HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
You have got to be kidding me! Not even close.

Don't misunderstand me , I'm not trying to start a fire,... but with all the talk of how much work went into the tail on the AT-6 and how scale >it< was,.... In my opinion you dropped the ball on the landing gear struts. BUT,... it's only my opinion,... yours, and others may be entirely different. That's OK. I'm just stating >my< opinion. It's a very nice looking model other than that.

The first time I looked at it I thought it was really good. Now that you point it out, it is pretty far from true scale. The general strut is just a little too long and not formed correctly. However, this is okay with me. As Mr. Redman said, this plane needs to be mass produced. I, for one, will still be buying it. I've been asking for a Beaver since I got into the hobby a year and half ago.
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:06 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Thank-you so much AmpAce for the you-tube link. That was a great video.

The strut is pretty far off but who wouldn't want to just keep it on the floats?

I hope It's made in the 40 size class as well, like the Pawnee. I'd be flying it off of the lake all day long!

God Bless!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jan 02, 2008, 11:16 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Wow!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Jan 03, 2008, 04:02 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,713 Posts
My guess is the size of the model is based on today's market trends. Many manufactures are having great sucess making planes of this size. Don't get me wrong a T-craft sized Beaver would be pretty cool though. Many folks (like myself) can't afford larger sized electrics and their high priced batteries. These planes can be flown from the batteries we already own (3cell 2100's) Or have storage/transport issues. My H9 Cub which is glow powered pictured earlier here takes up the better portion of the bed on my truck when transporting to the local pond. The "25" size seems to fit the bill of a larger model that still fits the budget and you take a couple to the field with you without having to have a trailer or a large vehicle. For example, I'm pretty certain, I could fit my 25 size AT-6, and two 25 size aerobatic planes in the extra cab of the truck without too much difficulty along with their tools and batteries.

Now as for the landing gear? Come on guys...who's gonna own a Beaver and not have it on floats? I doubt my gear will even get mounted.

Thanks for answering my question on the battery hatch. Nobody likes soggy planes.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Jan 03, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:30 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me! Not even close.

Don't misunderstand me , I'm not trying to start a fire,... but with all the talk of how much work went into the tail on the AT-6 and how scale >it< was,.... In my opinion you dropped the ball on the landing gear struts. BUT,... it's only my opinion,... yours, and others may be entirely different. That's OK. I'm just stating >my< opinion. It's a very nice looking model other than that.
Fred, The way you modded out the Tcraft I am suprised you would even worry about such a trivial thing...
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:47 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
Admittedly, the landing gear struts are a real bugger. I have a nice set of plans for a beaver which I was going to blow up, a little, to 80"ws and scratch build. About the only thing stopping me was the inability to figure out a good way to do the gear struts and fairing and still allow them to flex on landing,... that and the fact it looks like it'd need a good amount of weight in the nose to get CG to come within range. It's still a project in the back of my mind. The gear struts are a real tough area to model.

You can't sleep either huh?
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Jan 03, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:09 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Quote:
You can't sleep either huh?
I start work at 0530. I have a long commute into DC every morning, so I was able to "adjust" my hours to avoid the traffic.

Typical workday for me is: up at 0250, out the door at 0410 - home at 1430, bed at 1930. weird thing is I LIKE the hours...social life stinks, but that's another story.

I recently did a conversion on a VQ model 46 sized Spacewalker, and didn't like the spats on the L/G either. I built a streamlined box around the piano wires to make them look like spats, but still give me the flex for landing. I haven't unboxed my Taylorcraft, but I assume that the L/G spats set up the same way.

I think the Beaver is nice, I had actually thought about getting a GWS just to have one as I have heard that the kits aren't that good. Even though I don't have water nearby, I am going to put floats on it for the winter/snow flying...We had a guy out at the field last year with a Cub on floats taking off in the snow and I have to say that with the type of snow we get here, they sure performed a lot better than my skis...

I hope you do decide to get the kit - that way i can watch you tear it apart and modify it! I remember when you put the flaps on the Cub...I had to do that myself and love how I can really slow her down..

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:39 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Horizon Hobby

Has the beaver up on their site now....Including the manual

--I couldn't resist, I put one on backorder
Old Jan 03, 2008, 08:18 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
Has the beaver up on their site now....Including the manual

--I couldn't resist, I put one on backorder

Here is the link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4525

$160.00 for those wondering.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Last edited by P-51C; Jan 03, 2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 08:35 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpAce
Beautiful Beaver! The struts look fine to me. I wish it could be a little lighter, though. At over 20 oz./sq. ft., I think that's too much wing loading for very realistic flight for a Beaver. The real thing is working to get over 140 mph cruise.
AmpAce
Exactly. The struts and landing gear look fine to me and who can notice them in flight anyways? I will notice if it flys like a P51 and won't slow down though. I want a model that flys like the real thing and looks good in flight. If I wanted a static model I would save a lot of money and build a plastic model kit.

I really like the look of the corrugated metal flaps and ailerons. Are they plastic or built up wood? I would love to know how to do that for a PA-18 that I'm doing.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:26 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,946 Posts
Attention to Detail Shows. A++

John, this is a A+ airplane. I have been very impressed with past E-flite ARFs, but this one has some features that set the bar a notch or two up. Here's what I like:

- The internal control rods on the flaps and tail; WOW! Very nice.
- Corrugated surfaces. Looks great. Haven't seen an ARF with this before!
- Cockpit kit, awesome. I am glad to see Horizon spending time on the cockpits. I love this upgrade.
- Dummy Radial. Nice work as usual. Some other manufacturers leave this off, but on a fly by, it is starring you in the face if it is missing.
- Color scheme and attention to modeling after a real plane; nice.
- Size is not too big, not too small. Can handle a grass field.

Given all this, I would love to see a Platinum Stuka, but whatever the next one is, keep'm comin'!!!
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
92 Posts
The new Beaver looks great, but I have a couple of suggestions. E-flite should have a separate rigging available for the floats, so the Beaver does not look like a DHC-2 with Cub bracing. In addition, many Beavers on floats are equipped with small stabilizers on the elevator. It would be cool to include the stabilizers with the float kit.
FlyingBeaver is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBeaver
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:55 AM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Thats a big plane for just a Power 25/32.
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:57 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Flying Beaver,

Very good points on the float side of it. We elected to go with wire struts because of a cost standpoint. To duplicate the scale strut arrangement would have a bit costly we felt for a $160 ARF. I am sure many will dress theres up with some nicer looking struts. The ones shown in the picture are actually the first prototype set of struts and the ones in the kit give a wider stance on the floats, giving a much more scale presentation of floats to aircraft.

The model we chose did not use the small fins on the stab, nor the large sub fin under the fuselage. I have seen Beaver's in all configurations, so I would guess it has something to do with when the model was produced (could be small changes to the vertical area), or to what load and purpose the aircraft would be flying in. Not sure, but who knows. I have attached a picture of the model we referenced on floats.

I only wish I knew you guys would pay $500 for one of these. If that was the case, it would be one awesome bird!! But honestly I wouldn't even pay that price. The plane flied very light on the sticks even with the wieghts it comes in at. I think you will be hard pressed to find a model that spans 68 inches that weighs under 5 pounds ready to fly on wheels.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:59 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
With the Beaver on wheels you are sitting at close to 85 - 90 watts per pound. Using the 32, you are better than 110 watts per pound when on floats. Think weight, not size.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman