HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:41 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
Diamonds? Those are nice! I'm thinking about getting my tailwheel endorsement in the next couple months... Should be fun.
The Eflite 60 amp esc is pretty bulletproof. Should do you just fine without an external BEC.
I'd go with the suggested throws in the manual. For the elev/flap mix, there isn't a measurement in the transmitter, just numbers. When I first did it, I think I had about an 1/8" down elev throw mixed in with full flaps. After the first flight, I just played with it till it was as Dennis described above.
Good luck with the cranky build. Flying it will make it all worthwhile!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:48 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Pete - I have to qualify my response by saying that although I do have the E-Flite floats, I've not fitted or used them yet - but I can't imagine that you'd need more than a 32 on 4S even with the larger floats you have. In my plane, I fitted the "budget" HobbyKing G32 with a 13 x 6.5 prop and on 4S it has a truckload of power. At full throttle it roars off the ground, I was quite surprised when I flew it for the first time - really, power to spare. I'd be supremely confident that even with larger floats and the expected increase weight and drag that this power-train would be more than ample.
By the way, if you like I'll get one of the E-Flite floats out of the box and weigh it so that you can get a better idea of the likely differences between those and yours. Just let me know.
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:14 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
If you're still unsure about motor, then have a look at this vid:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...95005&page=236

p 236 # 3540.

I'd send him a pm and you'll have an answer from horse's mouth

BTW, I'm sorry to hear you've so much problem in building the Beaver My Beaver was a POC to build - everything fitted well. some people had difficulty towards fitting ele, rudder and nosewheel connection at the tail end - but mine all came together with zero problem I'm very pleased with the quality of finish, in fact the best ever ARTF model for me

You must have picked up a Friday afternoon model

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Pete - I have to qualify my response by saying that although I do have the E-Flite floats, I've not fitted or used them yet - but I can't imagine that you'd need more than a 32 on 4S even with the larger floats you have. In my plane, I fitted the "budget" HobbyKing G32 with a 13 x 6.5 prop and on 4S it has a truckload of power. At full throttle it roars off the ground, I was quite surprised when I flew it for the first time - really, power to spare. I'd be supremely confident that even with larger floats and the expected increase weight and drag that this power-train would be more than ample.
By the way, if you like I'll get one of the E-Flite floats out of the box and weigh it so that you can get a better idea of the likely differences between those and yours. Just let me know.
yarrumevets, thanks for response. Per the HH website, the Eflite floats are 28oz so I have a starting point for the weight--just have to wait until the VQ floats arrive to weigh them. Strangely enough, I could not find their weight posted anywhere on the web, just a lot of other references.

Glad to hear the Power 32 seems up to the task, once I know the float weight I will know the flying weight of the model and have an idea how close to 8 lbs it might get. However, still need a little extra for water takeoff. 4S is of course a given, but still may go with a Scorpion or Hyperion replacement--Eflites are not the only motors out there :-) As I say, waiting on the floats before deciding how to proceed...Pete M
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
No worries Pete - sounds like you're well prepared and completely on top of things as it is.
I think you're right too, when you say that the EFlite floats are a little small for a convincing scale appearance.
All the best, and look forward to hearing how it turns out for you there.
Steve
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
[QUOTE.... However, still need a little extra for water take off. 4S is of course a given, but still may go with a Scorpion or Hyperion replacement--Eflites are not the only motors out there :-) As I say, waiting on the floats before deciding how to proceed...Pete M[/QUOTE]

I agree. I've both Scorpion and E-Flite motors - you may find E-flite motor per sa are economical to buy and no compromise made on quality or performance. In fact, E-flite motors have become very reliable and they've slightly better power than specified. I've converted to E-Flite now ( I'm not on any commission from them )

Cheers

CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Last edited by CurrentDude; Jan 24, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:06 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,210 Posts
True enough, since Scorpion motors about doubled in price a year or two ago, Eflite is more attractive. But if you watch the sales, can still get the Hyperions at an even better price--picked up a couple not too long ago. And of course Turnigy has become the cheap way to go, although it seems to be hit or miss on how well they last...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,924 Posts
Great Hobbies has deals on the 4025 series. $75 off, going fast I bought a couple. Also the 3032s are $99, I think they are not a big seller as most people go for the 3026 size in the 3s & 4s equivalents of eflite.
Remember to switch currency to US default is Canadian.
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...CO&srchcat=MAE
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
The power 32 on 4s with an AAPC 13x6.5 is the standard high power set up.
If you need more power then go to a 14x7 prop. It will be more than adequate and would pull closer to 900+ WATTs. A lot of spray into the prop but can be delt with.

You will not like the beaver if you get any where near 8lb.

The e flight floats work, they are a little small but do the job. extra weight will be a
no-no

If you go off brand keep it the same weight.

The power 46 will only give you the extra power with a 5s pack and that will not fit.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:00 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,924 Posts
My 2c

Stick with Power 32 if you have it, on 13x6.5. Invest in a good 45C or higher battery & good ESC.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:45 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,210 Posts
Well, the VQ floats arrived today and I have to say they are NICE! See pictures, I have one with the fuselage to give you a perspective on size, and then a couple of close up pictures. And what's even better, the floats weigh 23oz, so after adding in the mounting harware, overall weight will not be much more than with the Eflite foats. So looks like a Power 32 or equivalent is indeed the way to go.

Have a couple of other projects to complete, but hope to have this one ready to go when spring arrives--unless some deep snow comes and I just have to get it out with the floats--lol. Pete M
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Wow those are some sweet lookin floats! Love the detail.

I also like the way they mount with the wooden tabs sticking out, nice idea.
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,924 Posts
I thought the tabs look a little thin. Maybe some carbon fibre sheet reinforcement.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,210 Posts
The tabs are 1/4" birch ply and extend into the float--I don't think strength is going to be an issue...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:53 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Nice - yes, the scale and proportion of the floats make them look a perfect fit against the fuse!