HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Nov 2009
134 Posts
I flew yesterday for the first time with 5 in. Dubro tundra tires. I also added an 1.5 in. tailwheel. I put zero air pressure in the tires. They do not change the CG at all and seem to make the plane more stable in the air(lower CG?). They also eliminated the bouncing that I had with the stock tires. With full flaps, the plane makes a perfect hands off approach glide ( I keep a little trottle on) and just a slight flare for a three point landing. The big soft tires really stick the landings on pavement or grass.
bushdoctor is offline Find More Posts by bushdoctor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Merry Christmas!, to all that celebrate. Season's Greetings!, to those that do not.

Waiting for a bit more snow to accumulate to get some winter flying with the new skis. A funny thing happened, there was this DX7s radio looking for a new home recently, so I adopted it.................I think it will be a good match for the Beaver.

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
SMASH AND DASH :)
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Feb 2011
83 Posts
Merry christmas! and nice a DX7s... that will work good.
hobbiconexstar is offline Find More Posts by hobbiconexstar
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,815 Posts
Merry Christmas to all.

As it happens, I was getting my Beaver ready today for flying over this break after having not flown her for 8 or 9 months. I was also thinking that this thread has gone a bit cold ... so "Thanx" Rem and I can imagine what is going to keep you busy for the next few days. Keep us posted.

Christmas special Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Had some spare time this evening, (how rare is that two days before Christmas?) and programmed the new DX7s to the Beaver. Three position flaps with speed control on flap actuation!!! Is that cool or what? Looking forward to flying her now! C'mon snow!!

Rem
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Got the Beaver up on the skis with the new DX7s programmed to it. First flight went off perfectly today. The mid flap position for take off is really nice to have. Full flap deployment now takes a full 2 seconds, the plane certainly doesn't pitch up as fast now, in fact I hardly noticed it pitch at all. Cold fingers and fading light caused me to call it quits early, maybe tomorrow we can get some more airtime.

Santa left a nice surprise under the tree, a Hero 3 Go pro camera.......... Can't wait to get it in the airframe for some video.

Rem
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:18 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Aug 2009
352 Posts
Looks great on the skis. Looking forward to seeing some video!
pldawg is offline Find More Posts by pldawg
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Fakenham
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Waiting for flying weather

My E-Flite Beaver sits on the bench, as yet unflown and waiting for better weather, wheels replaced with 4" air wheels, cowl attachment (with dummy motor) modified using Rare Earth 8mm magnets (8 off) instead of bolts, easy to remove with slight twist, esc on fwd servo platform with cooling air through side intake + exit hole on rear underside.

Strut attachment to fus could break lower 3mm longerons if compressed - eg in a heavy landing, so have added 15mm x 20mm balsa span wise block between strut fixing points inside fus. Using E-Flite 32 motor with 4S 3900mah Lipos, Balance ok at 65mm. Plenty of pics but I just can't seem to get them on here successfully...

Ken
Ken Sampson is offline Find More Posts by Ken Sampson
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Sampson View Post
My E-Flite Beaver sits on the bench, as yet unflown and waiting for better weather, wheels replaced with 4" air wheels, cowl attachment (with dummy motor) modified using Rare Earth 8mm magnets (8 off) instead of bolts, easy to remove with slight twist, esc on fwd servo platform with cooling air through side intake + exit hole on rear underside.

Strut attachment to fus could break lower 3mm longerons if compressed - eg in a heavy landing, so have added 15mm x 20mm balsa span wise block between strut fixing points inside fus. Using E-Flite 32 motor with 4S 3900mah Lipos, Balance ok at 65mm. Plenty of pics but I just can't seem to get them on here successfully...

Ken
Welcome to the thread, allbeit a very quiet thread of late. Looks like you are well prepped with some nice mods. I wish that I had gone the magnetic route for cowl attachment, as putting in the #4 cap screws is a pain in the butt, even with a magnetized ball wrench. Just a little tip on the air filled tires which is an absolutely fantastic mod, let all the air out! The tires have enough natural form to hold the model up without going flat, and depressurized they really soak up the bumps on landing instead of bouncing it back into the air. Although I have never had an issue with the strut attachment point on the fuselage, I like your idea of reinforcing it.

Today we got some more winter flying done, the snow is very weak with a crusty top and soft underneath. Touch down a little too hard and a ski tip digs in, not pretty. Nice to get out though, we just need some fresh powder.

Rem
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Waiting for weather

We have had so much rain here in UK that my local field has become a mud patch and is not really in ideal condition for flying our models, but the Beaver is a great model and I'm itching to fly it - not break it...
It has a purpose though, as a test bed for my Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D Stabiliser, if it proves ok it will be installed in my 5m SFS31 Milan (powered by ZG38) ready for a bit of thermal soaring.

Ken
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Photo Failure

Tried again to add photos but no good, selected 6 then 5 were wiped out when trying to upload... No good at all.
Could it be that my ipad doesn't like the idea?

