HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
i might install it if i get one in the kit, but i don't think i would pay 30$ extra for one.
ian145 is offline Find More Posts by ian145
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian145 View Post
i might install it if i get one in the kit, but i don't think i would pay 30$ extra for one.
Good call. It's not worth $30 IMHO
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Forget the one from E flite! Build your own and enjoy your scale look inside. Even if you can't really see it, I had a blast creating and vacuum forming my own version. You can then make the floor, where the front seats are, so that you have room to put in a long Dubro hex driver into the fuse and undo the front wheel mounts to put on floats. That's what I did, see page 218...

JW
jwheli is offline Find More Posts by jwheli
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheli View Post
Forget the one from E flite! Build your own and enjoy your scale look inside. Even if you can't really see it, I had a blast creating and vacuum forming my own version. You can then make the floor, where the front seats are, so that you have room to put in a long Dubro hex driver into the fuse and undo the front wheel mounts to put on floats. That's what I did, see page 218...

JW
wow that cockpit looks amazing!!! i was thinking about building my own but it seems pretty hard to make it look very good.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
Bob, how are the hs 225 mg servos working for you? did you have to cut out any wood to make them fit? also i know you are just using such a big esc because you aready had it, but do you or anyone else think that the 60 amp e-flite esc cant quite handle all 6 servos and a power 32 on a 4s?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:19 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Bob, how are the hs 225 mg servos working for you? did you have to cut out any wood to make them fit? also i know you are just using such a big esc because you aready had it, but do you or anyone else think that the 60 amp e-flite esc cant quite handle all 6 servos and a power 32 on a 4s?
Hi Ian,

The Hitec HS-225MG's fit in perfectly with no surgery required. I got surprised the other day because with an E-Flite Extra 300 32e I'm building, er I mean assembling, it called for the JR MN 48's like the Beaver. I had some extra 225's but they wouldn't fit it the Extra 300. The servo cutouts were made for the skinner JR servos. The servo cutouts on the Beaver are more generous and the 225's fit like a glove.

As for the esc, I think the 60 amp esc will be fine. Being risk adverse at heart, I'd feel pretty comfortable running the 60 amp along with a BEC. The Extra 300 I'm building will use the same power, a Power 32 on 4s and I'm going to use the E-Flite 60amp esc. with a BEC (only 4 servos)

I'd say you'll be fine. Have fun with the build!

Cheers,

Bob
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
i will definitely be using hs 225's in this plane, i think that they are much better quality that the mn 48's. so is a BEC just to power the servos incase the esc burns out while flying?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:53 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jan 2010
159 Posts
Yes and after witnessing a motor smoke because of a bad esc it's money well spent in my opinion.
dale4040 is offline Find More Posts by dale4040
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:09 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
i will definitely be using hs 225's in this plane, i think that they are much better quality that the mn 48's. so is a BEC just to power the servos incase the esc burns out while flying?
The servos and the receiver draw power from the BEC instead of the ESC during flight. This ensures an ample suppy of regulated power from the flight pack and does not tax the bec that is built into the esc.

And as mentioned, if your ESC fries, you still have main battery power to your receiver and servos so you can control the plane back down to the ground.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:06 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Definitely would recommend 225MG's; I stripped the rudder servo on the Beaver using plastic gear 225's. Not really the servo's fault; I had a bind in the tailwheel bracket I didn't see (clevis was hitting the plywood rear former), but I was surprised at how easily the plastic 225 stripped. Plastic gear servos for the rest of the surfaces are fine; the rudder sees more abuse with the dual control rods for rudder and tailwheel, not to mention if you install floats and use the water rudder too...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
i always use metal gear servos so that i rarely have to replace them and they are more reliable.

Bob, is this the bec that you are using?http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=CSECCBECPRO
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:20 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
i always use metal gear servos so that i rarely have to replace them and they are more reliable.

Bob, is this the bec that you are using?http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=CSECCBECPRO
Hi Ian,

Yes it is but it is overkill for this set-up. This one would do quite nicely and save you a few bucks:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=CSECCBEC

Cheers,

Bob
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
Hi Ian,

Yes it is but it is overkill for this set-up. This one would do quite nicely and save you a few bucks:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=CSECCBEC

Cheers,

Bob
i was looking at that one, but it is out of stock so i might just spend a little extra it get it sooner.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:07 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,895 Posts
Ian,
You might also consider posting a wanted ad in the radio classifieds. Seems like one of those CC BECs gets sold every 3 or 4 days.
Also, here's another option in the RCG classifieds (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=bec). It's a BEC from Dimension Engineering. They make great stuff (although the one this person is selling looks like it's had a few more that the advertised "4 flights" - maybe you could barter them down a bit).
-Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,895 Posts
For all you BEC users out there...

This is pretty cool too - it's a short build guide for making a BEC jumper, so that one BEC can be used in multiple planes. Definitely on my list of "to-do's"
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...g/BEC_plug.htm
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member