SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:34 AM
Spokane, WA
Joined Aug 2009
352 Posts
I bought one beaver used and they put hs-81's for the ailerons and flaps and I put in hs82mg for the elevator and hs225mg for the rudder, wish I would have just bought two hs225mg's and used that instead of the 82mg for the elevator. I have another beaver sitting NIB so maybe I will build that one up different.
pldawg is offline Find More Posts by pldawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:40 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
HH in the UK says the Beaver is discontinued and no kits or parts are available to order. Does anyone know if it's going to be discontinued in North America as well? If so I will grab the one kit left on the shelf at my lhs for future parts.
dale4040 is offline Find More Posts by dale4040
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:15 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale4040 View Post
HH in the UK says the Beaver is discontinued and no kits or parts are available to order. Does anyone know if it's going to be discontinued in North America as well? If so I will grab the one kit left on the shelf at my lhs for future parts.
noo they cant discontinue the beaver! I was about to get one the other day but i ended up getting the hangar 9 corsair 50. if it isn't going to be discontinued soon then i will be buying one. i just hate having to buy spare parts ahead of time. i really hope they don't discontinue it because it seems like an awesome plane!
ian145 is offline Find More Posts by ian145
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
i emailed john redman and he said the beaver is certainly not being discontinued in the us!
ian145 is offline Find More Posts by ian145
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:52 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Thanks very much for doing that. Good news!
dale4040 is offline Find More Posts by dale4040
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:23 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,924 Posts
Beaver has "history" this side of the pond. Never heard of it when I lived in UK, so maybe not a big seller there.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:44 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
help with my setup

I was fortunate enough to inherit a truck load of quality models from a deceased friend (died in an air race crash) which included a number of large and small electric airees and two large boxes full of large motors and ESC's and batteries, but one of the nicest pieces is this Beaver from e-flite with the matching floats set, ready to fly but with a slightly unusual setup. It has installed the 480kv RC Smart brushless ( http://www.rcecho.com/rc-smart-480-k...r-80a-esc.html )and Turnigy plush 80A ESC, turning a 12x8 three blade scimitar looking prop and a choice of either 4000 3cell or 3000 4cell Lipo's but I have a box full of even 8cell batteries to choose from - the servos etc are all Hitec and seem more standard ..this bird has flown a few times but is in almost new condition. I know my friend had a predilection to things powerful and most of his models were almost over-powered. Can someone look at this and comment on the possible equivelant in a more recognized brand - i.e. how does this compare to the recommended power32 by e-flite?

My questions are around this setup, can anyone comment on it's suitability to this airframe - am I swinging the right prop (that 3 blade looks awesome on the beaver) and what battery should I use - how big should I go with battery??

Another question which is more general but related to this is that most of my models had Spektrum AR7000 or AR6000 and some Orange 2.4 receivers installed but unfortunately the Spektrum transmitter went to a family friend....what radio can i get to bind to these Rx's - I have a Futaba 6EX fasst system but will need a second radio.
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Last edited by wingnutzster; Sep 01, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Fortunate? Personally, I would have preferred to keep the friend rather than inherit a truckload of things from said friend. Guess you're looking on the bright side of things.

That motor doesn't appear to have a direct Eflite Power equivalent, but according to the specs it is more powerful than a Power 32. Not that I trust the RC Smart specs, they seem quite optimistic. Specwise the motor seems more like a Rimfire .55.

Realistically, the motor might be good for about a 1000 Watts, but I doubt it can sustain that. It's rather small for that power level. The case diameter is narrower, and that heatsink looks like it takes up about 30% of the 66mm length. I'd worry about burning it out.

More power than the plane needs, certainly. Search this thread for power setups, you will get a very good idea of what is appropriate for this plane, with or without floats.

The prop is OK, but you have to watch the current draw on the motor. The Turnigy plush 80A ESC will handle the current draw, no prob, as long as it gets cooling air and the motor is reasonably sized.

Spektrum or JR radios will work with the receivers you have.

Regards,

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:24 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
I was obviously devastated by the tragic passing of my good friend, my wording could have been better thought out but my point was simply that I am grateful to have received almost a hangar full (a 23 year) collection of RC. The tragedy and the inherited goods are in my mind separate and my emphasis in this particular forum was on the goods - I have written tons in other forums about him and his crash.

