HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Lake Placid, FL
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Greetings all - first time poster, long time lurker.

Thanks for the tip on the CMP Beaver! Off to rcaerodyne with the plastic! This will be my first float plane.
Jake at the Lake is offline Find More Posts by Jake at the Lake
Last edited by Jake at the Lake; Mar 05, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:30 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Hmmmmm... I wonder what was your reason for flying with flaps down but c of g rearward? Coz that's exactly what I've in mind to do (i.e. flying it as slow as possible without stalling) when weather improves here.

As to buddy box, what tx do you have? I'd have thought most tx have a socket for buddy box connection. All you have to do then is to buy another of the same tx (preferably)
I've been flying it with the cg forward which required quite a bit of up elevator (~3mm) for level flight at around 60% throttle (clean config). It flies fine this way but I wanted to get the elevator closer to neutral by moving the cg back. By doing that I was able to cruise at around 50% throttle. The elevator still has some up trim but not as much as before. Now with the flaps down (which require some down elevator compensation) my elevator is pretty much at neutral. I could check the stab/wing incidence and shim as required. That's really the best solution but too lazy. My cg is at the aft limit per manual (maybe even a tad past using the fat fingers method). If you move the cg back, remember to decrease your throws. It can get pitchy on you. I don't have low/high rates programmed, just one rate. I like flying this model slow, looks more scale. Honestly, I don't think I have gone WOT even on water takeoffs. Have not looped or rolled her...yet

I use Futaba 12z (buying another as a buddy box is not an option ) Actually, all I need is a cord. Just made up an excuse to the kids so I get all the stick time. They can fly the Slow Stick for now

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:32 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,700 Posts
Thanx Juan for your comprehensive reply... much appreciated it .

I agree fully the way you've adjusted your Beaver. I was just a bit baffled when you mentioned in your earlier post that you've take cg back so that you cud use flaps (as I read it) but now its x-tal clear

Happy flying.

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:20 AM
Auburn, CA
Joined Feb 2009
171 Posts
Pete,
Where did you buy the VQ floats, and did you use the stock eFlight mounting hardware?
Are they working as expected?

Bill
Bilymac is offline Find More Posts by Bilymac
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:37 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,165 Posts
I haven't put them on yet, but just looking at them I don't think mounting them will be a problem. I bought them when they were on sale at Hobby People...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:39 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I have been flying the Beaver off a pond that we have at our flying field, Easy for take off but a little tight to land, Need to come in just of the deck to get it down before I run out of water.

We will be haveing our club fun float fly a Camp Far west just north of Roseville this Saterday
Looking forward to all the water I need

Any in the Sacramento aeria are invited to joine us
Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Dennis, Are you gonna get any pics for us?
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
Giving up on this bird on floats :(

Well, I flew my Beaver with wheels off grass and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I couldn't wait to put the floats on. I was able to get the CG on the mark by simply moving the battery as far forward as possible. I have the power 32 motor.

She takes off great, and flies around really nicely, but boy don't let her slow down! With the floats on the stall is nasty and unrecoverable for me. She just fell out of the sky with no chance of recovery. First time I snapped the wing in half. Repaired it and tried again. Same issue, this time from about 100 feet up straight in. I broke the strut and cowling. Not too much damage for such a tumble but I will not put the floats back on. My opinion is that the aspect ratio of the wing is too high to adequately support the added weight and drag of the floats. A gentle flyer like this should not have such a horrible stall IMO. Maybe E-Flight could release a model with more wing area for the float version? That would be my hope.

I am an experienced RC pilot with 25 years of flying, can 3D foamies as well as my Glow planes. Fly gliders regularly too. Just think this plane was not adequately designed for float flying. Just my opinion of course! Have enjoyed this thread and all the input of the people who have contributed. I will continue to fly my Beaver with wheels as it flies great without the bad stall. Love the flaps too!

-Robin
rhoon is offline Find More Posts by rhoon
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:13 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crashes Robin. What did it do after the stall? Unrecoverable spin?

I lost my first Beaver when it was on wheels trying a hammer head turn. I used the same amount of rudder as I do with another plane (WAY too much) and set it into a spin. I managed to stop the spin and got it level but forgot to add throttle. I would love to have another crack at it but can't get myself to purposely put the plane in that position again. Anybody know a plane on Realflight that is good for spin recovery practice?

I've flown a dozen or so times on floats and haven't had any issues at all. I don't want to lose this one. It's probably my favourite so I'd be interested in hearing more about your stalll issue.
dale4040 is offline Find More Posts by dale4040
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
I had just turned back into the wind toward me, and dropped the throttle to 1/3 with the intention of descending and doing a slow fly-by. The plane nosed-up slightly and I was about to give some down elevator when she just dropped her left wing and slowly spun into the water from about 100 feet up. I tried to give her up elevator once she gained some speed but she didn't respond. I have never seen anything like it in all my RC flying years! It was like she just fell out of the sky! I don't think I could have done anything to recover from it. I did not have any flaps engaged.

--Robin
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,908 Posts
rhoon, sorry to hear of your crash. I have flown the Beaver on floats for years now. No problem with the stall. It falls straight ahead in a gentle mush. My only guess is that there may be wing twist that is tipping one side (or one aileron down a little more than the other), or the CG is back too far. It may be a combination. An aileron that is down only one or two degrees on one side can cause this when the wing loading is above 30 oz/ft^2. Wing twist makes a tip stall prevalent when you get into the heavier loaded planes.

I have experience this "falling out of the sky" during a turn and it is very frustrating. I have traced it back to high wing load in a stall (accelerated or slow) without the right amount of twist. The wing in the high side of the turning bank has an increase in lift (down aileron) and stalls first. Then the spin begins.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
I have a beaver which I found great but somewhat challenging at times. Another flyer lost his in a turn. His new ARF (better quality than first) is built with an Eflite 46. It is a much better flyer, possibly because the CC is further forward. In retrospect, I had my battery all the way forward & was just barely in range.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
My C of G was not notably different with the floats, so I do not see why she should stall so differently. Maybe one day I will put the floats back on and try adding some weight to the nose. Twice burned though................ I'm reluctant

---Robin
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoon View Post
My C of G was not notably different with the floats, so I do not see why she should stall so differently. Maybe one day I will put the floats back on and try adding some weight to the nose. Twice burned though................ I'm reluctant

---Robin
True, my thinking was that the added weight makes it more critical.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:47 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,077 Posts
Hi all. This is my first post on this thread although I have been following it quietly on the sideline for some time now under a different user name. I have just recently completed an E-Flite Beaver with the Power 32 option and flying it from a rough grass field. Logged 3 flights so far with no nasty surprises. I have just recently returned to the hobby 2 years ago after a 25 year hiatus. A little rusty at first, but we're getting the hang of it. The Beav is my 4th and most complex kit so far. Could anyone perhaps pass on some input on setting up the flap / elevator mix on a DX6i system? The model balances nicely in the middle of the range for the C of G, no issues there. The flaps are adjusted correctly and when deployed there is no flap induced roll. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder