HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:21 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G
We all know you should respect your Beaver.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Last month, I finished up an Andrew Jesky Extra 330 (51" span, Electric by Fliton) Hacker motor, on 4s, with Castle ESC. Spectrum ar9000. After waiting weeks for the rain to stop.I crashed it on the maiden flight. Then the wreckage was stolen! I lost everything. (AJ Extra #1 is in the crappy avatar pic to your left) I got a new one and started all over (I hate doing things twice) Put 5 flights on the new one last weekend. I'm finally over it. What Extra 330s are you building. I love the Fliton model. Check out the thread. "andrew jesky fliton extra build" Be warned that it is very long, but has everything you need to know about the plane, and more.

I didn't want to wait till mid April for my Beaver from Horizon, so i cancelled it and bought one from Turbonut on this thread. I received it today, but I have to put some final touches on the Extra first."

I may modify the wing to a "2 piece" design, for transportabilty. I may also add some wheels and front casters to the floats (like I've seen in some photos) Then I can take off and land on pavement, but still fly with those cool floats on. and the Float/wheels add even more character.

Take note that the intake scoop is actually located 180 degrees (radially) from the model photo. It should be on the upper right side of the cowl area.

Better luck with the new Beaver, Gary
The AJ Extra is what is hanging on my wall in the basement now. All I need to do is finish up the elevator and it's done. Very nice plane.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:30 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,264 Posts
Power Setup

I have a strong motor I am using in a 7.5 lb plane (HXT-50-52B). This motor is rated at 480Kv, 50A, and 300g. It is a big motor that I use with a 6S2P 22volt setup and draws over 800 watts with a 12 x 7 3-blade prop.

I plan to use this motor in a 6S2P setup (2 3S1Ps 2200mah in series) with a smaller prop to get about 600 watts in. Is this too much motor for this plane? Any thoughts?
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:32 AM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare
Finished the plane last night. aileron linkages wrong. rudder screw either upside down or directions wrong. No big deal to amend. Other than that, what a beauty!! Congrats Mr. Redman and Thank You.

Stayed up late getting her done so I could maiden this am. Wake up, to find tornadoes!!! In Atlanta?!!!
Hope it aint an omen. All my flights canx today due to woxoh.

Good Luck to all the other maidens occuring today!
I live not to far from you and you know how it was yesterday. Well I went to the field when the rain broke. I set all my throws on the bench at the field. As soon as I took the plane out onto the runway it started raining again.

I just waited about 15 minutes and the rain broke again. That's when I maidened mine. The plane does like to weather vane into the wind. So be mindful of that.

Good luck on yours. Maybe next weekend you can come up to my field and we can fly together.

Joe
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:36 AM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
I have a strong motor I am using in a 7.5 lb plane (HXT-50-52B). This motor is rated at 480Kv, 50A, and 300g. It is a big motor that I use with a 6S2P 22volt setup and draws over 800 watts with a 12 x 7 3-blade prop.

I plan to use this motor in a 6S2P setup (2 3S1Ps 2200mah in series) with a smaller prop to get about 600 watts in. Is this too much motor for this plane? Any thoughts?
Yeah that sounds too heavy. I was using the power 25 and had to push my batteries back a little to get the CG.

The Power 25 weighs about 200G, so you might be able to get away with it.

Joe
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:08 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toslope
I think there are some good slopes to fly at up near where you live. If you have not tried slope flying I would highly recommend it. It is by far the best kind of RC flying. I only fly electrics because I donít have time to get to the good slope sites.
In Acton ( about 20 from me) is a place called Parker Mtn (also called Vincent Hill, I think) It's a mountain ridge top, just wide enough for a dirt road. People slope soar up one side, then down the other. It's an awesome sight. VERY, VERY, FAST and exciting
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milandrah
The AJ Extra is what is hanging on my wall in the basement now. All I need to do is finish up the elevator and it's done. Very nice plane.

Joe
Very cool. I hope you enjoy it. There are some pics of mine on the AJ build thread: AJX#1 - pg 356; AJX#2 - pg 365, 370
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Last edited by Gary G; Mar 15, 2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,854 Posts
I am going to add a little flat black to the front of the two scoops to simulate holes. Easy touch up and makes it look better.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:49 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
For those debating on buying a Beaver, I say go for it. I started work on mine...fixed up the crack in the fuse framing, mounted the motor, ESC touched up screw holes with CA,(and other places that might get damp. I glued the horizontal, and started in on the floats. So far I am very happy with the plane---one thing I really like is how the cowl attaches, no guess work with alignment, just screw on. Once I get my servo's in from the LHS, things should move very quickly.
I'm on the way to my not so local Hobby shop 50 mile drive to get my Beaver. I had one on order at hobby Zone but canceled the order, don't want to wait till April.
Too bad the local Hobby shop here is worthless! I don't know how they stay in business!
Glen
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:09 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,199 Posts
My 4S1Ps Fit!

Finally got the fuse out of the box and trial-fitted my True RC 4-cell 4,000 MAh
battery. I have to slide it to the rear , lower the front and then slide it forward into the "cage" but there's plenty of room for it. Lots of space to move it back and forth to adjust the CG.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:32 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,199 Posts
Assembly Sequence?

So I'm looking at the assembly manual. It wants the LG put on first then the motor and ESC, then the cowl......

I don't like the idea of adding all that weight to the fuse before I have the tail glued on. Methinks I'll do the wing servos first, join the wings and install them, then do the tail. Work on the fuse can wait.

How are you others doing it?

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2002
93 Posts
I went with the landing gear and motor first. I like seeing the motor in it and had very little time to work on it. Can't wait to finish it.

Chris
car4 is offline Find More Posts by car4
Old Mar 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,835 Posts
CR,
I started at the nose and am working my way toward the tail. I used a straight edge and the stab mount is perfectly square. I will install the servos, radio, cockpit etc. before assembling the wing.
Had to go flying with my Aspera today as the weather was so nice
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,835 Posts
Flying stuff put away and back to the building bench. I have the flap servos operating on a Dionysus Servo Rate Reducer. Seeing the flaps go up and down slowly to me seems more realistic.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,429 Posts
Made it back from the hobby shop with my Beaver and everything needed for the 25 motor. Got a good deal on a Thunder Power 3300mAh extreme series.Total: $633.0
Also ordered a Spektrum DX6 with the AR6200 recever.
This is my first ARF so I'll get some help from my friend at the RC club.
Glen
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic

You could do it, but those batteries aren't going to give you much flight time at 600W... The Power 32 with
the recommended 13x6.5 prop on a 4s 4200 pack will give about 5 minutes at WOT... your setup will give about 2.

Now, since you're going to be cruising at less than WOT, YMMV... but I still think it's the wrong setup for this plane.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait