Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:20 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogly
well I bought a beaver and i'm planing on running this motor with 2 2250mah in parrellel do you think this will fit the bill or is it to big
Model: TR42-50A
Max efficiency :38A
Max Load : 43A
Kv : 700
Power: 720W
Weight : 195gr
Pull/Thrust : 900~2100gr
Prop size: 11x5.5 or 12x8
Voltage Range: 9~15v
No Load Current : 3.4A
Shaft: 5mm
Resistance: 0.0327ohms
Max Efficiency: 82%
Power equivalent : .30 to .40 glow engine

Manufacturer recommends 11 x 5.5 or 12 x 8 props.
Ideal for planes up to 5lbs (1~21.kg) in weight.
Mount holes are 25mm apart and take 3mm screws.
Similar to E-flight Power 32
I don't have a lot of experience with different motors. Why did you choose this one over the E-flite 32? How does it differ?

Thanks, Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:30 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
If I may comment, the biggest difference is the price, E-Flite Power 32 is $90.00 the TR42-50A is $30.00. I am an E-Flite fan and most of my planes and motors are E-Flite. Club members at the local flying field are using products from hobbycity.com with success. I am starting to look at the lower cost products but with brand name performance to stretch my hobby dollars.

Cheers,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:09 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,255 Posts
Motor for my Beaver

I have to second that last comment. I thought about usng the E-flite Power 32 but I have had good luck with motors from HobbyCity. I also ordered the TR 42-50A at 1/3 the price of the Power 32. I don't want to start a war but they are both probably made in china (or over there somewhere). I will post a report when I get the plane in the air.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:25 AM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
If anyone would like to try a great motor, go to Valuehobby.com and take a look at the Emaxx 2832 motor. I have been using these motors with great success. They are shipped from IL.thru a vendor there. I just wish they had a 4S battery pack availible. the Lipo batteries are great as well as the speed controls. You don't have to break the bank to get good motors, ESC and lipos. check it out!!!
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:01 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50
If anyone would like to try a great motor, go to Valuehobby.com and take a look at the Emaxx 2832 motor. I have been using these motors with great success. They are shipped from IL.thru a vendor there. I just wish they had a 4S battery pack availible. the Lipo batteries are great as well as the speed controls. You don't have to break the bank to get good motors, ESC and lipos. check it out!!!
Dang, I needed this tip a week agp. Thanks Falconjet! HU-25?
As a long believer in the too good to be true theory, obviously, I'm skeptical. Would you elaborate on "great success"? How long and in what applications?
The manf.claims the 2832 can be used on up to 4kg/8.8lbs...Hmmmm.

I'd/ we'd be much obliged if you'd share more detail. Thanks Falcon
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:19 AM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
I have been using two of their motors in a Spitfire and Yak-54 by Greatplanes electrifly. I have over 100 flights on both and varies types of flying and have not had a issue. I recently put the spitfire in a lake and th model was destroyed but the motor and esc are still working great after I dried them out. I have used ESC in the past that got wet and they fried instantly. The only one I have had not fry with water contact are the Castle Creation ESC adn now this one. The only thing you need with the Emaxx ESC is a programming card. the motor on the spifire is a 1100KV motor with a 9*6 Prop. I runs very fast around 65-70 moh. Motor is still strong. I have personnel never tried the 2832, but if is anything like the other two this motor is a true winner. shipping is fast also If I did not already have a Power 32 eflite motor standing by for my Beaver I would definately be buying the BL2832 motor at 1/3 the price!!
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:56 AM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Big Fat Four Cells

Well, my fat 4000mah four cells would not go into the stock battery box. I made this simple and quick mod to get'm in there. I just cut the existing tray and dropped it down till it rests on the lumber below it....epoxy it there and add a few basswood supports and she's solid.

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Last edited by nocrash; Mar 17, 2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:36 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
nocrash, I hope yours is nose heavy. It doesn't look like you can move your battery forward into the cowl area.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50
I have been using two of their motors in a Spitfire and Yak-54 by Greatplanes electrifly. I have over 100 flights on both and varies types of flying and have not had a issue. I recently put the spitfire in a lake and th model was destroyed but the motor and esc are still working great after I dried them out. I have used ESC in the past that got wet and they fried instantly. The only one I have had not fry with water contact are the Castle Creation ESC adn now this one. The only thing you need with the Emaxx ESC is a programming card. the motor on the spifire is a 1100KV motor with a 9*6 Prop. I runs very fast around 65-70 moh. Motor is still strong. I have personnel never tried the 2832, but if is anything like the other two this motor is a true winner. shipping is fast also If I did not already have a Power 32 eflite motor standing by for my Beaver I would definately be buying the BL2832 motor at 1/3 the price!!
Thanks Falconjet. For the price it cant hurt to try. Next time I shall.
For waterproffing an esc, I'm trying some stuff from true value called corrosionx. I've seen where folks swear by it.Keep it away from servos and electric tape though.
Thanks again.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:19 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
nocrash: That gives me hope that some a123 cells could be fit into this plane.

That's the only thing holding me back from buying it.
I can't justify buying any more Li-po packs after using the a123's

Karl
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:43 AM
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no stick
nocrash, I hope yours is nose heavy. It doesn't look like you can move your battery forward into the cowl area.

Ed
I'll find out soon enough Ed but I'm guessing I'll have to move the four cell back, not forward. Did anyone out there that's balanced there plane with 3 cells have to push the battery up into the cowl area?

Mike
Last edited by nocrash; Mar 16, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k
nocrash: That gives me hope that some a123 cells could be fit into this plane.

That's the only thing holding me back from buying it.
I can't justify buying any more Li-po packs after using the a123's

Karl
I don't think you'll have a problem Karl, there's lots of room in the battery area after cutting out the stock battery tray....lots of room to work in there also.
Now get out there and buy one.

Mike
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Motor tips

Thanks for the info on the motors, guys. Very helpful.

Does anyone know what a scale size prop for this plane would be?

Also, note that the mfgr states 6.2 lbs with floats. and planes always come out heavier than the mfgr says.
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrash
I don't think you'll have a problem Karl, there's lots of room in the battery area after cutting out the stock battery tray....lots of room to work in there also.
Now get out there and buy one.

Mike

I hope to fly mine with the A123 set up also, but for now I'll fly with the 3300 18.5V Thunder power EX 22C cont/ 50C burst. The guy a the hobby shop said I should get 15 min or more out of it.
Will this Battery work in my Electrastar? Is this a 5 cell battery? it says charge as 5 cell or may cause fire.

I haven't started working on my Beaver yet, is this a good plane for a newbie to put together?

Glen
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:37 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,457 Posts
If you Have a Castle speed control they will waterproof it for you, I think about $7.00 plus shipping

Getting a speed control wet is bad and will the magicsmoke out

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C