HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 07:46 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
Finally the weather has lifted so I could try out the suggested flap / elevator trim combination. With the flaps down full and the elevator trimmed down 15 points the Beaver resisted the tendency to pitch up when I lowered the flaps on the downwind leg. I found that when I reduced throttle as suggested and observed the plane starting to descend that was the point when I dropped the flaps It settled into a nice sink rate and landed right on the button. So far with 5 flights now, I am quite impressed with this model, easy to see why it is so popular.

Thanks once again.

Rem
Do you really mean slowing down on "downwind leg" ? Was it a very calm day? I'm baffled !!!! Obviously you had 5 successful flights.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 08:33 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,002 Posts
I can't speak for Rem, but it makes sense to me to start slowing down on the downwind. That said, I guess you could wait until you're on final, and really hit the brakes hard.
If I'm on top of my game, I try to do it just like I would in the full-size. Begin slowing and then drop a little flap on the downwind, slow a touch more and drop 1/2 flap on the crosswind, and hit full flap on short final. Gives me time to get things settled...
-Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
I can't speak for Rem, but it makes sense to me to start slowing down on the downwind. That said, I guess you could wait until you're on final, and really hit the brakes hard.
If I'm on top of my game, I try to do it just like I would in the full-size. Begin slowing and then drop a little flap on the downwind, slow a touch more and drop 1/2 flap on the crosswind, and hit full flap on short final. Gives me time to get things settled...
-Josh
I agree with you - re full size. ....but in a model you may not have three flap settings (as in my Tx) and down wind on a windy day (as we've in England during most of the times) going slow is asking for serious trouble. Same applies to X-wind too so that leaves full flaps on final leg as the only option. I use on/ off flaps on final leg. That's the best option on windy days and on a tight spot ( for example with trees around)

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 07:54 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,204 Posts
Downwind and upwind is only a concern relative to the ground and when doing takeoff/landing. In the pattern, you still want to slow down, and it doesn't matter if you slow on the downwind leg or not, as long as you maintain adequate airspeed--that's what counts. Relative to the ground, you will still be going faster downwind than up, but airspeed, which is independent of the wind, will be the same either direction....
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old May 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
Downwind and upwind is only a concern relative to the ground and when doing takeoff/landing. In the pattern, you still want to slow down, and it doesn't matter if you slow on the downwind leg or not, as long as you maintain adequate airspeed--that's what counts. Relative to the ground, you will still be going faster downwind than up, but airspeed, which is independent of the wind, will be the same either direction....
Vector analysis springs to mind....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 01:10 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,161 Posts
Hi I lost mine at the weekend, left hand turn at a reasonable speed and height and she just stalled into what should have been a recoverable spin, let her build up a little speed before feeding in elevator but absolutely no response and in she went to a thousand fragments.

I have had the Beaver for a couple of years and despite experimenting with CG never felt comfortable as quite regularly she would stall. Hadnt flown her for a while but after buying a higher C rate pack thought I would have another go, conditions where great with just a light wind, turn was upwind with aileron and a little rudder.

More than likely it was my fault but has anyone else experienced this, I could not seem to fly mine at anything like scale speed comfortably, always seemed to be on full throttle even after setting CG in front or behind of recommended
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old May 09, 2012, 01:04 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
To clarify things a bit, I am using a DX6i radio with two position flaps, up and full down. The conditions I was flying in that day were pretty close to perfect in my books, light breeze of about 5 kmh in the evening with great visibility. Bearing in mind that this model has only been airborne 5 times, I am still at the beginning of the learning curve with it. What I have found is that it flies quite nicely with a power 32 motor, 13x6.5 APC prop and 4 cell 30c 3300 mah Thunder Power battery on a throttle setting of about 50%. When setting up for a landing I usually (if possible) reduce throttle on the dowind leg of the landing circuit, and deploy flaps when the model starts to loose altitude on the reduced throttle setting. Holding the reduced throttle and flap setting on base leg, and then tweaking the throttle to adjust altitude on final. The Beaver seems to have a fairly predictable sink rate and just settles right in.

Rem
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old May 09, 2012, 07:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
^ Thanx Rim - you're doing fine - just replicate your method and the weather ()

Yep, my assumption was right then - you had "No wind" in my book. Try flying it in 12-16 nmh (@ 19- 26 Km) - Good FUN .

And we consider it to be a good flying day !!!

