HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Very thoughtful of you! Actually though, we do have our own local HK warehouse in my state of NSW, so I'll get some from there.
Thanks again and have a great New Year,
Steve
Yes sorry, I forgot about that. You have a great New Year as well.

Remember to enjoy life, it has an expiry date!

Cheers,

Bob
Oatmeal Savage is online now Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnaphook View Post
Beautiful "winter" day in Lake Tahoe. Where's the snow?!? The lake was so calm, I just couldn't pass up a chance to fly on the water in December.

http://youtu.be/iVAgpYjGxuU

Happy Holidays.

Juan
Used to live near Sacramento, never saw Lake Tahoe look like that at the end of Dec. Enjoy that while you can.

All of our lakes are full of hard water (i.e. ice) about 30 inches thick.
darylm44 is offline Find More Posts by darylm44
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
I had an "adventurous" maiden today.

I got my Beaver second-hand from our RC Flying Club ex-president as an airframe and servos configuration. I put my own 32-equivalent motor in it, along with a 60A ESC but the problem was batteries - only had some 2200 mAh 3S handy, which were delivering plenty of power with a 3-blade 12x8 prop and the static tests were good, showing a little over 400W. Of course, the issue was they weigh less than the recommended 3200 mAh specimens. I was keen to fly it, so I tolerated the insult of taping some lead to the underside of the cowl until I could get some batteries of the correct capacity (i.e. weight). I checked the CoG three times but it seems I need to do it again because after a smooth take-off she stood on her tail at an altitude of about 40 feet. I got the nose over and reduced the throttle a little and things improved to the point that I considered it was "all good". It wasn't though, because she was only happy flying in a straight line - the slightest bank resulted in a dropped tail and then a wing, so I cut the flight short immediately and got her down for a less-than-graceful touchdown.

I could see from the short time aloft that it will be a really nice bird to fly as soon as I get my act together and get her balanced properly. I've got some 4S batteries which I will now use instead and I expect things to improve considerably.
Interesting, as I use 3s 2200's. You should be able to balance out just fine, provided you're using two packs in parallel. Then you wouldn't need the lead, and would get nice long flight times. I *think* if you just use one 4s batt, you'll run into the same tail-heavy tendencies, unless it's 3200mAh or larger. Can say for sure though, as I only run 2 packs (either 3s or 4s) in parallel, and it balances great either way. Best of luck in your next flight - let us all know how it goes...
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:51 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Thanks JG - yes, I considered 2 x 2200 mAh 3S packs in parallel as it's a much more satisfactory solution if restricted to 3S. Couldn't quite make them fit into the battery cage though - did you make any alterations to yours to get the pair into place?

You're right in your surmising that a single 4S pack won't fix CoG matters unless it's of the region of 3200 mAh or more. I grabbed a 4S battery I had handy which is only 2200 mAh and holding the machine above my head on extended index-finger tips proved that I still needed the lead which I'd taped temporarily to the underside of the cowl for the first flight.

Thanks for the good wishes and yes, I'll report back as I'm looking forward to getting this plane up there doing what the rest of you all know it's capable of!

Happy New Year all ...
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
[QUOTE=Hangar07;20244301]Thanx Bill for heads up on "Tail wheel". TBH, I wasn't happy seeing the tail assembly - thought it needed strengthening. I've read per your suggestion some of the threads, particularly, #2831 - so that's a start. If you've any specific thread in mind then please let me know.

I've already replaced ailerons and flap servo trays with 1/16 ply and reinforced tray holdings on the wing with ply. I think reaction force otherwise might lift the whole thing off the wing !!!

Thank you for your comments on flaps - I'm an avid user of flaps. Our landing strip is relatively small and there are a few trees as well. I fly until almost the last useful amp (but never below 30%) is left in the power pack. So "Flaps" are my saviour.

Cheers

Easy on the Mods, every thing works just fine as designed, and extra weight and effort will not add much to the performance.(it is not broke so no need to fix it.)

The only mod that really helps is the cowl attachment.

For the tail wheel I made a 90* bend in the push rod wire and used wheel colar to hold it in place. easier to get to. Quick connector on the servo for adjustment. It has never come loose and is non critical if it did.

