Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:15 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,831 Posts
You can always remove the tail wheel if desired. Just be careful and not use too much loctite on the screws when installing. While you have the tail piece off tape up the slot so no water can enter.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,849 Posts
Gary, thanks. Sounds like an easy do.

I must say going over my kit that this is a beauty! No wrinkles! Perfect construction! Well thought out and excellent detail!! A+++ I am one happy camper, and a Beaver was not even on my "had to fly" list. It is now.

Steve, I love the OV-10. I am not a big twin fan because of the expense, but this would be an outstanding E-flite P-series.

If John did the OV-10 Platinum from Steve's post with two BL 25s, I would buy it!! But Horizon has to start making some military flat covering!!!
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I fly my 1/6 Cub on floats with the tail wheel on , it is not a problem.
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2002
93 Posts
Gear Struts

I have one gear strut that fit well, and one that the fairing did not fit well. See pictures. I thought someone mentioned that same small issue. What did you do to fix that?

I would go for a OV-10!

Chris
car4 is offline Find More Posts by car4
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:18 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
gear fairing

Several have noted that gap. Im a relative newbie, (1year flying) so I'm gonna leave it be. After a few of my landings, I reckon she'll be flush. Possibly engineered with me in mind.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:33 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Hey guys, it seems a few are having an issue with the fit of the gear struts. So the current question is this: Is it commonly the right gear and strut that has the bad fit, or is it sometimes the left?

Need more pictures.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,831 Posts
John,
Both of my struts have a small bit of clearance with perhaps a bit more on the right side. Not really enough on mine to worry about and will leave a bit of room for the gear to flex if I bounce a bit on landing.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Just finished my Beaver. Still need to set the throws on the control surfaces. If the rain slacks up here, I'll run up to the field and do the maiden.

Link to small video here.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
Registered "e" Flyer
Monterey Park, CA
Joined Dec 2007
496 Posts
OMG I cant wait for tuesday to come so I can start working on mine! I just hope she gets here in perfect condition. More pics please, and remember to take scale pics.
CGReload is offline Find More Posts by CGReload
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,536 Posts
I bought mine yesterday and plan to put her on floats that I'll probably make myself.

I'm too lazy to search back in this already huge forum for float info, anyone kind enough to link from memory relative posts/experiences?

Thanks,
Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Hey Joe, looks great.

John
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:51 PM
Pull up,UP,UP!....to late
Ajax, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Hey guys, it seems a few are having an issue with the fit of the gear struts. So the current question is this: Is it commonly the right gear and strut that has the bad fit, or is it sometimes the left?

Need more pictures.

John
The right side on mine is much worse than the left John...not an issue for me as mine will only be on wheels for a few flights as she'll be moved to the lake for float flying. My right gear is 1/8th of an inch away from the fues at the rear of the gear and snug at the front.

Mike
nocrash is offline Find More Posts by nocrash
Last edited by nocrash; Mar 14, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
420 Posts
The right side on mine is a little worse then the left, I would agree with the others it is not a big deal.
I am going to trim it out just for an appearance factor, but having a bit of give room is not a bad idea either.
I am more concerned about the very stiff control surfaces. I plan on working on them over the weekend, also a bit of binding on the rear elevator linkage.

All in all just a few minor issues to work out, very pleased with the plane.

John is there any chance of getting that great looking decal on the rudder shown on the box?
Flying glass is online now Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:40 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
There should be about .062" clearance between the fairings and the fuselage. Basically about a 1/16" gap. This is for clearance when that not so perfect landing occurs. I did not want the gear fairings blowing out the fuselage sides.

On the stiff control surfaces. Try just flexing the surfaces up and down about 45 degrees for a number of times and see if they loosen up. If this does not seem to help, then if you can check to see if there is a bit of CA wicked between the control surface and flight surface (elevator/stab) and so on. This could be the other probelm. If that is the case, try working some debonder (flash seems to work best here) and clean that up. You should be fine after that.

John
Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Well bad news......I call it the 3D syndrome.

1. Maiden went well. Takes off at about 50% throttle on Power 25 and 3S. Flies just like you think it will. Like a Beaver. Glides a long way with no power and no flaps. Flaps did not seem to cause any pitching when deployed. I did not get to explore this more.

2. 2nd Flight went bad. On take off I gave it too much power/up elevator and I had flaps at half. The plane pitched up and stalled. I recovered from this mistake. But I was heading toward some power lines. This was just seconds after the recovery, so I did not have enough air speed yet. Fed in too much rudder to avoid power lines. Plane sort of snapped and headed straight toward the ground from about 30 feet up. Full power and full up elevator applied. Could not get her leveled out in time. Cowl, motor mount, and wing destroyed.

I'm too used to 3D planes and it's my mistake. This plane has to be flown just like it's full scale counterpart or you won't have it long.

I was the only one at the field when it happened and I just hung my head down and got that feeling I always get when I crash a plane. Sick.....

I got home and called my LHS and told them to hold the other one they had for me. So I'll be back for more Beaver!

The plane held up really well to the crash. I expected it to disintegrate when it hit. Basically it just smashed the front in. Too much cosmetic damage for me to fix. I bought this plane for it's scale looks. So I need a new one. The good part about all this is that all my servos and control rods can go right into the new plane with no fuss. So it should cut my construction time way down on the 2nd one.

To me the plane seemed to fly like it was a real plane. You could tell the wing loading was light when landing. But it did feel heavy to me when flying. I have a GWS Beaver and it pretty much exhibits the same characteristics.

These planes are slow to react to input. But you can over control them if you hold the input too long. It just takes some getting used to. I went through the same thing with my GWS Beaver.

Word to the wise: let the plane lift off via throttle and very small amount of elevator.

Mine was a little nose heavy at 2.5" from the leading edge.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb