to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:21 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbiconexstar View Post
im from the United States
Thanx - I cud have helped you but I live in UK and that's why I asked the question.

Hope you find someone to help you. Good Luck.

PS:
There are plenty of model shops in US who sells these items at a much cheaper price than in the UK. for example, I've noticed same items you pay $15 and we pay 15. (1 = ~$1.6)
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
I take then that your normal weather in winter is + 20 - +15 oF ?????
Ignore "Global Warming" at your own (and future generation's) peril dude.

We're lead to believe "There is no ozone hole but just a big hole in some people's imagination/ brain"....And now I wonder who has the last laugh....

This is not the place to have a "Global Warming" debate. I was just pointing out that the temperature is not above normal everywhere. You can wory about the earths temperature, I just want to build and fly toy airplanes.
darylm44 is offline Find More Posts by darylm44
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
This is not the place to have a "Global Warming" debate. I was just pointing out that the temperature is not above normal everywhere. You can wory about the earths temperature, I just want to build and fly toy airplanes.
I made a light hearted comments - hence all the smilies.

... But more importantly, "Toy aeroplanes" ....ahhhhhhh .. hope not. My all models are high-tech micro electronics filled aerodynamically magnificent machines

Cheers

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Jan 22, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
... But more importantly, "Toy aeroplanes" ....ahhhhhhh .. hope not. My all models are high-tech micro electronic aerodynamic magnificent machines

Cheers

You are right, that's what I meant.
darylm44 is offline Find More Posts by darylm44
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:53 AM
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
Hey guys!

It's been a year since the last time I visited this forum and a LOT has been posted! I still haven't completed building the Beaver have ran into several set backs, and on top of that, school, flight training, new job, military involvement have all taken my free time. I have had a little break from it all and have the plane about 65% done and I am thinking I will be able to FINALLY finish it up by tomorrow night! I remember "hidaven" and "jgalexander" helping me out a lot, you guys still around?

Well I have read through as much as I could in this thread and have some new questions. First, I have the flaps extend to the same length on both of them, but when they raise they dont go all the way flush with the wings. They are close though. I have cut some wood away that was hitting the flaps and that helped a little. Is this going to be a huge affect or something that will not even be noticeable?

Next question, I read about having a BEC for this plane. I've never had to deal with a BEC and I have put a lot of money into this plane I would hate to have it crash. What exactly does the BEC do and what one would you guys recommend?

Another question I read up on people using differential. Also something Ive never had to deal with. Is the throws of 50% sound right for
this plane? For example, left aileron moves up 1/2" the right one should move down 1/4", that what you guys use? Obviously not the right measurements, but as for the ratio is my area of question.

Next one (Bare with me!) I read that with the flaps fully extended, you don't want more than 1" control throw on the elevator, is that correct? Also, what control throw would you recommend for flaps to elevator mixing? It's been so long since I've done any of this stuff, sorry for the poor questions and huge post!

Thanks a ton guys and happy flying!
Lunchbox is offline Find More Posts by Lunchbox
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:26 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,005 Posts
See, that's why I buy used planes - somebody else has already gone through all the headaches and worked out the kinks for me. What's up Lunch? You sound like me - other than the military part, my last year looked about the same as yours - hella busy.
Glad to hear I was of assistance before - here goes another crack at it. If I'm wrong, somebody check me on it, please.

Flaps. Are you saying they're down a little bit, and that the wing is preventing them from raising fully? If so, sounds like that won't be much of an issue. If anything, you'll have a bit more lift, a bit more drag, and a bit more washout on the inner part of the wing than normal.

BEC. Battery Eliminator Circuit. Basically, a voltage regulator that provides regulated power to your receiver/servos. Most ESCs have one of these. Switching ones are good, linear ones, not so good. Most these days are switching. External BECs (CC 10A, Dimension Engineering, etc.) circumvent the ESC and provides power to directly to the receiver/servos. If you fry your ESC, and you don't have an external BEC, you're toast - you won't have any control. If, however, you have a BEC, the ESC isn't involved in the battery/receiver/servo power circuit, and even if the magic smoke comes you, you'll still have directional control to glide your plane to the ground.
Here's a BEC FAQ page: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BECFAQ.htm

Differential. I think that's the general idea, but I have no idea about the %

Elevator/Flaps. Where'd you hear that? Hadn't heard that, but 1" on the elev seems like a hellofalot-o-elevator anyway. As far as the flap/elev mix goes, on my dx-7 I have:
Mid-flap: 12 units down on the elev
Full-flap: 28 units down on the elev

What are you doing flight training in? Military or private? I just got my license last Feb. So far, it's all 152's and 172's...
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Jan 22, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
Hey guys!

....First (question), I have the flaps extend to the same length on both of them, but when they raise they don't go all the way flush with the wings. They are close though. I have cut some wood away that was hitting the flaps and that helped a little. Is this going to be a huge affect or something that will not even be noticeable?

As have been pointed out that shouldn't be an issue provided flaps completely flush with wing after a gentle push form you. Remember, during flights, the air flow over them will keep them flushed

Next question, I read about having a BEC for this plane. ... well you've received a full answer already.

Another question I read up on people using differential. Also something I've never had to deal with. Is the throws of 50% sound right for
this plane? For example, left aileron moves up 1/2" the right one should move down 1/4", that what you guys use? Obviously not the right measurements, but as for the ratio is my area of question. ...your own answer is perfect but can you actually achieve it?

Next one (Bare with me!) I read that with the flaps fully extended, you don't want more than 1" control throw on the elevator, is that correct? Also, what control throw would you recommend for flaps to elevator mixing? It's been so long since I've done any of this stuff, sorry for the poor questions and huge post!