3 position flaps are good, especially for short field approach's

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
The rudder and elevator are up to any flight loads you can give, reinforcing will add weight and make C.G. a problem.

I did break the counter balance off the rudder top from a short field landing that flipped it over and the rudder dug in to the grass. Not much you could do to fix that.

Dennis
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Thanks JG - yes, I considered 2 x 2200 mAh 3S packs in parallel as it's a much more satisfactory solution if restricted to 3S. Couldn't quite make them fit into the battery cage though - did you make any alterations to yours to get the pair into place?

You're right in your surmising that a single 4S pack won't fix CoG matters unless it's of the region of 3200 mAh or more. I grabbed a 4S battery I had handy which is only 2200 mAh and holding the machine above my head on extended index-finger tips proved that I still needed the lead which I'd taped temporarily to the underside of the cowl for the first flight.

Thanks for the good wishes and yes, I'll report back as I'm looking forward to getting this plane up there doing what the rest of you all know it's capable of!

Happy New Year all ...
I think I had to keep the battery cover off when I flew with 2 x 4s - with 2 x 3s it barely fit. The finger cups were what got in the way. Some folks have shaved them off and replaced them with something simple to pull on, like a screw. Seems like a good idea to me...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:00 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,314 Posts
[QUOTE=Dennis C;20281013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar07 View Post
....Easy on the Mods, every thing works just fine as designed, and extra weight and effort will not add much to the performance.(it is not broke so no need to fix it.)

The only mod that really helps is the cowl attachment.

For the tail wheel I made a 90* bend in the push rod wire and used wheel colar to hold it in place. easier to get to. Quick connector on the servo for adjustment. It has never come loose and is non critical if it did.

3 position flaps are good, especially for short field approach's

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
The rudder and elevator are up to any flight loads you can give, reinforcing will add weight and make C.G. a problem.

I did break the counter balance off the rudder top from a short field landing that flipped it over and the rudder dug in to the grass. Not much you could do to fix that.

Dennis
Thanx Dennis for your helpful hints - I've used wheel collars as well (simple but v effective) as I do in most of my models.

It's reassuring to know that rudder and elevators can withstand slight misuse - I'll leave it as it's then. However did your model come with metal horn for rudder? It's thin plastic for my model although I understand that there would be no vertical force on the rudder horn so perhaps I needn't worry.

Another 3 hours to go to usher in the new year.

Best wishes to all for the year 2012.

Happy flying

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cat Undercarriage
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post

Dennis
I did that once too! Didn't hurt the covering or anything; just CA'd the top of the rudder right back on.
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
With helpful suggestions from a couple of you, I managed to get a very satisfactory flight out of mine today. CoG problems resolved, it really leapt into the air and on the occasions I went to full-throttle it was really "hauling the mail". A nice steady platform which was a delight to fly. I've only got to work on the flaps now (it's my first with flaps) and I'll need to do something about mixing in some down elevator as is the conventional practice.

I've still got some homework to do, but this plane is a keeper for sure.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,780 Posts
Nice. This was my first flap bird as well. I use a spektrum dx-7, and my elevator to flap mix was about 12units down at mid-flap and 28units for full flaps. Took a few trial runs to get it where I wanted it to be, but now it's nicely set up. Glad to hear this flight went so much better that the first one.
Happy 2k12...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Jan 01, 2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: re-checked my Tx settings
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:02 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Thanks for your mixing settings JG - gives me a good starting point.
All the best for 2012 too ...
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:23 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
I can not remember on the rudder horn, This is my 2nd Beaver, first met it's expiration date when I lost sight of it on take off behind a big tree.

I liked it so well I bought a new one.

Flap mix will be a little different for each radio depending on how you have it set up.

Just mix enough in that you have a slight decent with the flaps down. Makes for easy landings.

With a 4s 4000mah the battery compartment is tight and will probably need a little surgery.

Dennis
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:06 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,314 Posts
unerringly quiet here - nobody doing any flying? Is there anybody here - knock three times
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cat Undercarriage
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,241 Posts
New Year's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
unerringly quiet here - nobody doing any flying? Is there anybody here - knock three times
Well, since you asked...

Beaver on floats on Lake Tahoe (4 min 46 sec)

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Last edited by jsnaphook; Jan 03, 2012 at 04:00 PM.