159 Posts
Video of the float maiden's finally done. Can't wait to get out again

http://youtu.be/RWrCtktB6GU
dale4040 is offline Find More Posts by dale4040
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:28 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
The Beaver is just such a great looking airplane!!

Nice flying, Try the flaps 1/2 for take off and full for landing.

With full flaps you can have a very steep approach with a little power on. No speed build up and flair, use the throttle to set down. It will really shorten your approach and landing.

I have just a little flap to elevator mix in mine, it just lets me fly a little slower, looks very scale for fly by's and landings, and I do not have to make elevator trim changes to use the flaps.

With the wheels on I can make a 60* dive to the end of the runway and as soon as I level out I am at landing speed. Scarry steep.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:31 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
"I have just a little flap to elevator mix in mine" Is that down elevator? How much approx.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:33 AM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
I use a Futaba 10CAP and use approximately a 2:1 ratio. I had more than enough throw with high rates on aileron, so my aileron differential travels are set up as 85% up aileron, and 40% down. This give a pretty decent axial roll out of that.

I also set up a programable mix curve for the elevator to flap: there are 5 points on the curve. Mine are: pt 1 4%; pt 2 6%; pt 3 9%; pt 4 12%; pt 5 16%. My flaps are set up on the left slider switch on my tx, so I can put in variable amounts of flap; at full flap, the 16% keeps it level and you really can use them almost like speed brakes in a steep dive. Just don't try power off with that much flap, as mentioned!
here ya go...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:50 AM
Spokane, WA
Joined Aug 2009
352 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video, great job flying!! I'll have to get the floats on mine.
pldawg is offline Find More Posts by pldawg
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:08 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
tomorrow is our club float fly, so I am ready and looking forward to a few more flight with the floats.

PSs any body in the sacramento aeria is welcome to join us, we will be at Camp Farwest on the south end.

$10.00 park fee and $10.00 landing and lunch

You need AMA

Dennis
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:13 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
The float fly went great and I am really glad I got Beaver #2,

Lots of coments from every one about how good the Beaver looks flying, Still need to work on my float landings, Maybe to much flap and trying to land to slow= some bouncy landings. those that had a little less elevator were much smother.

Never flipped and never had to engage the boat to go out and retrieve it.

Dennis
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:12 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,272 Posts
Two years ago I bought the kit and I finally maidened her last Friday. Thanks to you guys here, I was able to dial her in without even flying it First takeoff was without flaps. At 3/4 throttle she lifted off without any problems. I climbed to 100' or so and tried out the flaps. No pitch up or down with takeoff/approach flaps and with landing flaps, thanks to the flaps to elevator mix and also a very slow flap extend/retract rate (~6 sec from up to landing flap). My first landing was with full flaps and all I did was flare at about a foot over the water while slowly retarding the throttle. She sliced the water surface with her floats and maiden flight was over. I didn't know there was a lady watching from behind me. She said it looked like I have done that before. I told her that was my first flight with this plane and showed her my not so steady (shaking) hand Thanks to pilotfrank for the kit and floats, and to thermln2 for getting her airworthy.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnaphook View Post
Two years ago I bought the kit and I finally maidened her last Friday. Thanks to you guys here, I was able to dial her in without even flying it First takeoff was without flaps. At 3/4 throttle she lifted off without any problems. I climbed to 100' or so and tried out the flaps. No pitch up or down with takeoff/approach flaps and with landing flaps, thanks to the flaps to elevator mix and also a very slow flap extend/retract rate (~6 sec from up to landing flap). My first landing was with full flaps and all I did was flare at about a foot over the water while slowly retarding the throttle. She sliced the water surface with her floats and maiden flight was over. I didn't know there was a lady watching from behind me. She said it looked like I have done that before. I told her that was my first flight with this plane and showed her my not so steady (shaking) hand Thanks to pilotfrank for the kit and floats, and to thermln2 for getting her airworthy.

Juan
Congratulations on your maiden. It sounded like it went perfectly. Good job!
Oatmeal Savage is online now Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:00 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Congrats Juan - bout damn time! You fly it on the lake? I still haven't strapped up the floats to mine - the tundra tires are pretty fun as it is, plus I'm still flyin around in that little Cub I got from you last year
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:01 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,272 Posts
Hey Josh! Yup, got myself a nice day on the lake. You coming up here again soon? Let's float fly.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:17 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
J-
Deal. I'll give you a holler next time I'm heading up to visit the old man!
-J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:52 PM
Mobyal
United States, VA, Lexington
Joined Apr 2007
276 Posts
I bought mine about 2 years ago. Got it half assembled then put it aside to tackle some other projects. After I got my Horizon Corsair 50 flying late this summer I got it out a couple of weeks ago and now have it finished, except for installing the cabin windows and windshield and setting the control throws. Still wondering who decided to do those flap linkages and cowl mount the way they are.
Hope to maiden next weekend.
Mobyal is offline Find More Posts by Mobyal
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyal View Post
...Still wondering who decided to do those flap linkages and cowl mount the way they are.
Hope to maiden next weekend.
Yeah, lots of fun, no? I had to do a fair bit of grinding in those holes to get enough clearance for the flap control rods.

You could do the magnet cowl mod, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2626, or another method http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=274, if you haven't already. You can also just cut out a notch in the side of each tab, turning them into hooks, and rotate the cowl on with the screws already in place, but loose. If you do this, try gluing the washers to the heads of the cap screws, so they don't end up interfering with the tabs. Tighten the screws after the cowl is in place. I found that a ball driver with fuel tubing on the end to hold the cap screw heads on also works OK. Personally I've used the fuel tubing ball driver method and the notch/hook method, but not the magnet method.

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15