+1 from here.
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2009
124 Posts
Back in the Beaver!

I bought my Beaver back in 2009 it was my second airplane. I had some wild takeoffs and landings, broke it several times and finally gave up after the last really bad crash. I was ground looping on take off and getty too slow on landing. In brief, I was not ready for the plane as a beginner pilot. Fifteen planes and six helicopters later and flying twice per week at my club for the past four years, I finally felt that I was ready to try again. I maidened my second Eflite Beaver today with great success. I flew four times. I think that I hit on the perfect power combination for the plane. Turnegy SK3 4240 - 620Kv, 60 amp Turnegy Plush ESC and an 4s 3600ma batt. coupled to a MAS 12x8x3. The take off roll was effortless and very straight. Just a gentle push on the trottle with a little back elevator. With half flaps the take off is even easier and the plane jumps into the air at 2/3 throttle. I did slow stall attempts at altitude with all flap combinations and plane would not tip stall at all, just mush. Landing was very easy with full flaps, some throttle and point the nose down. It flies very slowly down to the runway and just a slight flare at the end. Of course I am a much better pilot now, but I feel that my power/ torque combination is perfect for this aircraft.

bushdoctor is offline Find More Posts by bushdoctor
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Looks fantastic. Congrats on your successful re-maiden
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,516 Posts
@ BushDoctor
Well done. You make it so easy ...... my landings are not as good as I'd like it to be but Beaver has not had any disaster so I'm pleased so far But our summer has been almost non-existent (apparently 2nd worse in the last 100 years) so not getting enough air time. There is always next year for me...

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Canada, BC, New Hazelton
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Looking up talk on the Eflite Beaver Got me to sign up here. I just ordered The Beaver Its due Sept 18th, earlier i hope. Got the p32 with 2 14.8 3300 batteries and Eflite floats. Look forward to flying it off the lakes here in Iskut BC. Looks like this plane has provided years of good flying for many.
Jim Fowler is offline Find More Posts by Jim Fowler
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
I have been using the Zippy Compact battery -- 4s -- 4000mah --- with success. It is about the same size as a turnigy 4s 3000mah battery. I also did something that I think is quite useful. When I assembled the beaver, I didn't glue the front window in place. Instead I put velcro on various places along the window and I glued a small piece of balsa to the fuselage under the top edge of the window. I put a piece of velcro on that to hold the window in place. My idea was to build a verticle or slanted battery box so that I could load the batter from the top. I think I could get two of the 4000mah compact Zippies in place.
rogerleslie is offline Find More Posts by rogerleslie
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:07 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerleslie View Post
I have been using the Zippy Compact battery -- 4s -- 4000mah --- with success. It is about the same size as a turnigy 4s 3000mah battery. I also did something that I think is quite useful. When I assembled the beaver, I didn't glue the front window in place. Instead I put velcro on various places along the window and I glued a small piece of balsa to the fuselage under the top edge of the window. I put a piece of velcro on that to hold the window in place. My idea was to build a verticle or slanted battery box so that I could load the batter from the top. I think I could get two of the 4000mah compact Zippies in place.
Be carefull of your C of G with double packs, my 3200 mah pack in the battery tray with the P-32 motor gives my Beaver a slightly nose down C of G at the specified balance point. Interesting idea with the windscreen and velcro. Be a good way to mount a video camera without removing the wing!

Best of luck and happy flying.

Rem
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
Here is a short video I took yesterday of my Beaver at the lake using a GoPro Hero2. The camera is mounted on top of the wing. It did get splashed a little at take off so I'll have to fix that but it's pretty neat to get the view from the plane. I'll definitely be using the camera more next summer.

E-Flite Beaver on Floats (4 min 47 sec)
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
997 Posts
Looks fantastic! Almost like being in the real thing. I'm hopng to install a flight cam into mine for some flying video around the farm here this winter. Seeing yours on water really makes me eager to get my Beaver on to floats. Thanks.

Rem!
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Agreed. Beautiful fall colors and nice flying. Did you have the clear housing on the GoPro, or was it naked?
Thanks for sharing!
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
Thanks. It was in the clear housing. I just used one of the curved stickyback bases mounted on the centerline, roughly at the cg point. I then used a long piece of velcro around the belly of the plane and around the camera support to provide an "emergency" tether just in-case the sticky didn't hold the camera on. It worked pretty well except for the prop/float splash at take-off. I think if the camera was mounted a hair lower (shorter or no vertical extension on the camera base or even put it in the cabin), then the air from the prop would have blown the water drops off better but then more of the prop would be taking up the view too. I'll have to play with it more and make sure to use full up elevator until its on-plane to keep the prop up out of the water splash.
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:24 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Here you are guys--taken last week in Hobart, Tasmania. Enjoy
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:45 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,139 Posts
These pictures show why I bought the VQ floats instead of the Eflite floats. Not only were the VQ floats a lot cheaper and much lighter, IMO they also look much better because they are larger and in scale with the model...Pete M
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,894 Posts
Nice pics!

Pete, do you have any photos or video of your bird with those vq floats?
Thx,
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Also, where did you manage to buy the VQ's?
redbarn is offline Find More Posts by redbarn