HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:41 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
Nice, Rem! Looking forward to seeing some video soon.

Joe
Snow man! I need snow............ where has winter gone this year??? I'm looking at muddy brown grass right now, yuck! Thanks by the way, soon as we can get a decent layer of the white stuff I will try my feeble hand at some video.

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:42 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Well after much waiting and hoping, we finally got some snow last week. Mounted up the camera and went flying. The first couple of flights were with the camera mounted in the position shown in my earlier post. It was too far back in the cockpit to get a real sense of flying so I moved the camera forward far enough to almost touch the windscreen using the supplied mounts and extensions that came with the Go Pro. Results were most satisfactory!

E Flite Beaver winter flying (10 min 41 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:16 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
894 Posts
Looks good, Rem. Glad you finally got some snow.
Little if any vibration (jello). What mode did you use on the camera?

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:41 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,775 Posts
Agreed. Great job Rem.
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:01 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Agreed. Great job Rem.
J
+1 from here. Steady hands too - looking at the vid I did not feel airsick

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cat Undercarriage
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. Believe it or not that is the first time I have ever video recorded anything! Never owned a cam corder in my life, in fact the first digital camera in this household only showed up 2 years ago. Just a bit behind the times. When I opened up the Go Pro I thought it was incomplete, couldn't find the spot to load the film, Ha! Ha!

Seriously though, the camera was set for 720 res x 30 fps wide, 8 mp med. I also had it set white spot "on", its a feature these Go Pros have for recording from the inside of a vehicle looking out. The first couple of recordings I had the camera set on too high a res and my old lap top couldn't handle it, it was very jerky. Anyway, its a start, I have lots to learn yet. Might try a flight or two looking out the side of the cabin like a passenger would. The throttle setting was no more than half, and take off was at half flaps and 60% throttle. If I didn't have the tree line to clear on take off she would do a nice rog at half throttle for sure. Sure is lots of fun to see how I actually fly the model.

Rem
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:00 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
894 Posts
" Sure is lots of fun to see how I actually fly the model.
Rem "

I agree with you, Rem. I have taken many photos and videos of others flying and now using my GoPro and other cameras to get videos of my own. Lots of fun! You did a great job on your first video!

We had a snow fly-in this past Sat and it was snowing! But we flew anyway. One of my buddies finally got his Beaver up for a test flight. It had been sitting in the box for a number of years until he finally assembled it last fall.

I posted a video on youtube:

Joe

Roland's E-flite DHC-2 Beaver - Maiden Flight (1 min 18 sec)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Was that video shot with a Go Pro? I sure like winter flying, but I do find on grey days that visual references can be challenging at distance. Its amazing how fast a white airplane can disappear! Too bad more folk don't give winter flying a try, frost bite only hurts the first time. Are those home built skis? I just used Dubros on mine for expedience. I wanted to get up in the air Sat, but I just had too much to do at home, maybe later this week. Forecast is calling for a bit more snow.

Rem
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,088 Posts
Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
Thanks for the LG vid. Good Pilot!

Wonderful model, good pilot!
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:50 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Was that video shot with a Go Pro? Are those home built skis? I just used Dubros on mine for expedience.
Rem
Hi Rem - Charley......
That video was shot using a Canon G15. Quite nice for close in video. It has 5X optical zoom but cannot be changed once you start taking a video. But they didn't fly too far out in snow!!

The skis were made by a local hobby shop in Skowhegan, Maine. Art's Hobby. I use them on all my planes with skis. Unfortunately, Art passed away just over a year ago. He was a great modeler and builder.

I believe two pilots were involved with the flight and both do quite well!! I was too busy taking photos and video. I think Roland did the takeoff and Bob ended up landing. It needs some adjustments on the control surfaces - a bit too hot.

A small group of us fly all winter as long as it isn't too cold and windy. Wind is the real enemy. The item shown below helps!

Joe
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,758 Posts
I have an original Beavor, and I fly it on water. What a great plane. I wonder why Horizon didn't do this one in 1/4 scale by Hangar 9? Can you imagine how awesome this Beavor would be with a 144" wingspan on a Power 160 with the Hangar 9 1/4 scale floats?
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, WI, Pewaukee
Joined May 2006
89 Posts
I am thinking on purchasing this plane. What are the preferred ski's for this plane?

Paul
WI53072 is offline Find More Posts by WI53072
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:39 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI53072 View Post
I am thinking on purchasing this plane. What are the preferred ski's for this plane?

Paul
If your up for the challenge, building skis is one way to go, lots of good info out there on the net. Or if you just want to get airborne fast, I used a set of plastic Dubro .60 size skis on my Beaver. They work just fine and hold the Beaver up on the snow no problem. I could really use a tail ski, but have not had the time to sit down and make one yet Check back a little bit in the thread for a picture of mine on the Dubro's.

Rem
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Had a gorgeous Saturday morning last week to get the Beaver out for some more flying. Here is another video I shot, but with much clearer skies. The second video I shot has some good higher altitude footage, when I get a minute I will edit that one down and up load it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vws9TIGJgIw

Rem
Last edited by Rem Fodder; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
I wonder if there is a carbon fiber landing gear that could be adapted to fit the Beaver?
redbarn is offline Find More Posts by redbarn