HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,793 Posts
Hi Rem,
When I set mine up, I did some on-field testing to figure out the mix. At home, I mixed in some down elevator with the flaps, and when I got to the field, I kept playing aroun with the mix (doing takeoffs and landings) until it felt right. Not sure if there's another way, as everyone uses different radios/servos/control horn settings.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:45 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Hi Rem,
When I set mine up, I did some on-field testing to figure out the mix. At home, I mixed in some down elevator with the flaps, and when I got to the field, I kept playing aroun with the mix (doing takeoffs and landings) until it felt right. Not sure if there's another way, as everyone uses different radios/servos/control horn settings.
Best,
Josh
I always use flap-elevator mixing programme, making flap control as master and ele as slave. Unless you use a basic Tx, all modern Tx has mixing facilities.

My starting point s 20% down elevator.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cat Undercarriage
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,765 Posts
For the DX6i, under the Adjust Menu, go to FLAP.

You will see a column for ELEV for each FLAP setting. I test my elevator on the ground to make sure I get the correct direction. Some planes need -ELEV and some need +ELEV with flaps. I like to start with 10% making suring the elevator moves in the direction I need.

So if the Beaver climbs too much with flaps, you need the elevator to go down with flaps, and vice versa.

Make sure you slow down before using flaps, and give the bird time to slow down. Some folks assume they need elevator trim with flaps because they deploy too fast, and the extra lift makes it climb. Be sure you reach a stable speed with flaps down to see if you need elevator trim.

I used a little nose down elevator trim with flaps for the Beaver .
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Last edited by tclaridge; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
Some folks assume they need elevator trim with flaps because they deploy the flaps when the plane is going too fast, and the extra lift makes it climb. Be sure you reach a stable speed with flaps down to see if you need elevator trim.
Excellent point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
axi moter replacement for beaver

Hey guys I have this plane with the 32 eflite motor on eflite floats .I would like a little more power and have a axi 2820/12 does anyone have any experience with this motor or have it in the beaver now.still want to run on a 4s lipo also thinking about getting balsa floats I personally think the eflite ones are heavy but thats just my opinion
racer7696 is offline Find More Posts by racer7696
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:45 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7696 View Post
Hey guys I have this plane with the 32 eflite motor on eflite floats .I would like a little more power and have a axi 2820/12 does anyone have any experience with this motor or have it in the beaver now.still want to run on a 4s lipo also thinking about getting balsa floats I personally think the eflite ones are heavy but thats just my opinion
kV on the AXI is too high and it is not very efficient at higher amps.
I suggest first make sure you have a good battery. Assuming you are using a 13x6.5 APCe I would expect 50-55 amps on a good battery. If the battery is good I see eflite recommending APCe 14x7 with some newer planes. Check with a wattmeter, you may need to up the ESC to 75-100amp range to handle it.
A local flyer swears by his E-Flite Power 46 in his beaver, with 14x7 prop.

The original reviewer in MAN used3 blade 12x8 for more torque.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,793 Posts
I actually own that plane from the review, and still fly with the MAS 12x8x3 prop when I fly on 3s. It provides tons of thrust, which is perfect, as my Beaver has some pretty heavy tundra tires. On 4s, I fly with the 13x6.5 2-blade APC prop. That setup is great as well, and a good bit faster than my 3-blade 3s setup. I'd say go with the new prop if you already have 3s batts.
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
axi motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
kV on the AXI is too high and it is not very efficient at higher amps.
I suggest first make sure you have a good battery. Assuming you are using a 13x6.5 APCe I would expect 50-55 amps on a good battery. If the battery is good I see eflite recommending APCe 14x7 with some newer planes. Check with a wattmeter, you may need to up the ESC to 75-100amp range to handle it.
A local flyer swears by his E-Flite Power 46 in his beaver, with 14x7 prop.

The original reviewer in MAN used3 blade 12x8 for more torque.
I have a thunder power 25c and two hyperion 25c batteries one had an iffy cell and I have since gotten rid of it I have never hooked up a watt meter to it yet.so should I be looking at 40 c batteries to get some more power out of it . and when you hook up a watt meter do you fly with it or just do bench tests with it
racer7696 is offline Find More Posts by racer7696
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,793 Posts
I fly with some pretty old 20c 3s and 4s batts. But I fly with two 2200mah batts in parallel, which equates to a 4400mah 20c batt, or 88 amps of continuous power. I dont think these old batts are really capable of putting out that much juice, maybe 66A (15c), but still, they're more than adequate. If you want to test yours, you can either use a wattmeter on the test stand, or some kind of data logging esc/telemetry data in flight. Kinda depends on whatcha got in the toolbox... I'd give your current stuff a test before you plop down some bucks on a new set of batts.
J
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,765 Posts
I corrected my previous post about needing elevator trim with the Beaver. I checked my radio and I use a little nose down (15%) at full flaps and D5% at half flaps. My JR flap setting looks like this:

Flap Elev
Norm 0% 0%
Mid D40% D5%
Land D80% D15%

PS This is for floats, so LG trim might be different.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Last edited by tclaridge; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
898 Posts
Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated. I was aware of the need to trim the elevators down, just wasn't sure by how much. Need to wait for a break in the weather to try again. Anyway here is a shot after the first flight. I'm extremely fortunate to be able to fly at home, my strip is a little tight and accuracy counts on landings. So far from what I have experienced, the Beaver drops in nicely on target, the flaps are a huge advantage. Looking forward to a good summer of flying! Thanks once again.
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7696 View Post
I have a thunder power 25c and two hyperion 25c batteries one had an iffy cell and I have since gotten rid of it I have never hooked up a watt meter to it yet.so should I be looking at 40 c batteries to get some more power out of it . and when you hook up a watt meter do you fly with it or just do bench tests with it
Bench test. I prefer to fiddle with changing props at home.
If you have the luxury of flight logging that is great for seeing what happened after the fact. I am only buying Castle Creations ICE because of this & exchange policy.

Apart from numbers, it is good to figure out why you are dissatisfied with a particular setup. Lack of acceleration = torque = prop diameter. Lack of speed = pitch speed = pitch number.

Even if your batteries are "tired" you may be able to compensate by upping the prop. Lastly Lipos, especially lower C, like to be warm for best power, not HOT or COLD. If you are down at the lake warming in your pocket or on the car dash board in the sun might help.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
SMASH AND DASH :)
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Feb 2011
83 Posts
ok hey guys iv have a eflight beaver since christmas. i just turned 15 and was wondering if anybody has any spare parts laying around that they would like to donate. i need a esc and a batt.
hobbiconexstar is offline Find More Posts by hobbiconexstar
Old May 01, 2012, 09:18 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
898 Posts
Finally the weather has lifted so I could try out the suggested flap / elevator trim combination. With the flaps down full and the elevator trimmed down 15 points the Beaver resisted the tendency to pitch up when I lowered the flaps on the downwind leg. I found that when I reduced throttle as suggested and observed the plane starting to descend that was the point when I dropped the flaps It settled into a nice sink rate and landed right on the button. So far with 5 flights now, I am quite impressed with this model, easy to see why it is so popular.

Thanks once again.

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old May 04, 2012, 08:50 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,241 Posts
Fly it on floats and be impressed some more. I really enjoy taking off and landing on water with this model. Bring on summer!

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook