HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:32 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Answers to a few questions.

The instruction manual has all the info you need regarding extensions, ESC, motor, etc. If you elect to go with the Power 25 and never plan on using the Power 32, our 40 Amp switch mode ESC will do the job; EFLA1040. We list the 60 Amp because we believe over time someone might want to try the float flying thing and won't want to buy an extra ESC.

I would order it now to ensure you hit the first shipment. It seems to be hotter than I ever thought. We have ordered well on this one based on the response to the AT-6, but jump soon to garantee your bird.

The plane comes out a bit nose heavy when set up on floats with a 4S 3300 and the Power 32. The CG is right on with the Power 25 and a 3200 battery up front. The battery box extends into the cowling area to ensure the CG gets where it needs to be.

Don't know about any other motor/ESC configurations, but if you end up needing any weight in the nose, it should be a small amount. I never needed any on the final samples. The original did, that is why the battery box is designed the way it is.

I personaly was not a big fan of the DHC-2, but I will say this one has grown on me. I am coming to like the looks more and more every day.

Did I not say that things would only get better.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Signing on.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:35 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
What's up with the included spinner? In the manual I saw it. I don't believe I have ever seen a Beaver with a spinner/nose cone. Blanking on correct term .
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
I just ordered mine ! I am VERY excited to get this plane . 'Wow' is all I can mutter...
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:32 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Flying Beaver,

I think you will be hard pressed to find a model that spans 68 inches that weighs under 5 pounds ready to fly on wheels.

John
John,

Don't get me wrong, I think you guys did an awesome job on the Beaver. For an ARF, it looks extremely scale, and the scale details are great. You and everyone else involved with it have my congratulations for producing a beautiful model. I'll probably even buy one when they are available!

I probably should wait until I see it fly to complain about the wing loading. Some models just seem to fly "lighter" than others with the same loading.

It's just that I've seen far too many civilian "light" aircraft models that were far too heavy to fly realistically. Many have to streak around more like a jet or a warbird, to remain airborne.

My dear old Super Cub, built from a Dare J-3 kit, spans just over 60", and weighs right at 2 lbs., ready to fly. At 535 sq. in., the wing loading is about 8.5 oz./sq. ft. Those who see it fly say it looks very realistic, in the air.

My Super Cub is probably too light, (fragile) to be practical for an ARF, but it does have over 150 hours of logged flight time, and three bad crashes along the way, and is still going strong.

Sorry about the long ramble, but I just had to demonstrate that a good sized scale model of a civilian light plane can have a much lighter wing loading than your Beaver.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:03 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,691 Posts
Beaver

Hi Guys,
Great looking Airplane, count me in for one
Joe Pierson
Kerman Ca.
USA
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:22 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Hey AmpAce

You could always go with a inrunner on a gearbox swinging a 3 blade prop. These have always worked exceptionally well on my planes. Provides a lot of wind(thrust) over the wings and keeps the plane slower than a 2 blade(If you want). It also has the benefit of vastly longer flight times. Everything should be lighter too.

Plus it looks more scale and sounds cool too.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 04, 2008, 07:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,894 Posts
AmpAce,
I used to fly a Super Cub (N4101E) and yours looks very nice. (I would love to see a Platinum Series of the Hobbyzone SC). As for wing loading, I have flown RC that are around the 60" wingspan, and 20 oz/sq ft it seems very realistic to me. The inertia on all axis seems like they are close to "being in the cockpit." I have flown two high wing RC in this size and wing loading and they perform great. Plus if Redman says its a good flyer, you gotta believe it is.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:02 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
I will say a that a 60" span cub that weighs in at 2.5 pounds would be nice to see, but almost impossible to do as an ARF at that weight. The beaver flies very realistic and is not that fast. It does not put around at 10 mph which would be too slow for a model of this size.

We have included a spinner as I found a large number of Beaver's with spinners. We elected not to use it, but it is in there for those who would like one.

John
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:18 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
What's up with the included spinner? In the manual I saw it. I don't believe I have ever seen a Beaver with a spinner/nose cone. Blanking on correct term .
A spinner is a pretty common detail on a Beaver...see the pics below. A good proportion of the Beavers have them...the rest typically have a spinner nut arrangement that the model's spinner nut shown in the pictures matches fairly well.

Cut the poor guys a little slack...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:35 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,256 Posts
Hi John! Dont worry about any of the crybabys here! everybody complains that they cant find an afordable nice looking afr..So in you guys step with some of the best looking ARFs ever built! Now they complain that they arnt perfict!..Well if you dont like the looks dont buy it! Or better yet buy it then fix it up the way you like it!..OK my rant.......I for one still cant understand how in the heck you guys are doing it! I just flew the Pawnee and Its a job well done for eflite! As for my Opinion on the wing loading ..well compair this to some of the old gas kits and 20 ish is very good..with a good airfoil this thing will float! and it can still fly in the wind!..Keep up the good work! and dont worry about the nit picking..they will get over it when they fly one! ok more rant but I am done..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
92 Posts
I'm very impressed with the scale looks of the Beaver. There sure are not very many Beaver models on the market that look this nice. This is what I have exactly been waiting for to come out. E-flite has put themselves in a very good position. I will probably dress up the float rigging. As for utility the included rigging will be just as good. The size of the plane is perfect! It is not small, but on the other hand not gigantic. I say E-flite has got themselves another winner!
FlyingBeaver is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBeaver
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:59 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I'm quite impressed with the line-up that E-Flite has come out with... I think my only disappointment is that they seem to feel that 3D planes cover the parkflyer niche.

While the SE5 and the Jenny are nice planes, they're really indoor flyers. Apart from a flock of 3D planes (which do nothing for me) all E-Flite has in the parkflyer size are the P-47 and the Lightning.

As Bob_Suruncle said, it would be nice to see something in the 36-40" span range. While the Taylorcraft is a beauty, and close to that size, I think it's still a bit on the large side for park flying.

When E-Flite produced the P-47 a couple of years ago, I had high hopes. It's an excellent model with excellent flying qualities, and the price can't be beat. The Lightning, while a beautiful model, is a bit more complex, and defintely more fragile than the Jug.

Has E-Flite abandoned the idea of park-sized scale-ish foam planes?
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jan 04, 2008, 12:59 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Give us a bit of time to get into the scale side of the Park Flyer world. We have hit it hard with the 3D birds, but that seemed to be where the market was sitting.

The P-47 is a rgeat plane, but has never been a hot item. The odd thing is it has never had any real bad remarks aboutit either.

36 - 40 inch wing spans just do not give the light wing loading you need in a park flyer, at least not with standard materials being used. That is why almost all fo our park flyers live up in the low to mid 40" spans. It all equals a lower wing loading.

Give it time and keep a look out, you just might be suprised with the up coming year.

John
Old Jan 04, 2008, 01:14 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Give it time and keep a look out, you just might be suprised with the up coming year.
John
These are the comments I like to read.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine