rgillies is offline Find More Posts by rgillies
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:54 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgillies
Just out of curiosity, how would this fly and compare to the e-flite J3 piper cub, with and without floats.

Thanks.
It would cost exactly 2 MN-48 servos more and a 20A higher ESC. The E-Flite J3 (which I have and love!) takes 4 servos, a Power 25 and a 40A ESC and 3s lipo - same as the wheeled Beaver, except the Beav recommends a 60A ESC.

The Float version would be more still, an extra $10 for the Power 32 over the Power 25, and another $40 for the 4s over the 3s lipo... plus the cost of floats.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:56 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Mr. Redman, when do you think you'll have flying footage posted somewhere?
Thanks,
Chris
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:37 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again. One of my avorite models. Can't wait. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jan 05, 2008, 09:38 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Hey guys,

First off we did not use the scale airfoils, we use one that we felt would be fine for the model and still make it very easy to construct in mass production. Using the scale airfoils would have been a mess in mass production was out original thoughts.

The plane will fly slower than the Cub with flaps up or down. All in all you could fly our J-3 Cub on our Power 15 we came to realize later down the road, and would need the 25 for float flying.

The reason for recommending the 60 amp ESC is if some start with the Power 25 and then later on want to climb on the float program, they only neeed buy a new motor, and not a new ESC as well. The difference in price is only $10 between the two.

Winter has been pretty tough here this year and we still have not been able to get any float video footage. I will say that when flying off of floats on a still to nearly still lake, if you take off with full flaps, you just apply power and watch, she will lift off in about 125 feet on her own without any elevator input. If you do not use flaps for take off then you need a small amount of up elevator to break her loose from the water. With half flaps, she lifts off with just a slight hint of up elevator. Descending in with full flaps, the approach is slow and easy. This one blows the Cub away on floats, hands down.

For those that might wonder, the reason we do not video some of hte first flights is because the trim schemes are routinely not complete as we are tweaking and adjusting to ensure the best look and apperance both in the air and on the ground. Don't want to video the worng plane if you know what I mean. As soon as we have a pond or lake where the water moves (everything is froxen over right now) we will get out and get some footage for you guys.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:39 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,155 Posts
John, You Horizion Guys are doing a wonderful job!!!!!!!!! We are absolutley living in one
of the best times in our great hobby. I have been building for over thirty years and I can not believe the scale airframes that Horizion has put out in the last several months.
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Hey guys,

First off we did not use the scale airfoils, we use one that we felt would be fine for the model and still make it very easy to construct in mass production. Using the scale airfoils would have been a mess in mass production was out original thoughts.

The plane will fly slower than the Cub with flaps up or down. All in all you could fly our J-3 Cub on our Power 15 we came to realize later down the road, and would need the 25 for float flying.

The reason for recommending the 60 amp ESC is if some start with the Power 25 and then later on want to climb on the float program, they only neeed buy a new motor, and not a new ESC as well. The difference in price is only $10 between the two.

Winter has been pretty tough here this year and we still have not been able to get any float video footage. I will say that when flying off of floats on a still to nearly still lake, if you take off with full flaps, you just apply power and watch, she will lift off in about 125 feet on her own without any elevator input. If you do not use flaps for take off then you need a small amount of up elevator to break her loose from the water. With half flaps, she lifts off with just a slight hint of up elevator. Descending in with full flaps, the approach is slow and easy. This one blows the Cub away on floats, hands down.

For those that might wonder, the reason we do not video some of hte first flights is because the trim schemes are routinely not complete as we are tweaking and adjusting to ensure the best look and apperance both in the air and on the ground. Don't want to video the worng plane if you know what I mean. As soon as we have a pond or lake where the water moves (everything is froxen over right now) we will get out and get some footage for you guys.

John
Thanks for all the responses to our questions. I can only image how tiring it must be to routinely have to type up this length of a response. Thanks again.
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old Jan 05, 2008, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,497 Posts
We are absolutley living in one
of the best times in our great hobby. I have been building for over thirty years and I can not believe the scale airframes that Horizion has put out in the last several months.

And having vendor support to the level that John and others provide, right here, online and immediate?! It is the icing on the cake.

I keep thinking back to my first round in RC, back in the 80-90s ..."build thread"?! What the heck is that?

So you have a question about a plane or a power system ... back then, where would you go for info? You had better have a club pro handy or call or write a letter to a manufacturer?

Man, it is SO great this time around that I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member