HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,714 Posts
Well I was able to pick mine up to day and I am VERY happy with it! Sadly, I did have some minor shipping damage. My vertical tail have a decent crack in it as does the fuse. The fuse is easily fixable...the tail, well a quick call to Horizon and a new one will be here neaxt week! Gotta love that!!! Thanks E-flite. I'll post some pics when I have it ready to fly.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Sheeeeeeesh Joe, that's not what we wanted to hear. Look at the bright side, your probably the first one in the world to destroy one....bragging rights are yours.

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:58 PM
Arlington, TN
Joined May 2007
20 Posts
Hey, at least you have one to crash. The pre-order from Atlanta Hobby is now back ordered and who knows when it will get here...said it would probably ship out last Monday, then Thursday...now...who knows.

So, congrats on being the first crash victim! It's awesome and sucky all at the same time. <wink>
Millsdo is offline Find More Posts by Millsdo
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsdo
Hey, at least you have one to crash. The pre-order from Atlanta Hobby is now back ordered and who knows when it will get here...said it would probably ship out last Monday, then Thursday...now...who knows.

So, congrats on being the first crash victim! It's very and and sucky all at the same time. <wink>
That's ok. I'll probably have my 2nd one in the air before you get yours up!

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:02 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Joe,
I know how that hurts. Been there, done that myself. You did a real nice job on the plane. I was especially impressed with the painting of your dummy engine. Great that you can get your hands on another so quickly.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:05 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrash
Sheeeeeeesh Joe, that's not what we wanted to hear. Look at the bright side, your probably the first one in the world to destroy one....bragging rights are yours.

Mike
Sorry.....but on the bright side I gave you a lot of info there. Hopefully you won't make the same mistake I did. Just doing my public duty and took one for the team.

The plane flies very scale. Isn't that what you wanted to know?

The big wing looks absolutely huge in the air.

Joe

I'll have my 2nd one up by next Thursday. All men should have 2 Beavers.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:07 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Joe,
I know how that hurts. Been there, done that myself. You did a real nice job on the plane. I was especially impressed with the painting of your dummy engine. Great that you can get your hands on another so quickly.
Gary
Yeah it made me very sick. I put my Extra 300S on hold for this plane. I really love the looks of the Beaver. I just have to get in a different flying mode than I'm used to when flying it.

Joe

Hey John

Is it a defect when the air scoop pops off when you plow into the ground nose first? I think so!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Joe,
I have a question. Did you trim any of the outer diameter on the dummy engine. Mine seems to fit but getting things centered is for me a bit tricky.
Gary
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
Arlington, TN
Joined May 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milandrah
That's ok. I'll probably have my 2nd one in the air before you get yours up!

Joe
At this rate, you could crash 3 and I still wouldn't have one. So much for pre-ordering. LOL.

Still waiting on some video of one...anyone?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Joe,
I have a question. Did you trim any of the outer diameter on the dummy engine. Mine seems to fit but getting things centered is for me a bit tricky.
Gary
No I didn't trim any of the outer part of the ring. Mine lined up with hardly any fuss. Just slip the ring in and then mix up some 5 minute epoxy and spread it around the edge of the ring and onto the fiberglass. I also put my ESC on the firewall right above the motor. The cowl and dummy radial won't fit if you put the ESC on like it is in the manual.

After you put the epoxy on, pop the cowl back on and line it up. then put some tape on to hold it right quick. then you can gently move the dummy radial until it's centered. Easy and quick.

Also make the hole for the prop shaft about the size of a penny.

Joe
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsdo
At this rate, you could crash 3 and I still wouldn't have one. So much for pre-ordering. LOL.

Still waiting on some video of one...anyone?
Watch a video of a real Beaver. That's how it looks.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:51 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Joe,
Thanks a bunch. You make it sound very simple. Getting ready to paint the radial now and will install probably tomorrow when all is dry.
Gary
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:34 PM
Arlington, TN
Joined May 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Watch a video of a real Beaver. That's how it looks.
I have flown real Beavers (around 100 hours)...I want to see the RC version...

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:36 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Milandrah

Quote:
Yeah it made me very sick. I put my Extra 300S on hold for this plane. I really love the looks of the Beaver. I just have to get in a different flying mode than I'm used to when flying it.

Joe

Hey John

Is it a defect when the air scoop pops off when you plow into the ground nose first? I think so!
We all know you should respect your Beaver.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Last month, I finished up an Andrew Jesky Extra 330 (51" span, Electric by Fliton) Hacker motor, on 4s, with Castle ESC. Spectrum ar9000. After waiting weeks for the rain to stop.I crashed it on the maiden flight. Then the wreckage was stolen! I lost everything. (AJ Extra #1 is in the crappy avatar pic to your left) I got a new one and started all over (I hate doing things twice) Put 5 flights on the new one last weekend. I'm finally over it. What Extra 330s are you building. I love the Fliton model. Check out the thread. "andrew jesky fliton extra build" Be warned that it is very long, but has everything you need to know about the plane, and more.

I didn't want to wait till mid April for my Beaver from Horizon, so i cancelled it and bought one from Turbonut on this thread. I received it today, but I have to put some final touches on the Extra first."

I may modify the wing to a "2 piece" design, for transportabilty. I may also add some wheels and front casters to the floats (like I've seen in some photos) Then I can take off and land on pavement, but still fly with those cool floats on. and the Float/wheels add even more character.

Take note that the intake scoop is actually located 180 degrees (radially) from the model photo. It should be on the upper right side of the cowl area.

Better luck with the new Beaver, Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Last edited by Gary G; Mar 15, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:55 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Turbonut

I received my Beaver from you today. It arrived with the outer box undamaged, enough peanuts to half fill my trash can and not a mark on the mfgr's box, great packaging Scott. The quality of the E-flite product seems to be very good, although I haven't examined every part yet.

Thanks. Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right