Moving right along...Bruno that is an excellent answer, thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know and can now fly her confident in the setup.
One more question though, in light of the motor being quite adequate would you say it will happily turn a 15x8 3blade (exactly the same as the previously mentioned prop but bigger) on this setup - 80A esc and 5-6 cell Lipo?

P.S I knew this had a scimitar look, researching the prop turned this up: http://www.cermark.com/products/EMP-...15x8-prop.html

...And again, what battery should I use for best endurance and adequate performance (short field etc, but I like scale flying)
Last edited by wingnutzster; Sep 01, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Roger that. I admit being a little shocked at your words, but no offence meant. Truly sorry for your loss.

I think the motor *may* be adequate for the 12 x 8 prop, but I have my doubts. I suspect over time it will fail in flight due to overheating. The motor looks undersized to me. I do not believe it will be able to live up to its specifications. I think 600 Watts is more reasonable for that motor, not 1000 Watts or more.

I would *not* put a 15 x 8 prop on that motor. You will draw too much current, and definitely burn out the motor. Maybe the ESC, too. Plus it's way too much prop for the plane, and reduces your ground clearance. Also it won't look scale at all with a big prop.

If I were you, I would leave well enough alone, and try flying conservatively with the 4S battery. If you have a watt meter, measure the current draw for both the 3S and 4S setups with that prop and motor. If the current draw exceeds 50 amps at full throttle, you will end up in trouble. Again, given how small that motor is relative to its specifications, I would feel far more comfortable if the setup topped out at no more than 40 to 45 amps.

Note that the condition and quality of your battery packs will have a significant effect on the maximum current you can draw out of your packs. If they are not in good condition, or are simply unable to handle the needed discharge current, they will not allow your motor to reach full power. They could also puff up or perhaps even ignite.

OK, now that all the dire warnings are out of the way, good luck, and have fun! I'm sure you'll enjoy the plane, and IMHO it's a fitting way to celebrate your friend's life and remember him by.

Regards,

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:32 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,924 Posts
The original reviewer in AMA used a 3 bladed 12x8 with eflite 32 & was happy.
The Kv of this motor is 480 cf 770 of the 32 or 990 of the 25, so your RPM will be approximately 2/3 of the 32 or 1/2 the 25.Assuming reported Kv accurate
If it were me, I would remove the cowl for testing (do magnet conversion when off) Start with 5s check amps/watts, temps & RPM. You may find that this ends up too heavy or there are battery fit problems. On the other hand flying it as intended might sit well with your friend's memory.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:50 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
Thank you guys, I will get back to you with some numbers tomorrow (it's evening here in SA) but i feel better already. I think I am doing him proud by even asking before flying...he could be a little reckless at times
What I have done so far is run it with my radio system in place and a 5cell just to get a feel for that motor - no numbers or tests or anything and I can tell you that the 12x8 3blade produced far more thrust (harder to hold back and keep the tail down) than the 2 blade 13x5...I also noticed when I was lifting the tail in the propwash, as soon as I extended the flaps the airflow was disrupted enough over the empennage to drop the tail right down on the ground again! Interesting

I tend to overthink the dynamics of RC airees since I am building an RV-7A full size full time but I thought that note worthy.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:48 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
422 Posts
So I didn't get to test her last night and might not get a chance at all before she flies - I have been asked to do a little flying display at a Fly-in in memory of our dear friend and I thought the beaver with 'smoke on' would be the highlight. Wow I have a lot to do to get her and myself ready to fly a display!!

Will be sure to post some video footage of the beaver display and some pics of my smoke pellet pylon mod on Monday for those who might like to see that - I think the beaver is going to be great for some low and slow (full flap) and fast passes
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Maidened Beaver number 2 yesterday

Power 32
CC Phoenix Ice 75
Apc 13x6.5
Zippy 4s 400

the battery is a tight fit, I was afraid I would have to do surgery to get them in.

What can I say it flew great, Half flaps for take off and full flap landings.

Easy on the rudder for take off, and hold a bit of elevator for taxi.

I got a little carried away with the rudder on on take off and had to abort, started a nasty ground loop. no problem, jus taxi back and go again.

Loops ,rolls stall turns all good. Slow fly by at both half and full flap.

Just like I remembered a great fun sport scale. I really like the flaps, they make a real difference, just use a bit of power to stretch the glide.

Next the cockpit and a little detailing

Float fly comming up in a couple of weeks so now I am ready.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:50 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Thanks guys I had to do the cockpit detail, a little rough but you can not see that close with the wing on. Still looks prety cool

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C