Ken
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Sampson View Post
We have had so much rain here in UK that my local field has become a mud patch and is not really in ideal condition for flying our models, but the Beaver is a great model and I'm itching to fly it - not break it...
It has a purpose though, as a test bed for my Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D Stabiliser, if it proves ok it will be installed in my 5m SFS31 Milan (powered by ZG38) ready for a bit of thermal soaring.

Ken
Where abouts in the UK? My folks left England in '64, with me in tow. All the family is still there, and a few friends. I've traveled and fished a fair bit in England and Scotland over the years. Oh! well, at least you can nip down the local and sip on a pint while waiting for the weather to clear!

Good luck on your maiden flight, watch out on the full power takeoff. The P-32 motor is a beast. A couple of times I had some close calls, on one occasion it nearly looped because I backed off on the down elevator shortly after take off. I thought the motor did not have enough down thrust on the firewall, but after checking it was fine. The tail is level, as it flies at half throttle with virtually zero positive trim, so I put it down to the sheer brute force of the motor. I reduced the throttles range now to 80% of full. It will takeoff with plenty of climb at a 60-70% throttle setting. I won't even pretend to know about the other gear you are installing in it but I hope it goes well.

Rem
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Good info

Thanks for your input Rem, I'm sure it will be useful, I'll back off the motor ATV before flying, I spent 60+ years in London (Blackheath) before moving up to Fakenham, Norfolk 7 years ago - plenty more fields up here. Since being here I've built 12 models, mostly 1/4 scale as its the largest I can get in my car, 87" Tiger Moth, Sig 1/4 scale Cub, Waco YMF3 and others mainly 96" span., the Milan (5m) has a 4 piece wing and weighs 37 lbs, to take an extra plane with me I have to use the roof box!
The Milan is derived from the Fournier RF4 fus mated to the Shreibe-Falk SF27 glider wing, only a few full size were produced.

The Eagle Tree Guardian - weighs just 11 grams and stabilises on all three axis and above all makes a 12 mph wind seem like flat calm - just got to try it....

Ken
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:00 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
My lot is from Surrey, the Woking and Guildford area. Now they are scattered about the country. I've heard about the rains, a cousin up in Berwick had his place flooded out for the second time, a month before Christmas. Norfolk and Suffolk are two places that I have never been to.

I had been out of the hobby for quite a while, only returning to it two summers ago. It has been a lot of fun, I am constantly amazed at the level of progress in RC models and flight technology. The learning curve of the electric motive power aspect of RC flying has certainly been a steep one, but I am slowly getting the hang of it.

Having flown in both DHC Otters and Beavers that were float equipped on a number of fishing excursions in the past, it was a natural for me to get the model. I had intentions of putting mine on floats, however the local pond is a little tight to get to the banks carrying the model without risk of damaging it. So for now it flies from land. This kit is my second serious venture into the hobby, and it is about as big a model that my cramped field can take. I'm currently working on two Alfa kits, a MkVa Spitfire and a Hawker Tempest II. The Spit is done, just waiting for some fresh and soft snow to cover everything back up and then I will take it out for its maiden. Look forward to seeing how you do with the flight stabilization pack.

Rem
Last edited by Rem Fodder; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
678 Posts
Beaver, my first big wooden plane

Last weekend on impulse I purchased the E-flite Beaver from my lhs and spent this past week putting it together with few real issues except to errors in the manual that I would have expected Horizon to have updated or at least produced an errata sheet for.

I also spend more hours than I should trying to read nearly every post in this forum on the Beaver and to be honest, from some of the comments made in this forum I though that maybe I had bought a lemon as so many people seem to have major issues and have said really bad things about the Beaver's flying qualities.

My build is basically stock with Power 32 motor, a no name 55amp ESC and APC 12x6" prop. For the first few flights I decided to use the 3 cell 3300 batts I already have in my Apprentice trainer. Biggest hassle was fitting the Cowling like many others had found and I ended up using external self tapping screws from the outside.

Now I only have around 50 hours on basic foamies but I found the Beaver and easy plane to maiden and fly. Over this weekend I have put 5 pack through her and found she will fly around 10 minutes before the Spektrum DX8 telemetry unit tells me I have hit low voltage cutoff point (9.9v for 3 cells).

Ground runs showed she tracked very straight and was easy to steer with tail wheel up or down.

First flight was a total non event, tracked straight on TO, climbed out easily and needed only a single left aileron trim click to level the wings

First two landings were conducted clean and with about 20% power on for a wheeler touchdown. After changing battery pack I explored basic stalls and stall turns etc. then several landings with 30 degrees of flap which work ok in nil wind but on Sunday I found no flaps seem better in strong winds over 10knots we had.

So far I am very pleased and happy with the way she flies and look forward to some new 4S packs arriving soon so we can see if she will climb vertically.
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Last edited by Corona44; Jan 14, 2013 at 01:56 AM.