HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:28 PM
Jasper, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
71 Posts
jollyroger, are you still following this thread?
You mentioned having a Sig Seniorita, on floats, I'd like to hear about which floats you used.
Thanks in advance
Ed
Edjahar42 is offline Find More Posts by Edjahar42
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:51 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
By the way, my float trainer? Hobbyzone Cub on floats. Big fun
Josh, I'm glad you're still enjoying the Cub. It was my first floater.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
Yeah Juan,
I love that thing. Total beater, and a little rusty now cause I keep flying it in the ocean, but it still works great!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
Jasper, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
71 Posts
Just thought I'd pass this idea on to anyone wanting to open up their cowl opening. Another contributor used a set of hobby compass scribes to score the cowl, then finished with exacto knife.
I didn't have a compass so I dreamed this up. Board thick enough to hold nails and screw straight, drill holes for snug fit at cowl opening, adjust screw for cut. I too then finished with exacto knife due to screw tip skipping against fiberglass mesh. It came out very neat and only required light sanding on edge.
Ed
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Hello guys!
I just recently bought myself a brand new e-flite beaver and I am very happy with it,I have a build qeustion that I am hoping someone on here can help me with,
In the kit it came with 8 motor spacers 4 were longer then the other 4,I have a brand new e-flite power 32 in the beaver and I am wondering if I need to use the shorter or longer motor mount spacers?

Thanks

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford f47 View Post
Hello guys!
I just recently bought myself a brand new e-flite beaver and I am very happy with it,I have a build qeustion that I am hoping someone on here can help me with,
In the kit it came with 8 motor spacers 4 were longer then the other 4,I have a brand new e-flite power 32 in the beaver and I am wondering if I need to use the shorter or longer motor mount spacers?
Thanks
ford f47
I used longer spacers for Power 32 motors.
You can always test fit it and I'm sure you'd find you need longer spacer to avoid prop touching the engine cowling.

Mine still awaiting for good weather for its maiden.

Have fun in building - it's really a POC to build - quality of the model is far far better than my workmanship

Cheers

CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
New Beaver

I have built and flown 2 Horizon Beavers and I love them; I included a picture of my current Horizon Beaver that I added scale floats and frame and Nav lights.

I just purchased the new CMP beaver that just came out and I thought I would show a couple of pictures of it in the box. I am going to install scale floats as well.

The differences between the two Beavers that I can tell so far are:
The Cmp Beaver is a little larger and requires a 35 to 42 motor because it weighs more. It has plug in wings versus one long wing that attached to the top of the fuse. Better for transportation. When installing scale floats it has the formers already in place so you have the cross bars hidden inside the plane. The plywood and all balsa used is a little thicker and much stronger which is great for those hard landings. The front cowl is fiberglass like the Horizon beaver and is larger and the method to attach to the fuse is way easier then the Horizon Beaver. On the Horizon Beaver I installed magnets and got rid of the hard to get to hex head bolts. Instead of a battery hatch underneath it has working pilot and passenger doors that allow you to slide the battery into the battery cradle with ease and not fight pulling off the bottom hatch and yanking the battery out. It will also fit several size of batteries. It comes with the horizontal stabilizer fins which I fabricated for the Horizon Beaver for better tracking when taking off and landing on water. Unlike the Horizon Beaver the rear stabilizer and rudder have the control rods protruding from the back of the fuse connecting to an exterior control horns. The wing struts are aluminum with a tear drop shape versus the cheap mono-coat covered wood struts on the horizon Beaver. On my Horizon Beaver I went down to the hobby store and purchased aluminum tear drop tubing and painted them white to help get a better scale look and I also installed a 46 Rimfire motor for the extra weight of the scale floats. She does fly great. The CMP Beaver comes in a kit only and a receiver ready version. There isn't a cockpit kit for it as of now and you would think they would have a nav lighting option as well similar to the really scale one on the new Horizon super cub.

