HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:41 PM
Mobyal
United States, VA, Lexington
Joined Apr 2007
273 Posts
And what I did was take a pair of 4-40 3/4 socket head screws, cut the heads off, and put them in diagonal holes, add CA, then w/ the screws as guide, mount blocks, one TDC and the other two on the bottom next to the hot air exhaust and just screw the things on. On the flaps, just hogged out the holes, fiddled w/ them until I got them adjusted, then closed the clevis and screwed down the servo mount. Looks good, but could not figure how to get the fuel tubing up over the clevis....
The whole thing was a real PITA!
Mobyal is offline Find More Posts by Mobyal
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:57 PM
Electric baptism 1975
DavidN's Avatar
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
I cut 1mm "washers" of fuel tubing. Slide bolt thru cowl tab & slide on washer which will hold the bolts very sloppily in place. Trial fit. It helps to have enough slack you can pull the cowl forward to look in behind to guide each bolt, only engage the bolt a couple of turns. You may have to widen some of the cowl tab holes to make it work.
3 things help. Propping fuse vertical, hex ball driver & good light into the cowl which is tougher than it sounds.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:13 AM
Registered User
dale4040's Avatar
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
The magnet mod is the easiest solution in my opinion. Takes about 10 minutes and once done the cowl just pulls off and on. Because of the magnet thickness I had to bring the motor forward a bit with another spacer. Done.
dale4040 is offline Find More Posts by dale4040
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyal View Post
...Looks good, but could not figure how to get the fuel tubing up over the clevis....
The whole thing was a real PITA!
The experience must have been so traumatic for me that I blocked it out. Seriously, I can't quite remember what I did, but I think I removed the arms from the servos after completing adjustment, so I could overextend the flaps to get to the clevises, then put them back on. Servos powered and at "flaps up" during the procedure. For my build the fuel tubing was what was hanging up in the tunnels, as I recall.


Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
...Propping fuse vertical, hex ball driver & good light into the cowl which is tougher than it sounds.

Yup, plane nosed over at edge of table, landing gear clamped, gooseneck lamp, sitting on the floor, balancing screws with ball driver. That got old sooo fast. Fuel tubing solved the awkward vertical part, but still way fiddly. That's when I switched to hooked tabs, with the washers glued to the cap screws. Much easier to start the screws without the cowl, then rotate the cowl onto the screws, and finally tighten the screws down. Magnets are dead simple, but I didn't have the magnets at the time, and the dremel was at hand. Plus I still have a fear (probably irrational) that the cowl might pop off without any mechanical restraint to keep it on.

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
I use HS225mg but you might consider digital servos on the flaps. Hitec digital servos can be programmed to work slowly for a more gradual change between flap settings.
rogerleslie is offline Find More Posts by rogerleslie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
Registered User
FTA_FTW's Avatar
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Such a beauty of a plane!


Anyone got one for sale? Please send PM. I am in Ontario Canada.

FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:45 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Oatmeal Savage's Avatar
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale4040 View Post
The magnet mod is the easiest solution in my opinion. Takes about 10 minutes and once done the cowl just pulls off and on. Because of the magnet thickness I had to bring the motor forward a bit with another spacer. Done.
You can see the magnets that were installed in my Beaver. This YouTube video shows all the parts used. Aside from some frustration with the flap linkage, it was a great build.

When I used the magents for the cowl, I didn't have to shim out the motor. In fact, I actually stacked two magnets on the top to achieve perfect cowl alignment and there were no issues with prop spacing.

E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver - Build List (8 min 39 sec)
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2005
1,918 Posts
Oatmeal, great vid. Thanks for sharing. How did your maiden go?
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Oatmeal Savage's Avatar
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
Oatmeal, great vid. Thanks for sharing. How did your maiden go?
It went well thanks. I'm almost ashamed to post the video of the maiden here because I had no idea how to use a camcorder when we did it. The video is really lousy but it will give you an idea of how she flew (like a dream).