It's important that you make the correct settings. This is shown in page 48 (in my manual but I believe page number varies in some manuals) I'd keep the low rates because I believe high rates for maiden may be a bit too strong. ... but that's IMO. People have their won preferences but please don't exceed the max rates shown in the manual.

Another important point, please make sure CG in the correct position i.e. ~60mm back from the leading edge. 70mm would be too far back for maiden and Beaver wud be "twitchy" on elevator.
HTH Happy Flying and don't forget to post some pics.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:48 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,205 Posts
Well, LHS had a sale so I finally bought one of these after looking at it for about a year. A really nice model. And since I like water flying, I just bought a set of floats for it as well. But I didn't buy the eflite floats, based on pictures of the real deal, the eflite floats at 28" long are way undersize for a scale look, so I bought a set of the VQ floats that were on sale at Hobby People--even with shipping to the east coast, they were still a good $15 cheaper than getting the eflite floats at LHS, and at 36.6" long are just about perfect in size. Only concern is I have no idea how much more (if any) they weigh than the eflite floats. Will certainly know when they get here and I weigh them.

As a result, I am thinking about something a step above the Power 32 for a motor. Not having plowed trhough all 238 pages of this thread, has anyone used a more powerful motor? If so, what have you used? I have always found it easy to throttle back, but one you hit the firewall, you can't get any more...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,908 Posts
Easyman's differential, take off servo arm & replace on the spline 1 cog away from the control horn. If you went in the correct direction you will have to LENGTHEN the pushrod by unscrewing the clevis. This works because the the further away the servo arm gets from 90 degrees to the pushrod, the less pushrod linear pushrod movement. If 1 cog isn't enough try 2. Check for binding at end of travel & sand/file wood as required.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Lunchbox

Having a little flap will not hurt, except in inverted flight. there should be no binding in any of the flap positions. that could easily lead to over amping your BEC and cause it to fail. check to insure that the flaps move freely through out their range.

If you have a quality ESC with a built in switching BEC there is no need to have a seperate BEC.

The ratios for differential you listed will work fine.

Set the elevator throw per the manual!!! 1" sounds extreme. No need to have more or less elevtor throw with flaps up or down.

I use half flap for take off and full flap for landing. At full flap they act more like a speed brake to controll speed in a steep approach for landing.

You can mix in a little down elevator with flaps, it will keep the plane from climbing when you drop the flaps, much easier to deal with than holding down elevator to land.

Put a little mix in and at a safe altitude deploy the flaps, you would want to see the airplane in a very!! gentle dive or continue straight flight when the flaps are down.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Glad to see you are still around Josh! My flight training has been private so far, all in the Diamond DA20 and DA40. Looking into the possibilities of renting a friends plane, a piper warrior. Military flying is still down the road a ways, all just officer training right now.

Yes, the flaps are being preventing for going flush with the wing because of the wing itself not allowing it. It isn't much and from what I've read, I guess its no biggie, which is SO good to know!

Thanks for the info on the BEC, made a lot of sense and cleared it up. I bought the E flite 60A ESC back when I got everything and going through its specs again, it looks like it has a "Switch Mode BEC" so I should be set there.

I read the 1" throw in this thread several pages back, can't remember what page. What exactly do you mean by "units"?

By the way, congrats on the licence! Are you continuing on to earn more ratings?

CurrentDude, I'll upload some pics once I get it completed! Dennis, thanks for your reply, it all helps!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
.....As a result, I am thinking about something a step above the Power 32 for a motor. Not having plough through all 238 pages of this thread, has anyone used a more powerful motor? If so, what have you used? I have always found it easy to throttle back, but one you hit the firewall, you can't get any more...Pete M
Well, Pete the actual motor is Beaver is E-Flite Power 25 (~ 600watts) and Power 32 (~ 800watts). Therefore, Power 32 should safely carry a 8lb model. Is your model going to be more than 8lb?
Power 46 is 925watts but you'll need to use heavy battery + motor itself weighs a lot more than 32.
I wudn't use more powerful motor but may be a 4s LiPo instead. That's my 2p worth
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
Well a little update, and a minute to vent. Has anyone else had to make their own adjustment to EVERY little thing to this plane? I've put up with it until now, the wing flaps were a pain, the rudder came damaged, the covering on the elevator was terrible and a hole on the elevator, the wings don't line up right... those were all the things that set me back and I had to find some way to fix it. And now, I am putting the wing struts on and they don't line up with the pre drilled holes, not even close. So I had to drill a slot in the struts. As I'm screwing in the screws, I slipped on the screwhead and cut a pretty good cut in the bottom of the wing. Also just came across the rudder control horn and tail wheel horn, the kit has the same exact two horns. Not sure what to do there. As I was getting the elevator and rudder in place, the setscrews for the control horns do not fit. I have to tap the control horns now to get the screws to fit in. Now its time to make another run back down to the hobby store when they open to purchase more for this plane so I can try to cover up the ugly puncture. Step after step, this build is just a pain in the butt! For what they charge for it, you'd think the factory could at least make it as pain free as possible. Well thats my rant for now. Putting the plane on timeout for now (haha) and going to try again later. It really has pushed my patience the last 2 yrs, every time I pull it out to work on it. I sure hope it treats me better when it flies.
Last edited by Lunchbox; Jan 22, 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Ran into more problems
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:16 PM
SMASH AND DASH :)
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Feb 2011
83 Posts
anybody out thier willing to donate somethings to my beaver i run the power 32 setup and onyl have the kit and motor
hobbiconexstar is offline Find More Posts by hobbiconexstar