Anyway I thought I would pass on my observations on the new Beaver that just hit the market. CMP also has a new all composite PBY that I am waiting to get my hands on for summer flying.
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Last edited by velyter; Feb 29, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
Jasper, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
71 Posts
Hey Velyter, I'm jealous. Is that the 96" ARF? I have the Horizon Beaver, still in the box, I'm in no hurry to assemble it, I haven't had to good of luck lately, I'm in the process of rebuilding my Sig Kadet. I need more stick time before I try the Beaver but one day I might want a bigger one- easier to see and all.
You have no shortage of water to fly off of up there, my wife is from Anacortes and we come up often.
Let us know how the KMP goes together.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjahar42 View Post
Hey Velyter, I'm jealous. Is that the 96" ARF? I have the Horizon Beaver, still in the box, I'm in no hurry to assemble it, I haven't had to good of luck lately, I'm in the process of rebuilding my Sig Kadet. I need more stick time before I try the Beaver but one day I might want a bigger one- easier to see and all.
You have no shortage of water to fly off of up there, my wife is from Anacortes and we come up often.
Let us know how the KMP goes together.
no it is not the 96" arf that is the KMP all composite Bearver. This is the CMP Beaver with about a 71" wing span. I love the Anacortes we go to the San Juan islands in the summer taking the ferry from there.

If you are going to put floats on your Beaver install the 32 motor and it will take off in a much shorter distance and fly better.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2006
502 Posts
I think the nose on the CMP 71" one looks more scale than on the E-Flite one. Do you agree?
DaveInLA is offline Find More Posts by DaveInLA
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I think the nose on the CMP 71" one looks more scale than on the E-Flite one. Do you agree?
Yes I thin it is. I will start the build and post a thread on the build in 2 weeks. I really like the plug in wings. So much better for transportation and it is a sturdier model then the Horizon Beaver.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velyter View Post
Yes I thin it is. I will start the build and post a thread on the build in 2 weeks. I really like the plug in wings. So much better for transportation and it is a sturdier model then the Horizon Beaver.
I've built my E-Flite Beaver as a "Two-piece" plug in wings ... just used a flat meta bar as wing joiner (cud have used carbon rod). It can be done.

I wish tho it's wing span was 2m, at least - it would then float like a real Beaver.

Cheers
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
I've built my E-Flite Beaver as a "Two-piece" plug in wings ... just used a flat meta bar as wing joiner (cud have used carbon rod). It can be done.

I wish tho it's wing span was 2m, at least - it would then float like a real Beaver.

Cheers
What a great Idea for the wing. I am getting ready to do a brief build thread on my new Beaver. I am going to do some scale touches.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:38 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,276 Posts
Beaver

This plane is so fun to fly on super calm days. The lake was glassy and temp at the beach was in the mid 50s today. Unbelievable! I grabbed two batteries and headed to the beach. I wanted to shift the cg further back and cruise around with the flaps down flying as slow as possible. I flew up and down the beach this way for ten minutes ten feet above the water. People were taking photos and commenting how it looked so real

I gotta figure out how to hook this up to a buddy box cuz my kids want to fly it now. I guess I made it look so easy to fly

Just sayin'...

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnaphook View Post
This plane is so fun to fly on super calm days. The lake was glassy and temp at the beach was in the mid 50s today. Unbelievable! I grabbed two batteries and headed to the beach. I wanted to shift the cg further back and cruise around with the flaps down flying as slow as possible. I flew up and down the beach this way for ten minutes ten feet above the water. People were taking photos and commenting how it looked so real

I gotta figure out how to hook this up to a buddy box cuz my kids want to fly it now. I guess I made it look so easy to fly

Just sayin'...

Juan
Well done Juan - can you send some of your good weather towards us plz or better still can we swap it for some rain or snow ???

Hmmmmm... I wonder what was your reason for flying with flaps down but c of g rearward? Coz that's exactly what I've in mind to do (i.e. flying it as slow as possible without stalling) when weather improves here.

As to buddy box, what tx do you have? I'd have thought most tx have a socket for buddy box connection. All you have to do then is to buy another of the same tx (preferably)