Happy flying

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; May 10, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,906 Posts
Re stalls at slower speed. It is critical the wing geometry is optimal. Make sure that there is SLIGHT washout at the wing tips (trailing edge higher than leading edge) & that is the SAME on each wing WITH STRUTS ATTACHED. Also check ailerons are flat or fractionally up in the neutral position.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old May 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Current Dude, too glad to clarify that. This model so far is # 4 for me since returning to the hobby. To note, the last time I flew RC was in 1988 and it was a two channel scratch built 1/2 A Citabria with a Cox .051 rotary valve engine. I still have that kite hanging from the ceiling in the shop! I did partake in learning to fly the real deal after I gave up flying RC, however life got in the way of both and my interests wandered. I got back into the game two summers ago with a Parkzone Super Cub and haven't looked back since. What a hoot, I can't believe how far the hobby has advanced in my absence. Luckily for me my flying field is right in my back yard so waiting for optimal flying conditions is not a big deal, too windy, go cut the grass or something silly like that, right conditions, drop everything and go flying!

Rem
Old May 09, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Glad to hear your story and thank you for sharing it with us . You're a living proof that once you get bitten by the bug you're hooked for life . Yes, the flying has made quantum leaps in the past decades.

And you're soooo lucky to have your private flying field too.

I always believed in electric even when it was still in its embryonic stage. Had to take lot of sticks from club mates but it didn't deter me in believing that electric was the "FUTURE" and flying electric model with almost pre-historic 1000 mAh, NiCad cells + poor speed controllers.... but how different it's now. We even have 600 electric helis! I can go on.....

BTW, likewise, I have 100% faith in electric road cars too, be it hydrogen fuel cell or nanotech LiPos. Watching closely "Tesla" cars - gene is now out of the bottle here as well.

0-60 in 3.7 sec - WOW !!!!!
If anyone is interested :
(car is now sold out in North America!! so you'll have to join the queue)

http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/specs

Blue wud be my choice of colour
[ I'm not on any commission ]

Sorry for hijacking this thread
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; May 10, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts

Hi I lost mine at the weekend, left hand turn at a reasonable speed and height and she just stalled into what should have been a recoverable spin, let her build up a little speed before feeding in elevator but absolutely no response and in she went to a thousand fragments.

I have had the Beaver for a couple of years and despite experimenting with CG never felt comfortable as quite regularly she would stall. Hadnt flown her for a while but after buying a higher C rate pack thought I would have another go, conditions where great with just a light wind, turn was upwind with aileron and a little rudder.

More than likely it was my fault but has anyone else experienced this, I could not seem to fly mine at anything like scale speed comfortably, always seemed to be on full throttle even after setting CG in front or behind of recommended

I had this happen to me with floats on.The plane has a fine line where you can slow it down to.With floats you have to fly almost full throttle if you fly around half or scale like and you are not completly on top of it it will drop a tip and do some evil things to ya.When I come in for a landing or have to slow down I always use the flaps what engin eare you useing and what prop size are you useing
racer7696 is offline Find More Posts by racer7696
Old May 24, 2012, 03:09 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I flew the Beaver on floats last week end had quite a few flights with mostly touch and goes, on floats is all about take off and landing.

I have three flap positions up, half and full down.

The Beaver flies noticably heavier on floats than wheels, and attitude is a much better indicator than throttle position, you need to make sure that the nose is down. Pull it up and to much elevator and it will really flip over. It is a scale plane and that is what they do.

With full flaps I drop them on down wind, make a turn to base and then final, if the nose is down and you have full flaps you will not build up any speed. Level the wings!! add a little throttle to stretch the glide and feed in up elevator to get in a three point attitude. Then just reduce throttle untill is just sets down on the step and back of the floats. smooth and no bounce. try to hold it off with just elevator and it will stall.

The short of it is pay attention to the attitude and keep the nose down and you will be just fine.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old May 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I flew the Beaver on floats last week end had quite a few flights with mostly touch and goes, on floats is all about take off and landing.

I have three flap positions up, half and full down.

The Beaver flies noticably heavier on floats than wheels, and attitude is a much better indicator than throttle position, you need to make sure that the nose is down. Pull it up and to much elevator and it will really flip over. It is a scale plane and that is what they do.

With full flaps I drop them on down wind, make a turn to base and then final, if the nose is down and you have full flaps you will not build up any speed. Level the wings!! add a little throttle to stretch the glide and feed in up elevator to get in a three point attitude. Then just reduce throttle until is just sets down on the step and back of the floats. smooth and no bounce. try to hold it off with just elevator and it will stall.

The short of it is pay attention to the attitude and keep the nose down and you will be just fine.

Dennis
Sound advice as always Dennis I wish I had three settings in my Tx but alas only 2 - so it needs to be either on or off. And you cannot beat a good pilot's judgements and it comes with experience ...

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:56 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Has anyone had the misfortune of breaking the tailwheel mount? A couple of days ago on landing I just managed to catch the end of the starboard wing tip in the tall grass (hay actually) adjacent to the strips edge and with the Beaver a few inches off the ground. She spun around rather quickly with the tail wheel catching and snapped the clevis into 3 pieces, fortunately no structural damage to the plane. Can't seem to locate a spare, looks like it may be an e-flite exlusive. Looks simple enough to manufacture a part, but would prefer the easier way of just buying a replacement. Thanks.

Rem