One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,881 Posts
Shipping Date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Flying Beaver,

I only wish I knew you guys would pay $500 for one of these.

John
Considering that I'll probably be dumping that much into it to get it airborne...we ARE paying that much for it

Seriously though.. You guys hit the target on the delivery dates for the Pawnee and the T-craft..how is the shipping dates looking for the beaver?

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:44 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
I will be better off to wait and answer that question in a week. We are close, but with Chinese New Year fast approaching I want to make sure we are on track before I say anything. How is that for a political type answer.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:49 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
I will be better off to wait and answer that question in a week. We are close, but with Chinese New Year fast approaching I want to make sure we are on track before I say anything. How is that for a political type answer.

John
Are you up in Iowa right now?
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:54 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Uh oh, isn't the new year the year of the Rat...
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:00 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Feb 2006
203 Posts
Woo hoo!

I'm really excited about this one. As someone who has played around with designing a Beaver (and gotten to the laser cutting stage) I can appreciate just how tricky this plane is. As to why they don't make it in a smaller span, I can only guess at their reasoning, but what I found with the Beaver is that it has an unusually high aspect ratio wing for a general aviation plane. Unless you fudge the wing chord by a fairly significant amount (which they seem to have done a little of, right?) the wing area is just not very viable at 48". So, at 48" you would have to build it like a gram pincher, which is not all that realistic for a ~$160 ARF. With regards to the landing gear, I too thought long and hard on that one and never came up with anything better than what they had. You either get something that looks perfect but gets messed up on the first few hard landings, or something that doesn't look perfect and is functional. My vote is still for option 2. I think it's great that you guys hid all the tail linkages in the tail cone, and that you internaled the flap linkage, nicely done. For the price, I think this looks to be a great product.

-Sky
AcmeAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AcmeAircraft
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:16 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,881 Posts
More pics of the Model they modeled the model after...

Here
Old Jan 03, 2008, 12:24 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
John,
It looks like the Radial and inlet scoop are from the AT-6. Any idea when the Radial will be available for purchase?
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Jan 03, 2008, 12:27 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
The dummy radial is from the AT-6, the scoop is not. The dummy motor will be available as a separate part this time and I am guessing it will be here in mid March.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Last edited by John Redman; Jan 03, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 01:32 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,276 Posts
Hey John, why did you guys change the reg. number on this one?
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:23 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle
........sigh....... sure looks nice but I wish they would do a 4' span beaver.
Suck it up and put on your man pants! Either get your MAAC and join the club, or get yourself a farm where you can fly that baby!
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:38 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,636 Posts
John, This looks really sharp. I will be adding one to my hanger-for sure. You guys need to come out with a memory expander for the JR6102 radio. I'm once agian running out of room.

A few questions about the plane:

Any chance you could let us know how many and what size of servo extensions we'll be needing?

What's the recomended prop for float power--4 cell Power 32?

Just the other day I had told g/f that there wasn't any new planes coming out that I wanted...I guess that didn't last long. Good thing tax refund time is just around the corner. What's really crazy, with all the snow I have at home, I'll probably get to fly this plane before I get to fly my AT-6. We got another 2 FEET the other day.

Thanks!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:48 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine

Any chance you could let us know how many and what size of servo extensions we'll be needing?

What's the recomended prop for float power--4 cell Power 32?

Thanks!
D9, The recommended setup specs are on the website:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Product...?ProdID=EFL4525

If you look in the picture I attached you will see the red circle is where you need to click to get the info you need.

HTH,
Steve
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:57 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,636 Posts
Thanks! When I clicked on it earlier, I swear there was nothing there. Plus I found the answers to my questions in the instruction manual. Sometimes I get ahead of myself. Thanks!

John, I just read the manual. I love it! Thanks for looking at details like a mount for the ESC and supplying some covering for the wing seam. I also like the push rod connectors--these are much better than the regular plastic ones supplied in previous kits. You guys have made some great improvments with your planes and it shows.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Jan 03, 2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 04:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
John, does the Beaver require any ballast to balance? I know it will vary based on battery used and installation, but what ballast (if any) would an average installation require?

PS I think the wing loading sounds good to me for a 68" wingspan. Not too much at all.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
How soon do I have to pre-order to guarantee that I'll be in line for the first shipment?

I'm so all over this plane. Must get one.

AMA, here I come...
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman