HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Horizon doesn't offer a replacement, at least not as a separate part (you could buy a new fuselage). You might be able to get a new bracket from them if you call, or from someone with a crashed plane. Some people make their own, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=708. Others mount a different tail wheel setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2831. Search "tail wheel" in this thread and the other for more ideas...

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:38 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Rem, Bruno is right. You'll have to scavenge a replacement, fix your broken one, or go with an alternate setup. I broke mine in 3 or 4 pieces, and used epoxy to put it back together. LOTS of epoxy. Still works 20 flights later
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:52 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I spent a bit more time looking for a replacement after posting yesterday and even looking for something I could modify to fit in place of the original. In the end I gave up. I decided to put the grey muscle to work last night in the shop and produced a replacement part out of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic, which is denser with very good low friction properties than the original, plus it machines freely. I used Josh's idea of gluing the broken pieces back together with cyano glue to produce a master for dimensioning purposes. The critical dimension was the hole spacing for the bulkhead that the mount screws onto, I managed that spot on but now the tailwheel projects a little further aft by about .060". Its amazing what you can do with a table saw and a drill press! Going to hopefully try it out today soon as I can find the time.

Rem
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Last edited by Rem Fodder; Jun 06, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
There you go - nice! I rigged a little jig so I could epoxy mine back together, and then epoxied the hell out of it a couple time to buil up some strength. Making a new one though? Awesome. You could probably sell a few of those
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:32 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
The new tail wheel mount works great. Got in a couple of flights last evening, no problems. The only reason the tail wheel projects a little further aft is due to the thickness of the new mount where it bolts to the tail bulkhead, the original is much thinner under the screw heads. Still, it clears the the tail cone cutout OK, but is right at the limit of the opening, and oddly enough a side benefit that happened is the control rod that actuates the steering arm has more clearance on the left side and is not binding as it was before. Anyway it works, and I'm back in the air again.

Rem
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:22 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,272 Posts
Missed opportunity

Should've brought the Beaver!

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
I flew four nice flights last night. Had to haul two racks, meat, and gear out of the Yukon for two successful moose hunters. I'll have to go back and get the hunters if the weather holds...
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Ha! Nice antlers!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
I lost mine today .. It was only my third flight with the beaver. Tip stall on take off.. The fire wall splintered like nothing i have seen before. Does anyone have a wrecked plane they may want to part with or just the fron half of the fuse? I would love to replace the firewall and enjoy this bird
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,093 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. Frustrating to lose a model when its not yet broken in. I'm up to flight 17 on mine now and am beginning to get a feel for it. Never had the situation you described, but I find with the power 32 motor the Beaver wants to climb so hard after take off at full throttle, that I'm sure if I let it the plane would go into a loop, especially with the flaps deployed. Having had a couple of close calls on take off I have now reduced the top end of the throttles range to 85%. I prefer to fly it in a scale manner anyhow, and at that setting it still has plenty of power to get airborne. Good luck finding a replacement and getting back in the air.

Rem
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3313 View Post
I lost mine today .. It was only my third flight with the beaver. Tip stall on take off.. The fire wall splintered like nothing i have seen before. Does anyone have a wrecked plane they may want to part with or just the fron half of the fuse? I would love to replace the firewall and enjoy this bird
You might just buy a new kit? There's a fella on here who has/had one for sale a little while ago for $150.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,815 Posts
Gone very quiet here. Everybody must be partying

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:59 PM
Oxford, UK
Joined Nov 2003
807 Posts
I know I should read the thread - but at 245 pages ...
How would a 4S 3200 suit the eflite 32 motor?
Would I need to make any mods to accomodate the extra weight / size of battery?
Thanks - and I am gradually making my way through these pages.
The Flying Pig is offline Find More Posts by The Flying Pig
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Would work perfectly. I ran 2 4s 2200mah packs in parallel without issue - had to keep the battery bay cover off though (used velcro straps to secure the batts). Was an excellent setup on a 13x6.5 prop with the P32 and the EFL 60A ESC...
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
I ran Flightmax 4s 3300 nanotec batt with no mod it fit perfect..I pushed it all the up to the front of the battery box balanced perfect
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313