HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
I use Turnigy 25C 4s 3300 batteries with no mods and they balance perfect pushed all the way forward. They are tight to get in through the door opening (anything longer would be hard to get in but there is plenty of room once they are in and the velcro straps hold them in place). Your 4s 3200 should work just fine pushed all the way forward. The Beaver flies great on tundra tires or floats.
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Ditto on the 4 cell batteries for the P32 motor. I have one 4s Thunder Power 30c 3300, and two 4s Team Great Hobbies 35c 3200 batteries that I fly with. Balances perfectly with both styles. The P32 has more power than I really need to fly it with wheels which are the Dubro 4" inflatables. At a reserved flying speed of half throttle I easily get 12 minutes with a comfortable 2 mins reserve if I blow by the timer. Go 4s and have some fun!

Has anyone else experienced a very hard climbing tendency when full power is applied using the P32 motor? Mine will darn near loop if I let it, plus it has a notion to pull to the left. I suspect it boils down to additional motor mount shimming, I used the stock set up as per the instructions but I am now wondering how much additional shimming will be required to correct the problem. Thanks for any help.

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:36 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Nov 2003
807 Posts
Thanks - makes this plane top of my shopping list now.
Got to about page 70 of the thread - people certainly like this.
The Flying Pig is offline Find More Posts by The Flying Pig
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Was wondering are most people useing the 25 size hanger nine floats or something else
racer7696 is offline Find More Posts by racer7696
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:59 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,210 Posts
I bought something else, as the Hanger 9 floats are undersize for scale, and also expensive. Bought the VQ floats on sale for $69. See post 3581....Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
I hav ethe hanger 9 floats but I feel they are really haevy.I think im going to buy a set of foam floats .how many of you out there are useing the foam floats
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
I use the 25 size fiberglass floats on water and Dubro 5-inch tundra tires on land and I like the setup since the CG remains the same with either set on. Both sets are heavy though compared to just flying it on the stock wheels.
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
I think im going to go with a set from seaplane supply I think a light set of foam floats will work better than the eflite ones .I have the eflite ones and man when you use there mounting bracket along with the floats they fly really heavy.They work well just seem heavy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Racer, what size motor are you running?

Rem
Last edited by Rem Fodder; Aug 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
i have the eflite 32 but mine seems to be a litlle down on power.I am mostley a gas and nitro guy so I need to buy a watts up meter and do some testing.I love this plane though it looks awesome on floats jsut dont slow it down to much she does like to tip stall with the added weight of the floats.Think this plane would be awesome with an axi motor in it anyone out there have an axi in threres
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7696 View Post
i have the eflite 32 but mine seems to be a litlle down on power.I am mostley a gas and nitro guy so I need to buy a watts up meter and do some testing.I love this plane though it looks awesome on floats jsut dont slow it down to much she does like to tip stall with the added weight of the floats.Think this plane would be awesome with an axi motor in it anyone out there have an axi in threres
It might be an idea to look at Scorpion motors as well - I love 'em.

You can calculate the power using :

AUW in lb X 200 = watts of the motor.

This formula is good enough for scale flying models but if you want to fly 3D then x300 or more.

I find EFlite motors are more powerful then values quoted in their spec.

Tip stall at low speed is typical of Beaver. Have you tried adding some wash-out on ailerons?
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,921 Posts
Currentdude, you sure like a lot of watts. The more standard figure is 100watts/lb. However it also needs a balance between thrust and pitch speed. A good idea would be to pick a prop, say a 13" or 14". then work with calc programs to find a motor/battery combo to produce the thrust & pitch speed you need. Electric allows larger props which are more efficient and produce more airflow over tail & centre of wing to help at low speed.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
Rookie Hopeful
Massillon, Ohio
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
China Pro 09 DHC-2 Beaver

Also looking at the China Pro 09 DHC-2 Beaver at Nitroplanes.com.

It Has a 72" wingspan, 2500-2600 gram weight. ARF sells for $138.00 .

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-091-dhcbeaver-kit.html

Anybody have any comments ?

Regards

Paul
air4prs is offline Find More Posts by air4prs
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Currentdude, you sure like a lot of watts. The more standard figure is 100watts/lb. However it also needs a balance between thrust and pitch speed. A good idea would be to pick a prop, say a 13" or 14". then work with calc programs to find a motor/battery combo to produce the thrust & pitch speed you need. Electric allows larger props which are more efficient and produce more airflow over tail & centre of wing to help at low speed.
I've gone for the safer option...haha. I fly in 10 -15 mph head wind most of the times and need some bank of energy. But cud not agree more, in less than 10mph, 100watts/lb is good enough.

Larger props are more efficient than tiny buzzing ones; life is always a compromise so pitch and thrust is a matter of personal choice or sometimes the type of model being flown wud dictate. So we agree in there as well... haha.

My intention was to keep the whole thing simple for someone who is new to electric, particularly for someone whose head might already be full of jargon that are not used in ic engines. And I like KISS (not that kind with xxx) formula.

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Racer, I have the same motor in my kit. I am not an expert in these matters by any stretch of the imagination, but it does sound surprising that you are having issues with the E-Flite 32. My Beaver is not on floats yet, but I find that the P-32 has WAY more power than what is actually required to make this bird fly. Just curious, but are you using a 4 cell battery too?

Rem