I'm much better with the camera now...honest! (lol)

E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver - Maiden Flight (7 min 38 sec)


Here is a link to my YouTube home page if you want to see some better videos. I'll have to get the Beaver up again soon. I've been distracted by a number of builds and have started to get more serious about sport aerobatics and 3D. Unfortunately, scale flying has taken a bit of a backseat.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rgthd007?feature=mhee

Cheers
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
Registered User
Doug Bartley's Avatar
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,790 Posts
Hi Oatmeal Savage: just curiousity, how much does your Beaver weigh (not your wife/ girlfriend -hehe)? You have used heavy components all thru the plane, guys here have used lighter stuff, and still run into the ground looping/ tip stalls. It never a lack of power, even the Eflite 25 is good. At 6 1/2 lbs what i saw was an unfriendly plane that snaps viscoiously if slowed too much. Thats something every flyer wants theri Beaver to do well.
I have a much lighter Unionville 72" Beaver (4lbs,4ozs rtf) that shows none of these tendencies. It has no flaps, but will slow to a crawl on calm days. Yours flies great, some of the best landings I've seen posted, must be pilot skill right!!
Thanks for the video, looks darned good for a first attempt. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:33 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Oatmeal Savage's Avatar
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Hi Oatmeal Savage: just curiousity, how much does your Beaver weigh (not your wife/ girlfriend -hehe)? You have used heavy components all thru the plane, guys here have used lighter stuff, and still run into the ground looping/ tip stalls. It never a lack of power, even the Eflite 25 is good. At 6 1/2 lbs what i saw was an unfriendly plane that snaps viscoiously if slowed too much. Thats something every flyer wants theri Beaver to do well.
I have a much lighter Unionville 72" Beaver (4lbs,4ozs rtf) that shows none of these tendencies. It has no flaps, but will slow to a crawl on calm days. Yours flies great, some of the best landings I've seen posted, must be pilot skill right!!
Thanks for the video, looks darned good for a first attempt. Doug B
Whew, I thought you were getting a little personal there (lol)

Okay, so I just used the Cuisinart Kitchen scale (which is probably pretty accurate) and mine weighs in at a portly 5 pounds 6 ounces (without the battery). A chunk of the extra weight over the claimed weight of 4 pounds, 13 ounces is probably due to the fairly heavy Du-Bro 4 1/2" soft tires. Even with a battery I think I would be lighter than 6 1/2 pounds.
Weight aside, the plane flies great but as you mentioned, doesn't like to take off going too slow with too much elevator or turn too slow and tight with the flaps on.

Hope this helps.
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Last edited by Oatmeal Savage; Dec 01, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2005
1,918 Posts
Oatmeal, I love your scale flying. Nice job with the Beaver. I did mine on floats and it came in at about 6.5 lbs.

I have not experienced any of the tip stall issues and it flies great. I ran the plane through all the common manuevers without issue: snaps, stall turns, slow and fast flight, loops. The stalls drop gracefully nose first, and I really have to try and stall it. I put the CG in the middle of the recommended range.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:25 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Oatmeal Savage's Avatar
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
Oatmeal, I love your scale flying. Nice job with the Beaver. I did mine on floats and it came in at about 6.5 lbs.

I have not experienced any of the tip stall issues and it flies great. I ran the plane through all the common manuevers without issue: snaps, stall turns, slow and fast flight, loops. The stalls drop gracefully nose first, and I really have to try and stall it. I put the CG in the middle of the recommended range.
I wonder if the CG might be a bigger issue on this plane than on many others? That might explain why our Beavers fly well when some others don't? I know of several that have crashed and there's really no difference between their planes and ours except perhaps the CG. I did nothing special during my build.
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:04 AM
Registered User
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
I wonder if the CG might be a bigger issue on this plane than on many others? That might explain why our Beavers fly well when some others don't? I know of several that have crashed and there's really no difference between their planes and ours except perhaps the CG. I did nothing special during my build.
Boy, I have to admit I haven't done any particluar check of CG, other than to fly it inverted and see how much down elevator it took (just mild pressure, not a lot of down), but the other thing I've noticed, is that if you set up throws higher than recommended, epecially on elevator, it becomes twitchy/snappy at stall. I've only tried this up high; it will snap and enter a spin with just elevator if you're over the recommended throws. Not really an issue if you keep to what's recommended and fly it with a modicum of speed. I haven't found any nasty tendencies at very low speeds with a lot of flap, as long as you keep some power on....
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-Flite Six-Series Brushless?? finishman2000 Power Systems 8 Jan 25, 2009 05:58 PM
Sold E-Flite Six Series 2700KV Dora Nine Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Nov 24, 2006 09:04 AM
Discussion E-Flite 'Six Series' for Trex? JustPlaneChris Mini Helis 2 Oct 30, 2006 04:53 PM
For Sale E-Flite Six series 2700KV Dora Nine Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Jul 31, 2006 05:13 PM
For Sale E-Flite Six series outrunner 2000Kv NIB Red Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 May 17, 2006 12:40 PM