SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:25 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
EB,
I don't have any servo slowing on my Beaver/Dx-7, and although the flap actuation doesn't look scale, it works just fine. If it's scale looks your after, I'd go for one of the servoslow setups mentioned above, otherwise I'd leave it as is.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:58 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
That's one of the main reasons I have my flaps on a slider switch: I can control the rate with my forefinger as they come down without taking my hands off the "sticks"...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Scale Beaver

I was bored last winter so I decided to see how far I could scale the E-Flite beaver.
I had scale flat top floats made for the beaver by Roger at Sea Commander floats in Canada. He also supplied the raw material for the float struts and saddle. I added scale nav lights with pilot and interior. I also had to go with a 46 size motor and do a lot of fiber glass reinforcing because of the added weight. It took a long time to fabricate the float struts, they come in raw lengths and you have to shape all the strut connections and drill them out perfectly in order for everything to go together properly, including where they attach to the fuse. I throughout the wing struts that came with the model and fabricated scale ones from aluminum tear drop tubing I purchased at my local hobby store. I made them structural so they could compensate for the higher wing loading. I also added the tail fins which really help straighten the tail out in flight. She also has scale rudders on both floats which makes take offs much better because of her weight she takes off at a much higher speed.

I will tell you she flies great and better then the original version no question. However I would not recommend this because it is not worth the money and time.
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:14 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velyter View Post
I was bored last winter so I decided to see how far I could scale the E-Flite beaver.
I had scale flat top floats made for the beaver by Roger at Sea Commander floats in Canada. He also supplied the raw material for the float struts and saddle. I added scale nav lights with pilot and interior. I also had to go with a 46 size motor and do a lot of fiber glass reinforcing because of the added weight. It took a long time to fabricate the float struts, they come in raw lengths and you have to shape all the strut connections and drill them out perfectly in order for everything to go together properly, including where they attach to the fuse. I throughout the wing struts that came with the model and fabricated scale ones from aluminum tear drop tubing I purchased at my local hobby store. I made them structural so they could compensate for the higher wing loading. I also added the tail fins which really help straighten the tail out in flight. She also has scale rudders on both floats which makes take offs much better because of her weight she takes off at a much higher speed.

I will tell you she flies great and better then the original version no question. However I would not recommend this because it is not worth the money and time.
She's gorgeous mate...
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:41 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
She's gorgeous mate...
Thank you.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:41 PM
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Joined May 2003
225 Posts
What size are those floats if I may ask?
Efloatflyer is offline Find More Posts by Efloatflyer
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:51 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efloatflyer View Post
What size are those floats if I may ask?
They are 33" long
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:49 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
What would be a hitec substitution for the mn48... Have a TH gift cert I have to use... After a year of collecting dust it's time to start building lol
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:04 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3313 View Post
What would be a hitec substitution for the mn48... Have a TH gift cert I have to use... After a year of collecting dust it's time to start building lol

What is a mn48? TH = tower hobby?
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:16 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3313 View Post
I'd go with the Hitec HS 225MG (Metal Gear) servos
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:17 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
What is a mn48? TH = tower hobby?
It's a JR servo. A Main Hobbies amongst others.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:02 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
It's a JR servo. A Main Hobbies amongst others.
Thanks.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:20 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.
I used the Hitec HS 225MG's in my Beaver and think they were a good choice. They're available from Tower Hobbies and others.
Last edited by Oatmeal Savage; Aug 09, 2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: complete the response
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
Here's an old link where someone asked the same servo question:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857462
HS 225's, and 422's were the suggested substitutions.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
thanks
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313