HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:47 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Servos

Thanks to all who chimed in with your servo info. I think I'll go with the HS225's.

Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:51 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Is anybody thinking of making this into a glow conversion?
Eeeeewwwwwww!
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:27 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
Boy, am I ever glad I started on the wing! Got my servos mounted on the covers and was going to start on installing them in the wing panels. Got out the right panel out of the bag and laid it on my building table for some trial fitting. Decided to see if the control surfaces lined up at neutral. Nope! The flap is ~3/8" below the aileron where they meet, when each is aligned with the TE of the wing at root and tip respectively. It turns out after measurements were made that the wing panel is twisted; more than can be taken out by reheating the covering and twisting it back the other way. Checked the left panel and it's OK. Flap and aileron line up within a 32nd" or so.

I'll be on the 'phone to Horizon CS in the morning. Sure hope they have some replacement wing panels.

Suggest everyone check this out on their Beaver before they do a bunch of work on the wing.

Meanwhile, reckon I'll start on the tail. CR

Mine is tweeked on one side also. Then when I took the tail out of the plastic the very top part (the red part) broke off
Glen
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:00 AM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Build Tip

Just a note guys, If your going to tighten up the covering on the wings with a heat gun be very careful not to pass the heat gun over the aileron/flap/rudder/elev material.....it does not like heat at all. Not sure what it is but it will distort real fast with very little heat.
Don't ask me how I found this out.

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Mar 18, 2008, 08:00 AM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
458 Posts
Does anyone know who offers scale details for planes this size?

Sorry to hear about the covering. Always sucks to be the first to find these things out, but thank you for passing the info along.
I know the feeling, when straightening out my wing I dropped the iron on to the wing (bottom side). It made a "clean" hole that I was able to tape but will need to be patched at some point.
Flying glass is online now Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:14 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying glass
Does anyone know who offers scale details for planes this size?

Sorry to hear about the covering. Always sucks to be the first to find these things out, but thank you for passing the info along.
I know the feeling, when straightening out my wing I dropped the iron on to the wing (bottom side). It made a "clean" hole that I was able to tape but will need to be patched at some point.
Right after I teased Charlie about his dremel, I dropped mine (dremel) slap into the bottom of the wing. Thank goodness they had that extra covering.Did the seam, the repair and, still some left.
Guess I bought that bad karma by teasing Charlie.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Hack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare
Just don't cut thru a spar with your dremel Charlie.
Hack, hack! LOL

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about this. The material on the flight surfaces is a very thin ABS plastic to replicate the corugated flight surfaces.

Replacement parts should be in stock in the next couple of weeks.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about this. The material on the flight surfaces is a very thin ABS plastic to replicate the corugated flight surfaces.

John
John,

I had some breakage of several of these piece at one Flap area and aileron but, did NOT complain as I was just too happy to receive my model, period.

I will be fixing it with a thin material that I have lying around and I don't think it will be that noticeable.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Improvement tip. Removing and reattaching the wing strut from the fuselage will eventually cause the 3/8 inch sheet metal screws to be stripped. It was a PITA but I installed 4-40 blind nuts and use 1/2 inch 4-40 socket head screws to install the strut to the fuse. Now they will last a plane lifetime or until my next "hack".

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Hey Mike,

John
Thanks John, the damage I did was very minor and on the underside of one flap...I caught myself b4 I did any serious damage.
I'm pretty much finished my build and I must say (yet again) that you guys did a fine job on this ARF.

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
I'm at a stand still till they send a new rutter control horn. I got two tail wheel contol horns. They are not interchangable as the set screw is on the wrong side. They will Fed EX one to in a few days. No biggy as the weather sucks here all week.
I decided to excange my 25 motor for a 32 as I may run floats someday and the extra power will be nice anyways.
Glen
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:25 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Let's see some picts I have had mine sitting @ home for 2 weeks ( I feel bad sense some people can't even get them) and no time to start I would love to see some picts of this build
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Crash Tester
I'm at a stand still till they send a new rutter control horn. I got two tail wheel contol horns. They are not interchangable as the set screw is on the wrong side. They will Fed EX one to in a few days. No biggy as the weather sucks here all week.
I decided to excange my 25 motor for a 32 as I may run floats someday and the extra power will be nice anyways.
Glen
Although it was contrary to the instructions, I just flipped mine over. Doesn't appear to adversly affect any movement.Hope it doesn't once airborne. Mr. Redman, feel free to advise us here sir.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 18, 2008, 05:13 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare
Although it was contrary to the instructions, I just flipped mine over. Doesn't appear to adversly affect any movement.Hope it doesn't once airborne. Mr. Redman, feel free to advise us here sir.
I did that too, it didn't look like it lined up right. Once you glue it up it might not be easy to change. The tail wheel mounts are pre installed and will take some landing abuse so I didn't want to remove it.

Also if you check to manual it says they are not interchangeable I'm not sure if this is just because of the set screw or if it is more of an alignment issue.
Glen